RSK Mk1-G2 Grind Angle

Posted by: KenK

RSK Mk1-G2 Grind Angle - 08/17/20 02:25 PM

Over the weekend my dear wife completely surprised me with a birthday gifted Doug Ritter RSKŪ Mk1-G2 full size orange handle knife. I'd only seen one other in person. I am stunned by the beauty of the handle texture, and holy crap that thing is sharp!!

QUESTION: Does anyone know the RSK Mk1-G2 blade grind angle?

It's usually listed in Doug's product descriptions, but I don't see it for this lovely newish knife.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: RSK Mk1-G2 Grind Angle - 08/17/20 03:38 PM

Nice!
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: RSK Mk1-G2 Grind Angle - 08/17/20 04:44 PM

You wife is a keeper, IMHO. The edge is hand sharpened to 34-40 degrees inclusive (17 - 20 degrees per side). It is really sharp from the factory. Sometimes I think we should include band-aids given how many new owners cut themselves. :=)

Enjoy!

Re: RSK Mk1-G2 Grind Angle - 08/17/20 10:27 PM

The first knife my wife ever gave me was the original RSK Mk1. She's a keeper too cool.

Re: RSK Mk1-G2 Grind Angle - 08/19/20 01:34 AM

I've probably mentioned this here before, but back in 2012 my amazing wife gave me a Doug Ritter RSK Mk2 Perseverance (#254) for Father's Day. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I'd already purchased one (#013).

So now I am the proud owner of two of them. I have two kids, so that only makes sense ... doesn't it??

Doug, are you by chance working on developing my wife's next gift???

Oh, I should also ask ... I used a Spyderco Sharpmaker for knife sharpening. It offers a choice of 20 degrees or 15 degrees, per side. Do you have a suggestion on which I should use for the Mk1-G2 full size? I lean toward the 15 degree - what I used for the first generation Mk1 knives.

Re: RSK Mk1-G2 Grind Angle - 08/19/20 01:49 AM

I use a Sharpmaker at 20 degrees (mine is very old and is marked 40deg for the edge and 30deg for back bevel). I'm very happy with the results.

Re: RSK Mk1-G2 Grind Angle - 08/19/20 02:24 PM

Thanks for your insight! Stay healthy!!!!