Who do you follow online? (youtube, etc.)

Posted by: TeacherRO

Who do you follow online? (youtube, etc.) - 10/28/20 10:55 PM

Which channels - Blogs, teachers, youtubers do you follow for good information, reviews, etc?
Posted by: pforeman

Re: Who do you follow online? (youtube, etc.) - 10/28/20 11:27 PM

One of the sites I check regularly is Survival Blog - https://survivalblog.com/

I find it is an interesting mix of information and insight. Another site I check now and again and often find interesting information is Backwoods Home - http://www.backwoodshome.com/

Since I've become a Ham... pause for laugh... I am also looking at the following:
https://offgridham.com/
https://www.amateurradio.com/

I'll also 'cruse' the interwebs by doing a search for a general topic such as, "Stay warm when the power is out" and have found several good (some bad) articles. On occasion I've even found some sites/articles when searching topics that are so bad as to be a welcome laugh... sad to say the authors are often serious but unknowingly ridiculous.

I'll also check some news sites that are "Aggregate Link" sites where many sources are presented with headlines and/or brief intro information. I've found some good things that way too.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Who do you follow online? (youtube, etc.) - 10/29/20 12:55 AM

Forgotten Weapons....9 hole reviews... Glen and Friends cooking (originated from a link from Great Depression Era cooking... Bearded Butchers...Kent Rolling Cowboy cooking
Posted by: haertig

Re: Who do you follow online? (youtube, etc.) - 10/29/20 05:53 AM

I don't "follow" any, but some I return to often. Nothing related to preparedness though.

When I'm learning a new classical piano piece, I often go listen to a recording of it performed by this performer. She even the terribly difficult stuff look easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iotQkDWiwCs

If I want to hear an analysis/breakdown of a more recent song, the "What Makes This Song Great?" series by this guy is fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWp417CF7fY
Posted by: Ren

Re: Who do you follow online? (youtube, etc.) - 10/29/20 03:57 PM

From my subs on YouTube

Survival Russia
https://www.youtube.com/c/SurvivalRussia

In fairly remote rural area of Russia's tagia. Mix of daily life, outdoors and survival especially in extreme cold weather.

David Pearson aka Reallybigmonkey1
https://www.youtube.com/user/Reallybigmonkey1

Bushcrafter, gear maker.

Almazan Kitchen
https://www.youtube.com/c/AlmazanKitchen

Outdoor cooking at it's finest.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Who do you follow online? (youtube, etc.) - 10/30/20 06:56 PM

I'm a huge fan of Paul Harrell's firearm videos.

And... Toot! Toot! goes my own horn. Lol!
-Blast
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Who do you follow online? (youtube, etc.) - 10/30/20 07:07 PM

I´ll second that. There is a lot of good information. Without his channel I would not have been prepared for the coming Jack o´ Lantern menace.
His Shasta commercial is priceless.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Who do you follow online? (youtube, etc.) - 10/30/20 07:26 PM

I regularly visit:
Paul Harrell
Arizona Ghostriders
Steve1989MREInfo
Cowboy Kent Rollins
CanyonChasers
PostmodernJukebox
Bret Tkacs
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: Who do you follow online? (youtube, etc.) - 10/31/20 10:35 AM

Posted this some time ago.
Watchmojo

Top 10 Ultimate Survival Youtube Channels

https://youtu.be/fpyVv7hnS54

Of these;
KGB survivalist hasn't posted anything in ages.
Alfie hardly posts.
Survival Lilly ::::: sigh :::: isn't she wonderful? is still going strong.
Black Scout Survival has gone completely bonkers and think the US is going to have a civil war next Wednesday.

Was a shock at the start of the pandemic when survival sites had lots of prepper content and realised from the comments these people are delusional.
Apart from the 'Election Plans' thread we have thankfully avoided this stuff.
If I'm wrong I'll happily apologise to you if you post a list of the people you had to shoot because they thought the best response to their side losing was to attack your house.

qjs
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Who do you follow online? (youtube, etc.) - 10/31/20 05:20 PM

I am not a serious prepper by any means. Just a regular city guy who likes to somehow protect family and loved ones away from troubling times and troubling people.

I do follow folks like Dave Canterburry and Survival Lilly on You tube, but have no plans of bugging out to the wilderness in bad situations. Rather , I am sticking to urban areas (maybe bugging out from one town to another if need be). In this context, dealing with different types of personalities is one of my interests. And one of the most important types I need to learn more about is : narcissist personalities. So, I do follow some pages about them on Instagram and other social media, and You Tube of course.

