The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP?

Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/11/19 05:46 PM

I'll let you be the judge. First, I must give you my disclaimer. I have no affiliation with Uncharted Supply Co.

Let me begin with what I love about Doug Ritter's PSP. Doug spent, what, a year, maybe more, to engineer the PSP from the ground up to maximize space and weight. It is a product that can save a life, made with quality components. And he made it affordable so that every person in a family can have one on his person.

Why is the last reason so important? People get separated. It is a reality that sometimes has tragic results. It is necessary for every person in a family to have a PSP on his or her person in the event people get separated. Again, to do that, it has to be compact, light-weight and priced so that every person in the family can have one.

Until a few days ago, I have not found anything off-the-shelf that includes every attribute I listed. The Seventy2 Survival System has all that: It is engineered to maximize space and weight by going with multi-purpose items and outside the box thinking. While not top quality (that would take it beyond the price point needed) it has the quality needed to see a person through an emergency. It is designed to save a life. And they priced it so that every person in a family can have one.

This backpack is 18" x 12" x 6" and weighs 11.5 lb.

At $349.99 it is not cheap; I think it represents a good value, a good bang for the buck.

Without attempting to explain why I believe it is worth the price they are asking, I'll let them do it with a link to their product and a 20 Minute, 32 Second video:

https://unchartedsupplyco.com/collections/all/products/the-seventy2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wKQNQ7MmmY

The above links may not provide all the information you want or need; I hope I provided enough to pique your interest to do further research.

Just as it is with Doug's PSP, the Seventy2 Survival System lists recommended items to add which they don't add for shipping reasons such as water (why pay to ship water when a person can fill the included water battle at the sink) and a lighter.

The PSP offers something that the Seventy2 Survival System does not, unfortunately. If you use a PSP in a survival situation, you get a replacement unit for free. That is not so with the Seventy2 Survival System. C'est la vie.

For those who say, "I can build a better system with higher quality components," stay tuned because I have great news for you! They also sell the shell and insert so you can customize your system.

https://unchartedsupplyco.com/collections/all/products/waterproof-backpack
https://unchartedsupplyco.com/collections/all/products/the-seventy2-insert-only

If you want to save $25, you can buy the shell and insert together.

https://unchartedsupplyco.com/collections/all/products/the-seventy2-shell-and-insert-only

Sold separately; another product I like is their logo t-shirt which includes instructions on how to use a t-shirt in a survival situation. I love that multi-purpose thinking.

https://unchartedsupplyco.com/collections/all/products/t-shirt

Finally, if anyone knows of a survival kit that has all the features I listed (designed to make the best use of space and weight so that it would not be a burden, can save a life and is priced so that every family member can have one in case people are separated), let me know. That is the type of gear I want to research.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/11/19 07:30 PM

I think there are a few deficiencies in this kit. It looks like the organization features add more bulk than I'd prefer. It should really have a whistle and a signal mirror. The firestarting tools should include tinder and a one-handed option. The shovel and multitool look pretty light-duty to me.

It looks like one could build a kit like this in a much less expensive bag and end up with higher quality components in some areas for the same price.

Speaking for Doug isn't in my job description, but the PSP's design philosophy is for something pocket sized, lightweight and much less expensive. I view the PSP as a component for a 72 hour kit, rather than being a 72 hour kit on its own.

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/11/19 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I think there are a few deficiencies in this kit. It looks like the organization features add more bulk than I'd prefer. It should really have a whistle and a signal mirror. The firestarting tools should include tinder and a one-handed option. The shovel and multitool look pretty light-duty to me.

There is a whistle integrated into the backpack, saving space and weight. What I like about that is you can't lose your whistle.

There is tender. Again, Uncharted Supply Co. saves space and weight by using items that have multiple purposes.

You are right about the signal mirror. That kit does not have one. What I would do is add a PSP to fill a few gaps in the Seventy2 Survival System with the only thing genuinely redundant is you now have two whistles, not a huge problem.

