Carrying more gear nowadays?

Posted by: teacher

Carrying more gear nowadays? - 03/20/20 06:33 PM

Anyone else find themselves sporting rather more gear than usual?
Posted by: pforeman

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 03/20/20 06:41 PM

Interesting question... While we're doing the "shelter in place" thing for the most part and have been doing that all this week I had a discussion with the Mrs. this morning and think we will now carry some 'extra' gloves.

Our only planned outing will be a trip to the grocery store and then we will likely wear some nitrile gloves from the first aid supplies. Not going to a mask (yet) but the actual count here for infections is low. That is about all the change I'm making and still pack around my usual EDC.

Paul -
Posted by: haertig

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 03/21/20 01:52 AM

With the police in many cities saying they will no longer respond to less serious crimes, other police departments saying they won't arrest criminals but instead issue warrants to appear, and with some cities planning on letting prisoners out of jail ... I am much more prepped for self-defense these days. Letting criminals walk freely among the honest citizens, and with more potential criminals possible due to no work/no money from business shutdowns, it would be totally irresponsible to not consider your safety as you go about your daily business. Whether you choose a higher power/capacity firearm for carry, some other defensive tool, or to just hide at home is up to each individual. But please do consider your personal safety and make some kind of plan. You will be on your own much more now than ever before.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 03/21/20 02:07 AM

I'm carrying the same I usually carry.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 03/21/20 05:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I'm carrying the same I usually carry.

I am too. But I've added a bigger sibling to it. My pants are about to fall off now. I need suspenders.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 03/21/20 07:20 AM

Let me also clarify that my employer has us all working from home. So I'm only out of the house for an hour every few days (yeah, going stir crazy!). So now that my home is also where I work, my main defensive are is an Aimpoint-equipped CZ Bren 801 loaded with 30 rounds of Black Hills 70gr GMX. smirk

If that's not enough I'll probably need close air support! grin
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 03/21/20 01:32 PM

haertig... I use the Perry suspenders that have the plastic J hooks that hook under your belt... I use an Uncle Mikes LEO velcro under belt to carry my G43 and mag/Thrunight...they are made under license by Dickie also... I use a lightweight nylon cover up shirt
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 03/21/20 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: teacher
Anyone else find themselves sporting rather more gear than usual?

We’re close enough to some areas where police service has become nonexistent that I view our security situation as potentially challenging. I’ve switched to carrying a larger pistol that the subcompact I usually carry, and more ammo.

Nothing would please me more than to find out that the hysteria around where I live doesn’t get any worse.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 03/22/20 06:37 PM

Over the years I have been carrying smaller and lighter things. With regard to corona, nothing has really changed. Soap and a tap where is where I need it. I do minimize going out the door, except for a solo bike ride or run.

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 03/23/20 01:01 AM

on the light side... I am still trying to support the restaurants that I frequently visit, through their take out service.... currently the state allows you to consume food in/on your vehicle on premise, so I purchase my take out and lower the tail gate of the Tacoma and eat in the parking lot... I've added a shaker of salt to my car supplies along with a bottle of rubbing alcohol
Posted by: Russ

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 03/23/20 01:33 AM

Not so much carrying more gear for COVID-19 but I am wearing nitrile gloves when out and about (shopping and such). We’re supposedly in lock-down, but my work falls under one of the many exemptions, as does grocery shopping and picking up your take-out. So I wear nitrile gloves when I buy gas, food or browse the available products at Home Depot. Face masks are available, but not going that far yet.
Posted by: fooman

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 03/23/20 02:29 AM

Greetings from Malaysia where we've been on Movement control order since the 18th. Most businesses are shut except essential services and retail and f&B close by 5pm.

I'm still carrying pretty much the same, as I do need to go to work on alternate days, but I make sure there is food, water, wipes, gloves and masks in the truck.

I made sure to charge all my power banks and devices.

After the initial reaction where people were leaving town and still gathering at shops, bus and train terminals, the majority of people seemed to have to settled down to shelter in.

Take care everyone.
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 03/23/20 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
on the light side... I am still trying to support the restaurants that I frequently visit, through their take out service.... currently the state allows you to consume food in/on your vehicle on premise, so I purchase my take out and lower the tail gate of the Tacoma and eat in the parking lot... I've added a shaker of salt to my car supplies along with a bottle of rubbing alcohol

Mae sure the alcohol and salt are in easily distinguishable containers, and check the labels 3 times, before you pick it up, as you are pouring, and after you put it down.

And please add a checkered table cloth for the tailgate, and a bud vase with a single rose: you are a senior member of the forum and we expect a certain level of decorum, dammit.

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 03/24/20 02:51 AM

nursemike... will do... the salt shaker is a repurposed small pill bottle I drilled a hole in... that way the restaurant I frequent most doesn't have to sanitize the inside salt shaker.... the salt/pepper chili flake and garlic powder are not on the table and are cleaned after each use... likewise they have a couple of metal outside tables, and they ask you to let them know when you leave so they can clean them... the tailgate is a courtesy to them... regards
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 03/24/20 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By: nursemike
And please add a checkered table cloth for the tailgate, and a bud vase with a single rose: you are a senior member of the forum and we expect a certain level of decorum, dammit.

LOL! Love it! laugh laugh laugh
Posted by: teacher

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 08/10/21 07:49 PM

We're back to making most places now, so I opened up a new pack of KN95's.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 08/11/21 01:28 AM

I haven't stopped wearing a mask. It's great not having to smile at your boss' stupid joke.
Posted by: lupacexi

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 08/13/21 08:21 AM

tkss
Posted by: KenK

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 08/13/21 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: haertig
I need suspenders.

The best suspenders:

http://holdup.com
Posted by: Herman30

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 08/13/21 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: KenK
I need suspenders.

