Pure Luck!

Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Pure Luck! - 07/30/19 05:27 PM

https://www.eastoregonian.com/news/state...a2c291d735.html
Posted by: Russ

Re: Pure Luck! - 07/30/19 06:15 PM

Thanks for posting the article, great story. Was that a PLB or one of the satellite messenger units — Spot, InReach? Regardless, great save.

Re: Pure Luck! - 07/30/19 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
Was that a PLB or one of the satellite messenger units — Spot, InReach? Regardless, great save.

Based on the comment about tracking, assume it was a SEND, not a PLB
Posted by: Herman30

Re: Pure Luck! - 07/30/19 07:34 PM

I´m not allowed to read the article.
Was it about this elderly gentleman who got stuck with his car and was found halfdead by a mountainbiker by accident? Read about this in our local news.

What is this "SEND" Doug mentions? I know what PLB is.

Re: Pure Luck! - 07/30/19 07:39 PM

Yes and Satellite Emergency Notification Device - like a SPOT or inReach
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Pure Luck! - 07/30/19 08:21 PM

The guy definitely lucked out!
Posted by: Ren

Re: Pure Luck! - 07/31/19 12:34 AM

Archive link for anyone else in the EU
http://archive.fo/SwcTn
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Pure Luck! - 08/01/19 01:54 AM

Smart bicyclist.

Re: Pure Luck! - 08/01/19 04:32 AM

Very smart! If I ever do something super stupid I hope someone really smart finds me before I croak! grin

Re: Pure Luck! - 08/06/19 02:36 AM

Photos: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man...hfully-n1035191
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Pure Luck! - 08/06/19 01:28 PM

It would have been dreadfully simple to equip the jeep with adequate, nay luxurious, survival gear as well as items suitable for extrication.

One of the photos shows a very fine, lightweight tent. Was that part of the gear carried by the cyclist? Something like that is often useful in a variety of situations....

Re: Pure Luck! - 08/06/19 02:32 PM

Agree, lots of room for a GHB, water, food (for the dogs) and a PLB.

So is there a 4WD club going to help retrieve that stranded Cherokee or are they just going to leave it?

Re: Pure Luck! - 08/06/19 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
One of the photos shows a very fine, lightweight tent. Was that part of the gear carried by the cyclist? Something like that is often useful in a variety of situations....

Yes, that was the cyclist's.

Re: Pure Luck! - 08/07/19 01:57 AM

How odd! We have a motorist, evidently with zilch in the way of emergency equipment, aided by a touring cyclist, probably carrying around fifty or so pounds of gear, food, and water which just happened to be the right stuff.

Re: Pure Luck! - 08/07/19 06:36 AM

A well equipped cyclist! Luckily he was equipped to survive! cool

Re: Pure Luck! - 08/07/19 05:35 PM

Most backpackers and touring cyclists will be equipped to survive, since typically one is out for two or more nights, essentially self-sufficient.

This cyclist was well equipped and able to render meaningful aid. He was able to summon other resources to complete the rescue. He gets an A+.

Probably most car operators do not bother their pretty little heads with stuff like the ten essentials, although it really makes sense when you are off of the pavement. In any vehicle, I like to be sure there is a shovel available, along with elementary hand tools - crescent wrenches and the like come in surprisingly handy. Water and snacks are often welcome.

Re: Pure Luck! - 08/07/19 06:15 PM

Who used the phrase “water is life” in that other thread ?? wink

Carrying 5-10 gallons of water would be prudent if off-roading in the outback.

Re: Pure Luck! - 08/08/19 02:04 AM

Right now in the trunk of my vehicle there is a three liter jug plus a couple of quart canteens and a few other miscellaneous H2O containers. Most of my driving is less than thirty-five miles at a time, but I am not going to be thirsty.