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Speaking for Doug isn't in my job description, but the PSP's design philosophy is for something pocket sized, lightweight and much less expensive.

Though bigger (a backpack instead of a pocket kit) and at a higher price, I still think this fits Doug's philosophy of getting the best performance for space, weight and cost. Doug wanted his PSP to be small, lightweight and priced so that every person in a family can have one. I think the Seventy2 Survival System accomplishes the same thing for its category.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/11/19 08:43 PM

Thanks for the corrections about the whistle and the tinder. For a pre-built backpack sized kit, I can't remember seeing a better one anywhere near this price point. The only backpack sized kit that I've seen of Doug's (http://www.dougritter.com/DR-aviator_survival_pak_index.htm) is way more expensive. And no, I don't own one laugh .
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/12/19 03:02 AM

I suppose it's not bad if you're simply unwilling for whatever reason to put together your own kit. Certainly it's larger and contains more stuff than most premade kits. I went through the contents and tallied up everything included, curious what it would cost to purchase everything individually. Some of their items are branded but an equivalent can be easily found (example, their Nalgene is branded but it's still an Nalgene). Assigning a price to each item and erring on the high side on each item to be fair to them I calculated I could buy everything within either locally or at Amazon for $187, not including the bag. So they're getting $350 for $212 worth of items for a markup of about 40%. That's not a horrible deal considering they have to advertise, hire staff, pay workers comp and taxes, etc.

Of course, predictably, I would make my own. grin I have two kits in that same general weight class (on a bit lighter one a bit heavier) that provide an awful lot more capability for less money.

My problem isn't even so much the value for money but the capability for the size of the pack. The pack appears to be at least 25 liters (maybe the size was listed and I missed it). Given a pack of that size there's no good reason not to include a real tarp. Even a Walmart treated nylon tarp for $10 will hold up better and longer than a space blanket tent. No knock on the tent! I have a couple of those but it's pretty charitable to call it a tent. Most of my kits include a Sil-nylon or treated polyester tarp along with a couple of space blankets, and the med/large ones include a large 0.7 mic drop cloth to facilitate construction of a "Super Shelter".

Still, I don't meant to pick nits, Jeanette! That's more compleat than most premade kits to be sure. I doubt I'd buy the bag since it appears to be the most overpriced part of the kit; they sell just the bag for $199! Yikes! eek You could buy a Mystery Ranch technical day/climbing pack for less money and almost undoubtedly get a vastly better bag. Or buy a dry bag pack that was either many times larger or vastly less expensive depending on your priorities. But for the person that wants a turnkey solution it would be bad, and there seems to be a bit of space to add a few items.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/12/19 03:40 AM

I would agree there are a few deficiencies. The omission of a signal mirror is obvious and sets the tone or the "survival' situations envisioned by its developers- evidently one of strife and violence - the kind envisioned by so many ShTF survivalist web sites. A grey pack?, ?Get serious!! If you want to be helped, you must be noticed, to be noticed bright colors are preferable, not dull mousy grey.

I just bought a new general purpose pack - its color is described as "molten red."

The flashlight - it uses "standard batteries". ?? What does that mean?Are the batteries compatible with any of the other electronics? Can any of the electronics function as a power bank?

A more fruitful approach would be to develop a pack that changes with the seasons and the local environment. You will want to initially stock and carry much more water in a hot desert than is available in this kit. What they stock is probably not too bad for a temperate forest in the spring.

A realistic kit needs to be personalized, integrated with an individual's EDC, training, aptitudes, and skills and tweaked for circumstances (like changing seasons and weather).

This kit is an ineffectual use of your money. Better to put your dough and time into a Wilderness first Aid course, among many other options.

Build your own kit, stocking it thoughtfully, and you will be much better served.

Thumbs down on this mess....
Posted by: Tjin

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/12/19 06:59 AM

Not sure what the thing is targetting at? Wilderness? Urban disasters?

'48L inside the shell' and '50L of storage'

Let's say that pretty HUGE.

