Multitool components

Posted by: dchinell

Multitool components - 04/09/03 04:17 PM

There just doesn't seem to be a plier-based multitool that has the combination of components I want. Here's a list of components on my various Leatherman tools:

-awl
-blade, plain
-blade, serrated
-can/bottle opener
-clip, lanyard
-clip, pocket
-file
-pliers, needle-nose
-saw
-scissors
-screwdriver, Phillips
-screwdriver, slotted, eyeglass
-screwdriver, slotted, large
-screwdriver, slotted, medium
-screwdriver, slotted, small

Of all these things, here's what I really like for a survival multitool:

-awl: to make holes in stuff
-blade, plain: as a backup blade
-can/bottle opener: I like the Leatherman combination
-clip, pocket: as on the SideClip, for carry more than retention
-pliers, needle-nose: that's why a multitool, rather than an SAK
-saw: for trap notches

That's it. A pair of pliers with a saw and an awl, plus a blade and can/bottle opener would be just fine. Extra file? Okay. Extra screwdrivers? Okay.

Bear
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Multitool components - 04/09/03 04:40 PM

get the wave and sharpen the smallest slotted scredriver to a point for use as an awl and you will have what you are looking for.

Re: Multitool components - 04/09/03 06:03 PM

Yes, of course that would be a solution. And I do have and often carry a Wave in my pocket. But it's danged big and heavy, and has lots of stuff I don't want or need.

I prefer the original PST. It's only missing the saw. Sometimes I carry an SAK with a saw and awl, and supplement this with a SideClip.

As you can see, there are lots of workarounds, but no golden, shining, exact solution.

But thanks for your suggestion.

Bear
Posted by: Polak187

Re: Multitool components - 04/09/03 06:09 PM

How about puting together a custom tool from Gerber?

Matt

Re: Multitool components - 04/09/03 07:10 PM

I'd willingly bet that you SAK +sideclip combination is heavier and bulkier than a wave - and hey, if you grind down the small screwdriver you will lighten up the wave a little (a very little)

Re: Multitool components - 04/21/03 06:23 PM

Drat! I'm so gadget-wealthy that I can't even remember the stuff I've got. Browsing through my EDC options drawer the other day I came across my Juice KF4, which does, in fact, have most of the goodies I was just whining about.

- knife, plain edge
- knife, serrated edge
- file
- awl
- saw
- pliers
- slotted screwdrivers, s,m,l
- phillips screwdriver
- lanyard loop

Bear
Posted by: cliff

Re: Multitool components - 04/22/03 09:01 PM

I carry a Squirt S4 on my keychain - it has all of the day-to-day tools I need for office/home survival - and a Juice KF4 in my Daytimer (along with a small "urbanized" PSK) for more, um... robust needs.

This combo covers all of the tools I require with no overlap, and allows me to taylor what I carry to the situation. No sense cluttering up one's pockets.

.....CLIFF

Re: Multitool components - 05/03/03 01:27 PM

That's why I like the SOG Power Pliers. The tools are removeable so I can customize it the way I like. I removed the saw blade (stored it along with the optional wrenches in the carry pouch) and added the optional seatbelt/line cutter and rounded off the hook end a bit with a Dremel grinder so I can use it as gut hook.

Re: Multitool components - 05/05/03 09:14 PM

Walker: Thanks for pointing out the "customizable" aspect of the SOG tools. I've got one on order now, and am looking forward to seeing how it works for me. -- Bear