Posted by: clearwater

Rain Barrel? - 03/18/20 05:10 PM

Anyone with experience?
Things to consider?
Links on use or where to purchase?
Threads on Equipped?
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Rain Barrel? - 03/18/20 06:15 PM

I like the kind with a screen on it to keep leaves and stuff out. I have it connected to a downspout from my rain gutters.

Where I live, I have concerns about bird poop and other contaminants, so we use our rain barrel just for watering plants.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Rain Barrel? - 03/18/20 07:45 PM

Make sure you have some kind of overflow system installed. You'd think one of those 55 gallon barrels would take a while to fill. Ha! You have a heavy rainstorm, and it will fill almost instantly. And a little garden hose will not handle the volume of overflow either. I would say something the size of 1" PVC at minimum is needed. You can buy overflow systems, or devise our own. Just don't neglect to install something.

You don't want the overflow bubbling out the top and running down near your house foundation, or onto your deck, or wherever you put the barrel. Ask me how I know this!
Posted by: KenK

Re: Rain Barrel? - 03/18/20 08:43 PM

They can also be a breeding pond for mosquitoes. They should be sealed/screened accordingly.
Posted by: teacher

Re: Rain Barrel? - 03/18/20 08:53 PM

Make sure to get food grade is you are buying used - We've had some luck of local sites Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, neighborhood groups.
Put a screen on the top to prevent mosquitos
Posted by: RayW

Re: Rain Barrel? - 03/18/20 09:21 PM

Also check your local laws, in some places it is illegal or at least taxed. In the US I think this only applies in the mid west.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Rain Barrel? - 03/19/20 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: RayW
Also check your local laws, in some places it is illegal or at least taxed. In the US I think this only applies in the mid west.

I am in WA state. It used to be against the law, but they discovered it helps prevent overflow of the sewer systems and helps in drought and now promote using barrels.

I haven't seen any 5 star brands in the ones at the local stores. They all seem to have drawbacks, split when it freezes, flexes when full, spigots fail quickly, made of recycled plastics so you don't know what chemicals are in the construction etc.

Want it for use on a garden.