'Integrated flashlight mounts provide hands-free lighted operation at night'

What's wrong with a plain old headlight. Mounts on the backpack means you have to wear the pack.

'3-in-1 radio'

Personally not a fan, simply because these USB chargers don't provide enough power, nor constant power to charge anything these days. There are tiny FM/AM radio's that sip batteries. Carry a power bank to actually charge things.

'RZ M5 Air Filtration Mask' and 'Goggles'

So more urban I guess? But what's wrong with a plain N95/N99 mask, instead of a mask that doesn't show any certification and cost more.

'glow stick'

Personally; I don't get why they are so popular. Single-use, can be damaged in storage, limited storage life. An actual flashlight with Lithium batteries, stores longer, better light, can be smaller, has an on-off button.

'Convertible Shovel/Pickaxe'

So, when do you actually need one? Big, heavy, not really high on my list of priorities.

'Logo t-shirt'

Not exactly info I need to have printed on the shirt to figure out. Not sure how it's applied, but if it's an iron on the type, then it's just annoying on your skin. (silkscreen is less of an issue)

'Patent Pending.'

Not familiar with US patents, but can't really see patent-worthy things. Organizers and kits can be patented?

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/12/19 08:38 AM

Certainly the addition of a headlamp would be nice. I do like glowsticks! They're not a necessity but they're very handy, pretty cheap and fairly light. I like them to mark things, usually my camp; set them up high on the tent or hang it from a tree to make your camp easy to find if you have to 'use the facilities' in the night, or if you're forced to gather wood after sundown. I agree the shovel/E-tool isn't likely to be worth the weight but if it 's good quality (if!) then it could be handy. A decent quality fixed blade knife or even a good folder would be very useful. The multitool included looks suspiciously like one I picked up at a local store, and it broke literally as I opened the package. A Gerber Dime would be a nice inclusion.

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/12/19 11:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I suppose it's not bad if you're simply unwilling for whatever reason to put together your own kit.

Even during a time in which it is nearly impossible to watch the national news without a disaster (forest fires, floods, hurricanes, tornados, blizzards) being one of the top stories, people still don't prep. Somehow we should expect them to build their own?

Even at my level, I think it is best to buy something off-the-shelf and modify it to one's needs.

Given a pack of that size there's no good reason not to include a real tarp. Even a Walmart treated nylon tarp for $10 will hold up better and longer than a space blanket tent.

This kit is designed for people who probably do not spend a lot of time outdoors. They wouldn't know what to do with a tarp even if they have one.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/12/19 11:35 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
A grey pack?, ?Get serious!! If you want to be helped, you must be noticed, to be noticed bright colors are preferable, not dull mousy grey.

I just bought a new general purpose pack - its color is described as "molten red."

They already explained it. In an urban environment, you need to be the grey man.

A realistic kit needs to be personalized, integrated with an individual's EDC, training, aptitudes, and skills and tweaked for circumstances (like changing seasons and weather).

This kit is an ineffectual use of your money. Better to put your dough and time into a Wilderness first Aid course, among many other options.

Build your own kit, stocking it thoughtfully, and you will be much better served.

Even during a time in which it is nearly impossible to watch the national news without a disaster (forest fires, floods, hurricanes, tornados, blizzards) being one of the top stories, people still don't prep. Somehow we should expect them to take a wilderness first aid class?

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/12/19 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Tjin
Not sure what the thing is targetting at? Wilderness? Urban disasters?

The impression I got is, it's mainly for urban or any situation in which you are on the road.

'Integrated flashlight mounts provide hands-free lighted operation at night'

What's wrong with a plain old headlight. Mounts on the backpack means you have to wear the pack.

I think this is a valid option. The objective is to to use things that have a multi-purpose. In this case, the backpack used as a headlamp strap.

'RZ M5 Air Filtration Mask' and 'Goggles'

So more urban I guess? But what's wrong with a plain N95/N99 mask, instead of a mask that doesn't show any certification and cost more.

