Boring gear

Posted by: TeacherRO

Boring gear - 06/04/20 07:08 PM

from another thread; Much of the gear that actually gets used is actually quite dull:
- Debit card
- water bottle
- jacket
- pen
- cell phone
- protein bar
- bandana
- spare keys
- id card
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Boring gear - 06/04/20 08:58 PM

I'd add pocket knife & small flashlight. Always on my keyring and used nearly every day.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Boring gear - 06/04/20 09:06 PM

I cannot overemphasize the value of a good pair of shoes or boots.

Re: Boring gear - 06/04/20 09:08 PM

Not for EDC but for the woods I'd include trekking poles and crampons. The former is useful in tons of circumstances and when you need the latter they're extremely helpful.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Boring gear - 06/04/20 11:54 PM

Situational awareness is surprisingly light and effective.

Re: Boring gear - 06/05/20 12:00 AM

+1 on items listed above, esp. walking boots/shoes.

Clothing that protects from the elements.

Spare door key for my car.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Boring gear - 06/05/20 03:27 PM

I was glad to find that my Tacoma driver's door could be opened without a "chipped" key... so had one cut, and hidden under the bed in a magnetic key safe, that allows access to the glove box with the spare chip key... or I could just smash the window smile

Re: Boring gear - 06/05/20 03:44 PM

The spare key in my wallet has saved me from major hassles several times. It's easy to set down my chip key out of range of the the receiver but still inside the car ... and then lock the door out of habit. Argh!
Posted by: Janysboy

Re: Boring gear - 06/06/20 07:22 PM

My wife and I keep spare keys in a closet. If one of us needs it, a quick call to the other suffices.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Boring gear - 06/07/20 02:10 AM

Honestly, I was wondering why there was a post about drilling holes on the forum. Ha!
Posted by: KenK

Re: Boring gear - 06/07/20 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I cannot overemphasize the value of a good pair of shoes or boots.

This afternoon I put on an old pair of water shoes that I stole from my son. After working a bit just off the shoreline (getting ready to put in a new pier) I walked back to the house wondering why I had so much grit inside the shoes. A quick look found that the soles had cracked and started falling apart. Now I need a good pair of water shoes!

But seriously, I'm a person who struggles finding shoes & boots that work for me. The best I've found are Men’s Timberland PRO TITAN EH (Oxford) Soft Toe Work Shoes.

They also make taller versions - Timberland PRO TiTAN 6" Composite Toe - which I bought recently to keep chips out when chainsawing, but haven't used enough to comment.
Posted by: gulliamo

Re: Boring gear - 06/08/20 02:54 AM

Sunglasses. Must have.

Re: Boring gear - 06/08/20 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: gulliamo
Sunglasses. Must have.

+1 to this! As a blue-eyed fellow I find sunglasses to be an absolute necessity. I actually keep two pairs of ANSI-rated safety glasses in my day pack and car; one is charcoal tinted and the other is clear. When I was a kid my dad lost his right eye in a construction accident when a nail head flew into his eye. Cheap safety glasses would have given him almost 40 more years of having both eyes. That lesson was not lost on me.

Re: Boring gear - 06/28/20 08:42 AM

Totally agreed on sunglasses — I have them stashed everywhere. Mine are ballistic rated.
Posted by: Janysboy

Re: Boring gear - 06/29/20 10:04 AM

Shopping at Walmart, I found some reading glasses for 10 dollars. They're 3.0 diopters and give me adequately corrected vision both distant and close enough for reading. No affiliation of course.

Re: Boring gear - 06/29/20 01:29 PM

Spare glasses, for me, in every kit!

Re: Boring gear - 07/06/20 08:20 PM

I think most peppers 2nd piece of gear is a simple water bottle.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Boring gear - 07/07/20 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Spare glasses, for me, in every kit!

Up vote on this one. I was walking around my house the other day and I collected all the various sets of reading glasses I stashed around the house - 15 to be exact! laugh And 3 pair of sunglasses. That took me by surprise. A few are scratched up and could be thrown out (i.e. recycled).

Re: Boring gear - 08/12/20 10:41 PM

I only use sunglasses when driving, but when I need them, they're essential.

Re: Boring gear - 08/13/20 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
I was walking around my house the other day and I collected all the various sets of reading glasses I stashed around the house - 15 to be exact! laugh And 3 pair of sunglasses.

Seems perfectly normal to me! cool
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Boring gear - 08/16/20 10:45 AM

The hook
Looks like dead weight
Isn't it ??
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Boring gear - 08/16/20 10:46 AM

Even the "pliers" seems to me like unpractical
But the hook !!!
Posted by: Ren

Re: Boring gear - 08/16/20 01:37 PM

Some models have hooks that have file surface on the back edge of the hook. Though don't think that model, the Deluxe Tinker, does.

Think the original use was to provide a T handle to carry string bound parcels. Have heard of them being used to carry plastic bags more comfortably.

If don't think the pliers look up to much, the Super Tinker provides the same set of tools without the pliers.

And the Tinker removes the scissors, pliers and hook.
Posted by: williamlatham

Re: Boring gear - 08/17/20 02:32 PM

Yes, the hook was to carry bundles that were tied up with string. Could also be used when you need to pull on a loop of something.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Boring gear - 08/17/20 05:24 PM

Speaking from experience, the hook is actually very useful for helping to pull uncooperative wet /frozen boot laces. It is painfully amazing how stubborn frozen boot laces can be when it is -20F temperatures.

Re: Boring gear - 08/18/20 02:28 AM

I always used the corkscrew for stubborn laces and knots. Works brilliantly.

Re: Boring gear - 09/03/20 03:42 AM

Very boring water bottle

Re: Boring gear - 10/01/20 10:27 PM

A jacket is both the most boring and one of the most useful pieces of gear I've found.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Boring gear - 10/01/20 11:03 PM

Fast food packets of salt. These are critical in hot locations like Texas.
-Blast
Posted by: Famdoc

Re: Boring gear - 10/02/20 12:39 AM

I use the SAK pliers (Craftsman model, unfortunately discontinued) perhaps monthly: sometimes for splinter extraction, sometimes to get a strong grip on something. The jaws are so well machined they can be used to pick up a human hair.
Hidden in the picture is the wire-cutters at the base of the jaws; visible below the pivot point are wire crimpers.

Re: Boring gear - 11/30/20 08:04 PM

Work gloves.
I'm adding them to more and more kits

Re: Boring gear - 11/30/20 10:57 PM

Gloves are indeed extremely useful! Obviously in the cold but certainly in any weather around camp for gathering & processing wood, tending the fire, moving hot pans off the fire, etc.
Posted by: Herman30

Re: Boring gear - 12/01/20 10:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Gloves are indeed extremely useful! Obviously in the cold but certainly in any weather around camp for gathering & processing wood, tending the fire, moving hot pans off the fire, etc.

Jep, working with bare hands might lead to small wounds that does not bother much but might get infected and that is no fun especially out in the bush.

Re: Boring gear - 03/03/21 08:34 PM

More extremely boring gear that I use frequently:
Water bottle (or 2)
Energy bars or snack food
Phone
cheap pen
Hand sanitizer in 2 oz pocket container (refill from larger one)
Mask
headphones
Spork