The best suspenders:

If you ask me, these are even better; Perry suspenders.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/716BgiR93RL._SS400_.jpg
Posted by: Tony_D

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 08/14/21 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Herman30
Originally Posted By: KenK
I need suspenders.

The best suspenders:

If you ask me, these are even better; Perry suspenders.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/716BgiR93RL._SS400_.jpg

"How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants."
Posted by: Herman30

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 08/14/21 07:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Tony_D

"How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants."

Two is one, one is none.
If you are round enough at the waist, then the belt alone won´t stop pants from sliding down.
Posted by: Tony_D

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 08/14/21 02:28 PM

It's a movie line... pretty good show, too.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7w88tt
Posted by: Blast

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 08/17/21 08:31 PM

Just a New York reload.
-Blast
Posted by: Acropolis50

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 08/18/21 05:18 AM

Blast: I’ll bet that you and I are the only two people on this forum, who know, without looking it up,( don’t cheat guys) what a “ New York Reload” is.” I was raised in and around. Where do you come by the knowledge?
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 08/18/21 10:24 AM

Watching Paul Harrell and participating in CAS gave me the knowledge.
In CAS I do not do New York reloads, I use one in each hand.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 08/18/21 12:27 PM

Living on the left coast, i haven't the faintest idea....
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 08/18/21 12:43 PM

Grew up in NYC, and I own a side business as a firearms instructor. So yes, I do know that one.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 08/18/21 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Acropolis50
Blast: I’ll bet that you and I are the only two people on this forum, who know, without looking it up,( don’t cheat guys) what a “ New York Reload” is.” I was raised in and around. Where do you come by the knowledge?

I spent seven years in Albany, New York when mayor Giuliani was shipping the NYC criminals there.
-Blast
Posted by: pforeman

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 08/18/21 03:40 PM

When I first started working as a small town cop, early '70s - we had a guy on the force from New York who had family 'back home' that were 'on the job' and that is where I learned about a New York reload and it was something all of us in a small mid-western town actually did (carried the second gun).

That makes at least three of us!
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 08/18/21 04:23 PM

I've heard of it before, though "the internet" says its a speed advantage, I always heard it as a workaround to laws limiting round count in a magazine.

Quote:
How many rounds are legal in NY?
seven rounds
New York limits any person to putting seven rounds of ammunition into a magazine, unless the person is at an incorporated firing range or competition recognized by the National Rifle Association or International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association, in which case the limit is ten rounds.Apr 2, 2021

You can't carry an 8 round revolver or a magazine fed pistol that can hold 8 or more rounds in the magazine. So you carry two 6 round revolvers and the second one is your "new york reload"
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 08/18/21 05:20 PM

Interesting! Thanks for the info. As a revolver guy, I am quite happy with a stocked speed loader s my "California reload." i doubt there is much difference, speedwise....

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 08/18/21 06:14 PM

OK, I lost my bet, at least in part. But, the term “New York Reload” long predates any laws concerning limits on firearms magazine capacity. The first time I remember hearing the term was in the 1950s and I think the term goes back even further.

In the 60s, I learned that NYPD officers were among the ( then) few police who routinely carried a second handgun, usually a 5-6 shot S&W or Colt snubbie revolver, in an offhand ankle or pocket holster. The first time I saw it in print was in a book or article by or about Jim Cirillo’s famed “Stakeout Squad”. Still later , after the famed “Onion Field “ incident, in L.A. I think, some officers also started carrying a ultra small Browning .25 automatic or similar weapon, in a closed flap handcuff case, worn at the center rear of the duty belt, along with a cuff key, taped inside the back of the duty belt.

One of the NYPD Detectives which whom I attended law school, told me that when he was in uniform, stationed on a subway platform beat in the Bronx, he carried three guns. His S&W Model 10 , 4” in barrel, issued 6 shot revolver; a S& W air weight revolver, 5 shot, in an ankle holster and a ( completely Department Unapproved) .25 auto in the described handcuff case and the cuff key, as described. This was in the bad old days of NYC crime rates, in the late 1960s - 1970s.

Today, one of my young cousins is a NYPD Officer. He is only on the job a few years and he drew a subway platform assignment in Brooklyn, at least until he recently got promoted to a good plain clothes assignment. He said he and most of his colleagues, carry their approved Glock 19s in their belt holsters and a Glock 26 for offhand use, in an ankle holster. The G26 is also his approved off-duty carry weapon. He says the Department won’t approve revolvers for any new officers , for off duty use.

Posted by: RayW

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 08/18/21 10:25 PM

Hadn't heard using two guns called a New York reload before. Of course if you are from Texas,this is how it's done. Six shot reload and six more in 2.99 seconds. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHG-ibZaKM
Posted by: nursetim

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 08/22/21 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Acropolis50

No, I knew it for decades. Law enforcement is where I picked it up.

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 08/22/21 06:59 PM

Nursertim: Look at my last post. I’ve already conceded that I was wrong, at least in part. Good fun for a brain teaser, in any event.
Posted by: Plainsman

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 08/28/21 09:27 PM

Ive heard of the “New York reload” all the way back in the ‘70s as a kid. I wouldnt mind an ankle carry holster for my Micro9 and Ive been looking for an SP101 for a similar use.

As to the original question and extra gear, yes, since Covid-chaos struck, I tend to carry more “firepower.”
Posted by: amper

Re: Carrying more gear nowadays? - 09/13/21 05:56 PM

No. Why would I? Other than a mask, gloves, and some hand sanitiser, why would I need more gear than usual, these days? I barely even leave the house. I rarely go to my office, and pretty much only go out to go food shopping, and once a month to deposit my paycheck and drop off my rent check.