They already explain why this is a better option than the N95. Frankly, I'm glad the company did. It's another indication they are serious about saving lives. Other companies throw in the cheapest thing they can find and sell a false sense of security.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/12/19 12:17 PM

A decent quality fixed blade knife or even a good folder would be very useful.

I'm perhaps the only person in this forum who is not a knife expert; nevertheless, I think a better quality knife should be added.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/12/19 01:26 PM

Survival begins with factors which are personal and quite variable - the individual's attitude and willingness to endure. Then comes the person's skills, abilities, and knowledge, along with the ability to think outside the (grey) box and improvise. Then we get into the realm of equipment and gadgetry. What is critical and life saving in one situation may be useless in another.

The perpetrators of this kit have avoided that difficulty by providing stuff that is marginal in almost any situation. A strap on the backpack for mounting a flashlight? I have done quite a lot of night hiking, sometimes dusk to dawn, and it has never occurred to me to put a light on my backpack, nor can I see any advantage to doing so.

You often do want your light in your hand; sometimes it is best on your head. What can work quite well is a small light with a clip that can be adjusted to mount the light on the brim of your ball cap. Please note that these perps will sell you both T shirts and ball caps (survival gear??)

"They already explained it. In an urban environment, you need to be the grey man."

Just another survivalist fantasy, part of the folklore and the script that starts with SHTF (unexplained what that might be, but the grid is usually down), then the urban masses realize they are out of food, raging around search ing for food, and if you are not the "grey man" they will realize you are equipped to survive and they will come and get all your stuff.

You do have situations like the Rodney King riots which approach this condition, but far more often you see group cooperation and assistance when disaster strikes.

For me, I am going to pitch in and help, and be helped, by those around me - not hide behind some fence. That's me, and that is the way I live.
Posted by: Ren

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/12/19 05:02 PM

Backpack is in Watershed Dry Bags ( https://www.drybags.com/ ) price bracket, or Sealine or Ortlieb don't know why you'd pick it.

The flashlight looks like a Sipik SK68 or clone of. Cost around $5 (low as $3). Takes a single AA, or a lithium ion 14500. And it's a zoomie meaning water is getting in.

Evidently Mora or Hultafors knives are too expensive to include.

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/12/19 05:07 PM

Survival begins with factors which are personal and quite variable - the individual's attitude and willingness to endure. Then comes the person's skills, abilities, and knowledge, along with the ability to think outside the (grey) box and improvise. Then we get into the realm of equipment and gadgetry. What is critical and life saving in one situation may be useless in another.

Valid point. Even in the time that we are living in, it's challenging to get people to do the most simple thing: get the equipment. If they do, it would be a Guardian or Ready America "survival kit" from Wal-Mart.

You want them to have skills, abilities and knowledge too? "If we get an earthquake, we'll dial 9-1-1 on our Apple smartphone and Uncle Sam will come and rescue us."

Please note that these perps will sell you both T shirts and ball caps (survival gear??)

No one said that a ballcap could be used as survival gear.

"They already explained it. In an urban environment, you need to be the grey man."

Just another survivalist fantasy, part of the folklore and the script that starts with SHTF (unexplained what that might be, but the grid is usually down), then the urban masses realize they are out of food, raging around search ing for food, and if you are not the "grey man" they will realize you are equipped to survive and they will come and get all your stuff.

In other words, don't wear a target on your back. You'll be the first to go.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/12/19 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Ren
Evidently Mora or Hultafors knives are too expensive to include.

In the comments, they said they tested the Moro and explained why they did not use it in a kit designed for people who do not have the skills.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/12/19 06:30 PM

I don't believe anyone that has done any "testing" would select that particular knife over anything but cost.

