Rusty G2

Posted by: Ors

Rusty G2 - 03/02/20 03:35 PM

After about a year of carrying my RSK G2, several of the components are showing corrosion.

The screw that secures the blade, the ABLE lock release, the supports separating the handles, the blade itself...

Anyone have similar experience?

Hogue quickly sent me a replacement screw for the one securing the blade, but now months later, I’m noticing the other corrosion.

Bad batch of stainless?
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Rusty G2 - 03/02/20 03:44 PM

I carry mine constantly and have had no corrosion issues. I do periodically clean it and relubricate it with Tuf-Glide and a Tuf-Cloth.
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Rusty G2 - 03/02/20 08:32 PM

Well, that's an odd one. While the blade is high carbon stainless, it can get rust spots, although that usually isn't a big issue. That's the trade off for the edge holding you get with the higher carbon content. As for the rest, I don't recall that we've ever had such an issue.

Both personal body chemistry and where and under what conditions a knife is used can make stainless more susceptible to corrosion and no stainless steel is 100% corrosion proof.

We'd like to examine the knife. Please contact Ashley at Knifeworks 888-225-9775 so we can arrange for an exchange for a new knife. She's usually only in mornings.

Thanks,
Posted by: KenK

Re: Rusty G2 - 03/02/20 11:23 PM

Noticing that the OP is in Florida ... I've heard rumors of there being some kind of "salt air" in Florida. Is that real? Or mostly folklore? This midwest guy has zero first hand knowledge.
Posted by: DaveL

Re: Rusty G2 - 03/05/20 11:11 PM

Now that is fantastic customer service
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Rusty G2 - 03/05/20 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: KenK
Noticing that the OP is in Florida ... I've heard rumors of there being some kind of "salt air" in Florida. Is that real? Or mostly folklore? This midwest guy has zero first hand knowledge.

Yes, it is real. Here's a map that deals with aircraft corrosion issues (aluminum being particularly susceptible:

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1LLBsQx-5xE/X...s/s1600/8-3.png

A more general map: https://pomametals.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/salt-air-inland-coastal-map.jpg
Posted by: KenK

Re: Rusty G2 - 03/06/20 01:02 AM

Wow! Very interesting. I had no idea that the Great Lake impacted corrosion.

I recently saw a TV program that talked about the "alkaline" dust & corrosion effects of lakes in the SW U.S. due to water being siphoned to populated areas. I'd not heard about that before either.

Thanks Doug!!
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Rusty G2 - 03/06/20 12:12 PM

I live on the central west coast of Florida... my daily carried Benchmade Aries axis lock has a 154cm blade, and gets occasional spots (no pitting) around the thumb stud and near the hinge that easily come off with a little rubbing... for firearms and the like, I've found that Birchwood Casey Barricade (formerly named Sheath) works well to prevent problems...
Posted by: brandtb

Re: Rusty G2 - 03/06/20 02:31 PM

I wish I got this kind of customer service from Verizon Fios.