N95 Substitutes

Posted by: williamlatham

N95 Substitutes - 04/22/20 11:53 AM

I posted this in a reply in the urban section, but it probably belongs here. Everyone should read this link concerning the effectiveness of masks and respirators (all types).

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspect...ased-sound-data

This is not a you should or should not discussion for COVID-19. This is data on masks and mask substitutes and their efficiency in filtration.

One of the things we always talk about is having a bandanna for temporary respiratory protection in the event of an earthquake or other building collapse scenario. If asbestos is part of the equation (older buildings) it is notoriously hard to filter out of the air.

Regards,
Bill
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: N95 Substitutes - 04/22/20 01:34 PM

Good share, thank you!
Posted by: clearwater

Re: N95 Substitutes - 04/22/20 04:05 PM

They didn't mention wool masks.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/1197598...global-shortage
Posted by: clearwater

Re: N95 Substitutes - 04/22/20 11:56 PM

Or pantyhose
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsod...asks-study-find

"Even the surgical mask performed better with stockings in their study: Testing showed that it went from blocking out 75% of small particles to 90% with the addition of a pantyhose overlayer. An N95 respirator, by comparison, is designed to block out at least 95% of small particles when worn properly."
Posted by: Ren

Re: N95 Substitutes - 04/23/20 03:26 PM

Interesting, was wondering if buffs would be of use as already have a couple.

Seems might over a surgical mask.

https://www.buffusa.com/shop-buff/men/multifunctional-headwear-category.html
Posted by: Russ

Re: N95 Substitutes - 04/23/20 06:58 PM

When necessary I wear a neck gator and leave my masks (surgical or washable/reusable) at home. The neck gator (aka buff) fills the need of a face covering. Since it appears that 21% of NY'rs have tested positive for COVID-19 antibodies, this thing is apparently not as deadly as initially reported.
Posted by: brandtb

Re: N95 Substitutes - 04/26/20 04:31 PM

I've been using a section cut from an Oreck vacuum cleaner bag pinned inside a doubled-over shemagh scarf. At the top of the fold of the scarf there's a 4-inck piece of 10-gauge wire pinned in place to shape the scarf where it crosses my nose.
Posted by: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Re: N95 Substitutes - 05/02/20 08:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Russ
Since it appears that 21% of NY'rs have tested positive for COVID-19 antibodies, this thing is apparently not as deadly as initially reported.

Is that according to the "Tyler Durden" of the prestegious ZeroHedge?
Appears to be so ... uhoh smile

As of this hour
Total Confirmed 3,344,435
Total Deaths 238,788
238788/3344435 = 7.1398607 /100

1,103,781 US (65,068)
65068/1103781 = 5.89501 /100

In January the tip of the disease burden pyramid said ~2%
In April tip of US pyramid said ~4%

I'd leave the number interpretation to CDC/... not random "journalist"/blogger
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: N95 Substitutes - 05/02/20 08:37 AM

The odd thing is that in some states the death rate has been nearly 10%. It's hard to figure why it's so much deadlier in some places than others.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: N95 Substitutes - 05/02/20 11:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
The odd thing is that in some states the death rate has been nearly 10%. It's hard to figure why it's so much deadlier in some places than others.

Some coroners have stated that any decedent that tests positive for COVID-19 and did not die of trauma will be counted as a COVID-19 death.

Other places are doing a far better job of granular reporting. My friend the data scientist says that Georgia in particular is doing a very good job of that.

Re: N95 Substitutes - 05/02/20 09:08 PM

IIRC Georgia is a state where the Covid-19 death rate is hovering around 7%. It seems like a part of it that we still don't totally understand the disease. Some folks are developing life threatening blood clots and embolisms as a symptom of Covid-19. Also, early reports were that smokers were more vulnerable but later [at least anecdotal] evidence suggests that nicotine may suppress the disease. All in all this is a weird Coronavirus.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: N95 Substitutes - 05/02/20 09:44 PM

Atthis point in the game, I wouldn't put too much faith in any of the statistics, basically because of various criteria used to determine cause of death, variability in determining number of people afflicted.

Some day we will probably have better data, but right now, it is fair to say, covid-19 is pretty serious stuff.
Posted by: brandtb

Re: N95 Substitutes - 05/02/20 10:49 PM

I think there is a large pool of infected but unreported cases due to the number of people who got the virus but had no symptoms. This will take 12 - 18 months to sort out, and in the mean time the denominator is a false reading, leading to an inflated death rate.

Re: N95 Substitutes - 05/03/20 12:58 AM

Apropos of nothing I watched a science program last night that explained that wool fiber is somehow extremely "sticky" when used as a mask. The technical stuff kind of went over my head but the texture of the fibres seems to capture a vast amount of stuff. I didn't quite figure out if it's up to N95 level, better, or somewhat worse- but it did seem a lot better than the cheap cotton stuff us plebes are expected to use.
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: N95 Substitutes - 05/03/20 04:17 PM

IMHO, it would be a mistake to take stats being provided, especially by government. and those with vested interests, at face value.

There are all sorts of very strong financial and other incentives to increase the reported COVID-19 hospital admissions and deaths. Every indication is that they are overinflated, perhaps grossly so. Doctors I know and trust in NYC, for example, have told me that they have their marching orders.

Here's one example that just was published: https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/me...-deaths-n387013

Then you have the denominator issue. More and more data is coming out that is increasing the size of the denominator, suggesting a huge number of asymptomatic infections or milder cases that were previously not diagnosed.

Just stuff to keep in mind when reviewing reports.
Posted by: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Re: N95 Substitutes - 05/03/20 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
IMHO, it would be a mistake to take stats being provided, especially by government. and those with vested interests, at face value.

