What you don't see...

Posted by: TeacherRO

What you don't see... - 07/11/20 09:33 PM

Often surprised by what I don't see
- no masks on 50% of the public
- no umbrella when its raining
- when fixinging something almost no one has a flashlight, gloves or a knife.
- No hat in Winter
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: What you don't see... - 07/12/20 04:44 AM

Yeah, most people have a pretty narrow set of expectations for their day and not much gear or ability to improvise if things go wrong.

For my own part, I wasn't 100% about mask wearing at the beginning because there were simply no masks to be purchased at any price! Now I have a dozen washable masks and reliably wear one whenever I'm out in public.
Posted by: ki7he

Re: What you don't see... - 07/13/20 01:42 AM

Who wants to keep track of an umbrella? If it's raining I wear a Gortex jacket with a hood. If I get wet... it's water and I'll dry. If I'm in the wilderness I avoid cotton and wear synthetics or wool.

Hat in winter? I wear one when it gets cold enough. If I'm not cold I don't. I don't wear one for the sake of wearing one.

The others I do have.
Posted by: haertig

Re: What you don't see... - 07/13/20 02:04 AM

In the winter, I have a hat (actually a cap) in my coat pocket. And gloves too. I wear them if I need them, otherwise they just stay in the pockets. I figure, if I don't need a coat, then I don't need a hat or gloves either, so it's safe to leave all the items together in one package. Most of my coats have hoods as well, because especially if it's windy, I want both a hat and a hood.
Posted by: Herman30

Re: What you don't see... - 07/13/20 06:19 AM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Often surprised by what I don't see
- No hat in Winter

Yeah, hard to imagine. I hardly ever go outside without anything on my head summertime. Wintertime never outside without a hat.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: What you don't see... - 07/13/20 01:45 PM

Outside of buildings I do not wear a mask. That is unhealthy. I do carry a belt knife (a little more visible than before COVID-19). People tend to keep an appropriate distance. More than 50% of the public who wear a mask wear it in way that does not inhibit exhaling.
I do not even own an umbrella. I wear a wide brimmed Akubra hat. That is enough protection in rain or sun. It serves well in winter too.
I carry a flashlight and gloves but I keep them out of sight until I need them.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: What you don't see... - 07/13/20 04:33 PM

In general, I prefer an umbrella for short walks (parking lot to the building) and a rain shell for longer walks. My new favorite rain shell is from Goruck. It was super spendy but rugged, comfortable, and breathable.
Posted by: Tyber

Re: What you don't see... - 07/13/20 07:10 PM

The observation you see is that most people are used to running from car to house, from Mall to car. They are often "trained" to know that the warmth/light/protection is just a few feet away.

If you have done SAR, or been out in the boonies or just anyplace where if you don't have it on you then you DON'T have it. Me, I carry more than I need and I don't care..

Though my due diligence has a tendency to backfire on me as my friends just expect me to have everything THEY need on me.. I do have to remind them that I am not there utility belt.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: What you don't see... - 07/14/20 01:38 PM

People who don't turn on their lights with their wipers.
People who roll though stop signs.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: What you don't see... - 07/27/20 10:10 PM

Seeing much more mask compliance, though about 5% are wearing them wrong.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: What you don't see... - 07/28/20 12:32 AM

The governor of Montana implemented an EO mandating masks for everyone going out in public for any county with more than 4 cases of CoV-2 (so basically all of the bigger ones). Compliance has generally been good but I saw one person today at Costco that put hers in her pocket once she got inside and a couple guys that were wearing them with their noses sticking out. Really helpful. whistle
Posted by: haertig

Re: What you don't see... - 07/28/20 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Seeing much more mask compliance, though about 5% are wearing them wrong.

Only 5%? Around here, a lot more than that. My wife and I have fun poking fun at them (and hopefully prodding them to do better in the future). We label them "nosers" or "chinnys", depending on if their nose is sticking out or the mask is only covering their chin.

Nosers are worth 3, chinnys 7, based on the amount of virus they are likely to spread.

We'll look at their group, giggle, and say in loud enough to be heard quiet voices, "Two nosers and a chinny, that's 13 points!" Then continue on our way, pointing towards some other distant group and muttering about point count. Hopefully they got the message. Big groups are fun, and they help sharpen your math skills.

Personally, I don't think masks do much of anything. But it's fun to mess with people who are too stupid to wear one correctly in the first place.