Do you EDC an extra cell phone battery?

Posted by: teacher

Do you EDC an extra cell phone battery? - 06/28/19 08:55 PM

I sometimes carry a small (or a large) external battery.
They are small and inexpensive.
Posted by: Herman30

Re: Do you EDC an extra cell phone battery? - 06/28/19 09:10 PM

Can´t say I edc but when away from home longer than a trip to town I take with me a power bank for my cellphone..
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Do you EDC an extra cell phone battery? - 06/29/19 01:59 AM

I always carry one when traveling.
Posted by: Nomad

Re: Do you EDC an extra cell phone battery? - 06/29/19 04:02 PM

I have 3 batteries for my cell phone. One in phone and two in pocket. I rotate them whenever convenient.

Replacing discharged battery with spare takes about 2 minutes and I am back running with a full charge (and yet another spare in my pocket).

I would not have a cell phone (or almost any other device) that does not have easily replaceable batteries.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Do you EDC an extra cell phone battery? - 06/29/19 04:55 PM

I almost always have a power bank handy. I've learned to carry two, due to one of the folks at work seemingly always needing to borrow one when we're together.
Posted by: CJK

Re: Do you EDC an extra cell phone battery? - 06/29/19 10:44 PM

Try to have an external supply. Big thing I also try to do...power saver mode. Keeps the charge up much longer.
Posted by: Ren

Re: Do you EDC an extra cell phone battery? - 06/30/19 02:19 PM

An Xtar PB2... powerbank with 2 replaceable 18650s.
Can swap batteries about with other 18650 gear (flashlight).
Also can charge 18650s with a USB power source.
If need more capacity, just carry more 18650s.

Newer version has been announced, the PB2S. Will be able use 21700 batteries aswell as 18650s, and has a USB-C input as opposed to micro USB of the PB2.
Posted by: Burncycle

Re: Do you EDC an extra cell phone battery? - 07/04/19 04:10 AM

I used to back when I had my S5 and you could buy replacement batteries.

MUCH better than an external battery bank -- a few seconds and you're back up to 100%, no having to plug in and wait. Charge up the drained battery later that night.

Now manufacturers prefer built in batteries for simplicity of design and planned obsolescence, there's no downside.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Do you EDC an extra cell phone battery? - 07/04/19 04:34 AM

Yeah, I really miss the days of replaceable batteries. With the S5 you could not only have a spare, you could upgrade to a larger battery.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Do you EDC an extra cell phone battery? - 07/04/19 04:46 AM

The Kyocera DuraXV LTE battery is easily swapped out for one that’s fully charged. 4G LTE but not that smart wink
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Do you EDC an extra cell phone battery? - 07/04/19 06:27 AM

I have an IPhone 8’s. I I purchased and carry it a 150% Mophie auxiliary battery case.makes it bigger and heavier and u have to buy the expensive, so-so Mopie belt clip if waist carry is chosen. But, along with a ZAGG glass screen appliqué, It resists wasist high falls without damage.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Do you EDC an extra cell phone battery? - 07/04/19 05:06 PM

I have a variety of power banks on hand. I can charge up either my cell or my headlight, whichever is more critical. I keep solar panels handy for grid down situations.