Trust me, you don't want to have a narcissist in your inner circle any time in your life, and if it is a survival situation, it is much much worse.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Who do you follow online? (youtube, etc.) - 11/01/20 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: chisel
Trust me, you don't want to have a narcissist in your inner circle any time in your life, and if it is a survival situation, it is much much worse.

The Magnet family is going through this right now and while there’s no survival situation it continues to be colossally not fun.

Outside of blood relations I’ve spent the last ten years going on what I call a toxic a*****e purge diet, and there isn’t a person I’ve stopped talking to that I miss. The blood relations are a different story.

Re: Who do you follow online? (youtube, etc.) - 11/01/20 05:26 AM

Blood-related narcissists are a nightmare.
Surviving them is a skill that all of us should learn.
Yep. If you have a narcissist in your life, every minute is SHTF.

Re: Who do you follow online? (youtube, etc.) - 11/01/20 05:34 AM

Quote:
and while there’s no survival situation it continues to be colossally not fun

Just imagine being in a survival situation, with a blindly self-centered narcissist who doesn't care about the group, and cannot comprehend the dangers and problems around that need everyone's cooperation, dedication, and ahem... selflessness. I don't want to even imagine how it will be like.

Re: Who do you follow online? (youtube, etc.) - 11/01/20 03:48 PM

I must be lucky - I don't know any narcissists, not that I can readily identify anyway. I can't think of a single family member or friend that I would not want to have with me in a survival situation. I have one or two that might need a little extra training because they're a bit on the "less knowledgeable" side regarding some things, but they're not that way because of narcissism or other negative personality traits. I don't mind training someone how to sharpen a knife if they've never done it before. Or how to safely handle a firearm. Some may have never started a fire without the help of charcoal lighter fluid or a tank of propane. But those experience deficiencies could be easily remedied, and they would be valuable members of the team.

Re: Who do you follow online? (youtube, etc.) - 11/02/20 11:41 AM

Indeed you are lucky. A narcissist is not a person who only lacks the knowledge of starting a fire, but a person who wants EVERYTHING to be done their way. They do not take NO for an answer. They will not allow you to focus on survival, because they want everyone to focus on them.

Their existence in a group, IMO, is worse that SHTF.

Re: Who do you follow online? (youtube, etc.) - 11/02/20 11:45 AM

Sorry guys
I may have derailed the thread. Apologies.

I just feel this subject hasn't been covered enough in many forums; from prepper forums to family forums. Narcissists have destroyed families and relations, yet the subject seems to be invisible to alot of people.

Re: Who do you follow online? (youtube, etc.) - 11/03/20 07:25 PM

Difficult to believe it could happen I know, but imagine if a narcissist became president.
Qjs
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Who do you follow online? (youtube, etc.) - 11/03/20 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
Difficult to believe it could happen I know, but imagine if a narcissist became president.

That would be bad if it were to ever happen.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Who do you follow online? (youtube, etc.) - 11/03/20 09:55 PM

Even weirder, imagine if a narcissist wasn't president! There's an old saying that anyone crazy enough to want to be president isn't fit for the job. grin

Re: Who do you follow online? (youtube, etc.) - 11/04/20 11:48 AM

There was one American president who didn't seek the job, or want it and reacted when he was told the state governors had unanimously chosen him to be president, as he would a death sentence (there was a good chance it was one):
Jeff Davis.

Wikipedia on Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
'People with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) are characterized by the personality traits of persistent grandiosity, an excessive need for admiration, and a personal disdain and lack of empathy for other people.[7][8] As such, the person with NPD usually displays arrogance and a distorted sense of personal superiority, and seeks to establish abusive power and control over others.... people with NPD typically value themselves over others, to the extent of openly disregarding the wishes and feelings of anyone else, and expect to be treated as superior, regardless of their actual status or achievements.[7][10] Socially, the person with narcissistic personality disorder usually exhibits a fragile ego (self-concept), intolerance of criticism, and a tendency to belittle other people, in order to validate their own superiority.'

We can all be thankful no one like that has ever been president.
qjs

Re: Who do you follow online? (youtube, etc.) - 11/04/20 07:21 PM

Is this an excerpt from the "minimum requirements" section of a job application for Congress/ThePresidency?

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
'People with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) are characterized by the personality traits of persistent grandiosity, an excessive need for admiration, and a personal disdain and lack of empathy for other people.[7][8] As such, the person with NPD usually displays arrogance and a distorted sense of personal superiority, and seeks to establish abusive power and control over others.... people with NPD typically value themselves over others, to the extent of openly disregarding the wishes and feelings of anyone else, and expect to be treated as superior, regardless of their actual status or achievements.[7][10] Socially, the person with narcissistic personality disorder usually exhibits a fragile ego (self-concept), intolerance of criticism, and a tendency to belittle other people, in order to validate their own superiority.'