Similar knife with sheath & firesteel
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/H....23da7f67p8aDWB

Shovel (may not be exact, but look at the price)
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/h....73391225Jo32Is

AM/FM Radio
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/A....4b3a5825MuGW7S

I think if someone is itching to drop that kind of money on a kit, probably better to head over to https://www.solkoasurvival.com/
Atleast get recognisable brands. Mora, Leatherman, Petzl, Rite in the Rain. Even in Hill People Gear pouches if so desire.
(Though I think their tin containers look naff with velcro holding them together)

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/12/19 09:21 PM

You are walking around with a grey backpack and all the bad guys say, "That's a grey pack - obviously nothing of value on him"???

I just watched the video and their stuff is even worse than I first thought. They actually put a Duracell battery in that chintzy little light. I assume that if they installed a lithium battery they would have said so. You are much better off with either lithium or rechargeable batteries.

Their boo-boo FAK is a joke, and a bad one at that.

I literally laughed when they suggested their plastic sheeting for shnowshoes. Get serious! The sheeting, when supplemented with additional rigid items just might make the grade for a splint or a minor fracture, but even better would be some of the rigid elements in the backpack itself.

Don't bother with chem lights. IME, they degrade, even within their special packaging. The units that are packed for installation on approved life vests are a bit more durable if you must have one of these.

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/12/19 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

This kit is designed for people who probably do not spend a lot of time outdoors. They wouldn't know what to do with a tarp even if they have one.

Jeanette Isabelle

You can't buy preparedness in a box, no matter much one might wish otherwise. People who can't be bothered to learn how to build their kit or learn what they need probably won't bother to buy a kit. Even if they do, everything in the kit requires some knowledge to use. A tarp is no more difficult to use than a tube tent and is vastly more versatile.

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/12/19 09:50 PM

You are walking around with a grey backpack and all the bad guys say, "That's a grey pack - obviously nothing of value on him"???

I just watched the video and their stuff is even worse than I first thought. They actually put a Duracell battery in that chintzy little light. I assume that if they installed a lithium battery they would have said so. You are much better off with either lithium or rechargeable batteries.

Their boo-boo FAK is a joke, and a bad one at that.

I literally laughed when they suggested their plastic sheeting for shnowshoes. Get serious! The sheeting, when supplemented with additional rigid items just might make the grade for a splint or a minor fracture, but even better would be some of the rigid elements in the backpack itself.

Don't bother with chem lights. IME, they degrade, even within their special packaging. The units that are packed for installation on approved life vests are a bit more durable if you must have one of these.

Yeah, I think people are taking the term "grey man" too literally and missing out on the actual meaning. It doesn't mean wear a grey pack! It means blend in and look like everyone else. If no one else is wearing a backpack (especially one with a survival company logo!) then you'll stand out wearing a backpack.

I've had pretty good luck with chemlights, but to be fair I only ever buy the Cyalume brand (which IIRC supplies the military). They seem to hold up well and I've used several that were a couple years past their expiry date; they still work and seem to last just as long. Maybe not as bright? Hard to tell unless you compare side by side.

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/12/19 11:12 PM

To be fair, my experience with chem lights is roughly about twenty yearsago. Phaedrus, i trust your experiences are more recent?Perhaps things are getting better and the old codger is out of date....

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/12/19 11:42 PM

Pretty recent. Not long ago I moved from Idaho to Montana, and during the move I found a long-expired box of Cayalume sticks. I've been snapping one occasionally just to see how they've held up and the results are encouraging.

Still, a few knocks on the light sticks; as you say they're a one-use items. Next even on sale they're $.50 or so each for a single use. Lastly they're light but somewhat bulky. In a very small kit I sometimes can't fit one in unless I remove the outer wrapper which I'd rather not do.

Have you tried the mini versions? They're around 1.5" long and still pretty bright. I will often carry a vial of them to mess around with as markers.

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/13/19 11:56 AM

I'm not excited about the radio. I think one of the following would be better:

https://echo-sigma.com/collections/emerg...lti-power-radio
https://echo-sigma.com/collections/emerg...lti-power-radio

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/13/19 12:13 PM

The power bank unction of the Alibaba is a very goodfeature, although 2000 mAh capacity is rather chintzy. But it does have solar recharge capacity....

