Search for missing firefighters suspended

Posted by: Phaedrus

Search for missing firefighters suspended - 08/23/19 02:48 AM

A very sad case; it looks like the search for the two missing firefighters lost at sea a few days ago has been suspended. A couple days ago a tackle box was found but with no better idea where to search as the days drag on the odds of recover are poor. Some Coast Guard assets will still be in the area but the formal search is being suspended.

I have to wonder if a PLB might have saved them? Hard to say what happened to them but a beacon would at least give searchers an idea where to begin.
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Search for missing firefighters suspended - 08/23/19 03:40 AM

Survival at Sea
#1 Floatation (Life Vest - PFD)
#2 PLB or SEND

1+2=Survival
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Search for missing firefighters suspended - 08/23/19 04:55 AM

As is the norm, the media doesn't have very complete information. Being firefighters one might ass/u/me they would be well versed in safety equipment. I have no idea what they had along, probably we will never find out. While the search has been suspended I do hope against hope that they're found alive and well.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Search for missing firefighters suspended - 08/23/19 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Survival at Sea
#1 Floatation (Life Vest - PFD)
#2 PLB or SEND

1+2=Survival

Exactly. My aviation survival (PFD) vest has a dedicated pouch for the PLB. It was also equipped with a Marine VHF radio, laser flare, strobe light, signal mirror and a whistle.

30 miles off shore in the relatively warm gulf stream is still 30 miles off shore.

I got the idea to include a Marine VHF radio after reading a post here about a guy fishing in the gulf one minute and then suddenly in the water surrounded by stuff that had been in his boat. Fortunately his VHF radio was part of the stuff in the water and he was able to contact another fishing boat on Ch.16. IIRC he used a cooler for flotation.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Search for missing firefighters suspended - 08/23/19 07:10 PM

I am strongly in favor of the Marine VHF radio to go with the PLB. Among other things, being able to contact your rescuers when they’re close might make things a lot better and safer for both you and them. The strobe and signal mirror also make a lot of sense, and a whistle is too easy to carry to not always have one.

Do I remember correctly that laser flares are recommended against by the Coast Guard?
Posted by: Russ

Re: Search for missing firefighters suspended - 08/23/19 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
... Do I remember correctly that laser flares are recommended against by the Coast Guard?
First I’ve heard, though I can understand the green lasers being a big negative. Green lasers and aircraft at night is a bad mix. Mine’s red.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Search for missing firefighters suspended - 08/23/19 08:43 PM

I thought I'd read something to that effect here, but I didn't find it. What I've found so far elsewhere is inconclusive.