Article on Getting Lost in the Wilderness

Posted by: Michael2

Article on Getting Lost in the Wilderness - 12/16/19 01:01 AM

In todays' Washington Post:

Lost in the wilderness: Tech tools help but they don’t always find someone in time
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Article on Getting Lost in the Wilderness - 12/16/19 04:00 AM

The article states some very good principles, which are not always followed by those in the wild.

Here is SoCal, there has been a search for a missing hiker on Mt. Baldy. He has been missing for a week, and the search has been suspended due to the death of one of the searchers. This doesn't happenery often, but there is always a element of risk in SAR.
Posted by: teacher

Re: Article on Getting Lost in the Wilderness - 12/16/19 11:12 PM

I rely on hi-, lo- and no- tech.
In combination.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Article on Getting Lost in the Wilderness - 12/17/19 03:47 AM

Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I'm going to try to find a library copy of the behavior-of-lost-people book mentioned.

I make a point of of having "mental map" of the general area. The author notes this as "handrails." If I know the hard features (a long road here, a river there) and their general orientation, I may get thoroughly turned around (it happens easily enough) but not truly lost. I think it's a really important tool in keeping a level head.

Also, pre-trip testing of the compass in your pocket so you *know for certain* it's actually working helps you talk yourself through the problem when you're turned around. Believe me, occasionally you'll bet anything that the compass is wrong.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Article on Getting Lost in the Wilderness - 12/17/19 04:27 PM

On the topic of searchers walking (or flying) right by the object of their search — signaling equipment in the form of mirrors, bright clothing, ribbons, strobe lights, whistles, et al are not that expensive and most are small enough and light enough that not carrying a couple forms is hard to justify. After navigation (staying found), next on my list would be signaling gear.