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/13/19 12:58 PM

People who can't be bothered to learn how to build their kit or learn what they need probably won't bother to buy a kit.

Though I constructed my EDC bag from the ground up, I wouldn't knock anything off-the-shelf. The reason is, even with my years of experience of building and modifying first aid bags, the better option is to mod an off-the-shelf kit because someone has already worked out some of the issues.

The second reason is companies such as this one, Doug Ritter and two others I know of have figured out ways to get the best performance per space and weight with out-of-the-box thinking and multi-purpose items.

Again, does anyone know of someone, or a company, who has managed to pack the best performance per space and weight?

If not, does anyone know of someone, or a company, who has promoted the idea of each member of a family having a survival device on their person in case of separation and priced that survival product for that purpose? Someone other than Doug, of course.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/13/19 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
People who can't be bothered to learn how to build their kit or learn what they need probably won't bother to buy a kit.

Again, does anyone know of someone, or a company, who has managed to pack the best performance per space and weight?

If not, does anyone know of someone, or a company, who has promoted the idea of each member of a family having a survival device on their person in case of separation and priced that survival product for that purpose? Someone other than Doug, of course.

This mess is a triumph of marketing over expertise - shoddy, low cost items that seem to work ( and that probably will fail when it counts).

Ultra light backpackers, or back packers in general, have progressed much further in the area of utility for lower weight. Check them out.

Everyone's circumstances and resources are somewhat different. In preparing for survival,, a good first step is to check out the stuff you already own. For most of us, many of the essentials are already at hand, and simply need to be organized. Other items can be purchased for far less than the cost of this random assortment.

If you are searching for a kit for each family member, it is even more important to prepare individualized kits. Grandmother does not need the same items as do the children.
Posted by: Russ

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/13/19 03:43 PM

Agree. I tend to avoid items that do too many different things. The item breaks just when you need it most and you lose everything. My small Anker power-bank has ~3400 mAh and I can drop it in my pocket to recharge things like cellphones. Other power banks have more mAh’s available but aren’t exactly pocket friendly. The lights & radios in the kit run on either AA or AAA Eneloop rechargeable batteries and I have multiples of both sizes. My brighter lights use 18650 Li-ion batteries and spares are available for those too.

Note & OT: I have been delayed finishing up my test of backpackable solar panels, but suffice to say you can expect 60%-80% of the wattage that’s included in the name on a nice sunny day — devil’s in the details. If I had to choose just one, my overall favorite is the Renogy 21W Solar Panel Foldable PowerPort.... It’s small/light enough to carry and can charge anything I’d take hiking. Small chargers are available for AA, AAA & 18650. The only requirement is that it accepts a USB input.

I suppose if you’re in tornado country a NOAA weather radio might be important, but for me, a good reliable AM/FM radio is enough. There’s supposedly a NOAA station here but I’ve yet to hear anything relevant. AM radio OTOH is very useful for news and weather. For that, I carry an old Sony ICF-S10MK2 radio (which judging by the prices on-line seems to have reached collector/cult status). The model has been around for a long time and is well tested, but it’s just a radio. The Sony ICFP26 Portable AM/FM Radio seems to be the follow-on model — better in some ways (battery life), not so much in others (signal reception) — read the reviews. Should be available for < $20.

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/13/19 07:08 PM

The power bank unction of the Alibaba is a very goodfeature, although 2000 mAh capacity is rather chintzy. But it does have solar recharge capacity....

If I bought something like that, I wouldn't trust the battery to be 2000 mAh anyway. Would replace with a known good quality, something like a Samsung 35E, which also would bump up the capacity to 3500 mAh.

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/13/19 07:56 PM

Totally agree, especially if the battery is replaceable...

