Improvised smoke filter

Posted by: AKSAR

Improvised smoke filter - 09/12/20 07:33 PM

A member of my extended clan who lives in the currently smoke choked Pacific Northwest found a good article on how to improvise a filter to remove smoke from the air in your house.

She built one, and reports that it really does help. Running it in her bedroom, she was able to get a decent night's sleep. When she came downstairs in the morning to the rest of the house (where the filter had not been running) she immediately had a cough and watering eyes. Sitting in front of it while working from home provided relief.

Better Box Fan Air Purifier
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Improvised smoke filter - 09/12/20 10:09 PM

Great idea! I'm filing it away for later use. Right now the air is fine here but it looks like a good measure for smoke and allergens.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Improvised smoke filter - 09/12/20 11:40 PM

Excellent. Heavy fire smoke is almost like being under siege. I've tried it with one filter in the past but the fan was not happy. This is much better.
Posted by: brandtb

Re: Improvised smoke filter - 09/13/20 01:25 AM

Does the fan push air into the box or pull it out?

Re: Improvised smoke filter - 09/13/20 01:43 AM

I would think the best way would be to pull it through but I'm not 100% on that.
Posted by: DaveL

Re: Improvised smoke filter - 09/13/20 01:56 AM

If your home has forced air furnace, Air conditioning depending on the age of the system,a duct that brings in fresh air from the outside is connected to the return air duct work.
This will allow smoke and fine ash in to the residence. You can tape plastic over the outside screen . Make sure to remove this obstruction when the the situation has passed .
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Improvised smoke filter - 09/13/20 05:59 AM

Furnace filters are designed for pull-through air. Good ones are directional -- there is an indicator printed right on them.

Re: Improvised smoke filter - 09/13/20 07:08 AM

Thanks, Doug! I thought so but wasn't sure.