There are all sorts of very strong financial and other incentives to increase the reported COVID-19 hospital admissions and deaths. Every indication is that they are overinflated, perhaps grossly so. Doctors I know and trust in NYC, for example, have told me that they have their marching orders.

Here's one example that just was published: https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/me...-deaths-n387013

Aha, just like a horror movie , the funeral director knows the secret truth smile
Posted by: Famdoc

Re: N95 Substitutes - 05/04/20 02:10 AM

That some funeral directors are being giving credence as authorities as to whether COVID was the cause of death for a particular individual is interesting.
Funeral directors do not have access to the medical record, do not generally talk to the physician or other person certifying the cause of death, and have no training in establishing nor authority to certify the cause of death in the bodies for which they assume care.

Re: N95 Substitutes - 05/04/20 02:16 AM

If you can find them (there are currently some on Ebay) the reusable elastomeric respirator, made by 3M or Honeywell/North with the two side filters work very well, with the appropriate filters in place. These are much more expensive on a per item basis, but last years.
I've seen one news item that the Univ. of Maryland Medical Center has been utilizing these instead of the surgical and N95 fabric masks
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: N95 Substitutes - 05/04/20 04:21 PM

Interesting bit on WHY we're wearing masks. Apparently, controlling exhaled contagions is easier then inhaled ones.

IRT the n95 substitutes, I'm using pm 2.5 pollution masks with replaceable filters. My reasoning, which may be faulty, is the masks are designed to filter out 2.5 micron particles, so they should be effective against the larger 5-10 micron droplets transmitting COVID 19. Also, they're more comfortable than the fold flat filters I stocked in the emergency kit.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi...PT659hn2Nbw0dcU
Posted by: GoatMan

Re: N95 Substitutes - 07/06/20 10:50 PM

Anyone using a purchased cloth face covering that accepts the PM 2.5 filters that they like and are still available somewhere? Decent quality that is washable is preferred. Has the pocket inside for the 2.5 inserts.

Would like this option for typical grocery shopping over the surgical masks I'm currently using. A good step between a surgical mask and an N95. The PM 95 seem to stink to too many people and aren't much better than the PM 2.5.
Posted by: Janysboy

Re: N95 Substitutes - 07/07/20 10:14 AM

You can get Cambridge N99 masks on Amazon for about 20 to 30 dollars. I purchased one and carry it in my waistpack. When I inhale, I can feel the mask press against my face. When I exhale, the air doesn't just leave through the valve. Biggest problem I've noticed is I have to speak louder than normal, it muffles my breath.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: N95 Substitutes - 07/07/20 06:44 PM

I moved back to my work office from my home office yesterday. We now have 30-40% of the 700+ staff back in a phased approach to reopen. Waiting for me on my desk was a Welcome Back safety kit and a few extras.
1. Box of Kleenex
2. Monitor screen wipes
3. Disinfecting wipes
4. Hand sanitizer (Locally made)
5. Surface cleaner
6. 3 N95 masks (not the respirator style and Canadian made not Chinese!)
7. 3 re-usable cloth masks
8. Knickknacks for the desk
9. Welcome back snack & coffee from our VP.

I appreciated it all but considering I have a full beard, the masks are going to provide limited protection. It's more of a social consideration than medical necessity since my city hasn't had a Covid-19 case in over a month.

The building has various social distancing restrictions, like "walk this way" floor signage, restrictions on # of people in elevators and meeting rooms, and sanitizing stations everywhere. We filled out Hazard & Risk forms and had to watch videos on updated protocols, etc. No shaking hands, maintain 2 metre distance, cough into your sleeve, sanitize everything. Welcome back to our "new normal"!

Re: N95 Substitutes - 07/08/20 01:50 AM

The steadily widening recommendations for everyone to wear a mask is less to protect me from you, but to protect you from me.

The current estimate is that perhaps up to 40% of all new infections were transmitted from an infected person who was not having any symptoms, just simply breathing out the virus, in either respiratory droplets (currently thought to be most common means of transmitting or acquiring the infection), or the far smaller aerosolized viral particles, which can stay in the air for some dozens of feet (thought to be a less common means of transmission, although this is being challenged this week).

The PM 2.5 masks I've seen have expiratory valves, as do many of the N95, N99, N100 masks. If the wearer of a mask with an expiratory valve is asymptomatic or presymptomatic, yet infected, then every breath out through the valve is shedding virus. Wearing this type of mask, with an expiratory valve, puts others at risk.
Posted by: KenK

Re: N95 Substitutes - 07/08/20 05:13 PM

I couldn't find "Cambridge N99" masks on Amazon.com.

Do note: If the mask has ear loops it is almost certainly not an N95 or better mask. It likely won't protect the wearer, but is fine for protecting others - so long as it doesn't have expiratory valves.

And huge thanks to Famdoc for pointing out the danger of expiratory (exhalation) valves. They should be taken off the market until the pandemic is history.
Posted by: GoatMan

Re: N95 Substitutes - 07/09/20 02:53 PM

The "Cambridge" masks have a store front on Amazon but are backordered into August and not listing anything. I doubt their claim as well.

Amazon has gone way downhill in quality of their sellers/providers over the years. Especialy the last year or two. It isn't much better than eBay in the Trust category. You have to read a lot of reviews and get past the paid for ones.

All of the mask tips shared in this thread I already knew, but is it a good review for anyone who hasn't done their homework.

Still looking for a good source.

Stay healthy. smile

Re: N95 Substitutes - 07/09/20 07:08 PM

My Prime membership is expiring at the end of this month and I am considering canceling it.