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/14/19 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Ren
I think if someone is itching to drop that kind of money on a kit, probably better to head over to https://www.solkoasurvival.com/
Atleast get recognisable brands. Mora, Leatherman, Petzl, Rite in the Rain. Even in Hill People Gear pouches if so desire.
(Though I think their tin containers look naff with velcro holding them together)

I appreciate every suggestion and I am in the process of thoroughly checking everything this company has to offer.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/15/19 12:11 AM

I appreciate that you're always researching products like this Jeanette! Some of the stuff you did up is complete news to me, like the FAK you posted that around $20. Got that one in my Amazon cart right now! grin

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/15/19 01:09 AM

I appreciate that you're always researching products like this Jeanette! Some of the stuff you did up is complete news to me, like the FAK you posted that around $20.

Thank you.

I have this obsession with gear that I can trace to my childhood. Except for my EDC bag, I've had the most success with buying something off-the-shelf and modify it for a particular need.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of copy cats in this industry. They would put a "food" ration bar, packets of water, glow stick and a toy whistle in a container and call it a "kit." Worse, they would buy kits from another source and put their label on it.

Sometimes I can find a gem. There are a few. But if I'm lucky, I can find someone who innovates, like Doug Ritter.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: teacher

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/16/19 06:39 PM

As a side note, I think a DIY kit would involve the user in many useful ways; among them having her think of where and how it might be used and what deficiencies the kit might have..

And I think most kits should include a shell jacket of some sort.

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 06/16/19 09:56 PM

Yeah, even a light shell could be a lifesaver.

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 07/18/19 05:52 PM

To those who say that the Seventy2 is a piece of junk, why is someone building a counterfeit?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1172924013/companion-most-advanced-2-person-emergency-surviva

Counterfeiters don't counterfeit junk.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 07/18/19 07:53 PM

Someone is building a "counterfeit" because a sucker is born every minute.

I note that for $149($50 off list price!!!) they will give you a pack (unspecified volume) eight empty pouches, a water bottle (possibly 12 oz capacity; if so, not nearly sufficient for any conditions I have experienced), a survival guide, and some straps and odds and ends.

I could walk down the aisles of my local REI store and garner better items for less - with my eyes closed...

I suspect there is money to be made, if you have enough smoke and mirrors.

For one thing, their pack should have extra capacity for personal, unique items -like the aforementioned shell jacket, a very useful item in a good many situations (my fave is a Patagonia Houdini, currently).

I don't think these collections of choss bear any comparison with Ritter's kits, many of which are much more practical and are actually intended for a slightly different purpose (aviation).

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 07/18/19 08:51 PM

After more than a month of researching the Seventy2, other premade kits (such as those made by Sustain, Emergency Case and Storm Packs), reading what items, if any, these companies recommend to supplement their products and organizing this information with a spreadsheet program, I am on the opinion that the Pocket Survival Pack and the Seventy2 complement each other. Allow me to illustrate.

The following are the items that Doug Ritter recommends to supplement the PSP:

• Knife (the Seventy2 has this; I doubt it is a knife that Doug would approve of)
  • Flashlight (the Seventy2 has this)
  • First Aid Kit (the Seventy2 has this)
  • Tube Tent (the Seventy2 has this)
  • Space Blanket (the Seventy2 has this)
  • Bivvy Sack (AMK sells this separately)
  • Rain Poncho
  • Water (the Seventy2 provides a water bottle for the owner to fill)
  • Water Purification (the Seventy2 has this)
  • Matches (the Seventy2 has this)
  • Lighter (Uncharted recommends this for the Seventy2)
  • Personal Locator Beacon (Uncharted recommends a satellite device which it sells separately)

The following are the items Uncharted recommends for supplementing the Seventy2 when bugging out:

• Sleeping Bag
  • Fishing Kit (the PSP has this)
  • Waterproof Jacket
  • Change of Clothes
  • Pepper Spray
  • Headlamp (Doug used to sell this separately)
  • Tourniquet
  • Map
  • Compass (the PSP has this)
  • Satellite Device (Uncharted sells this separately)
  • Crowbar
  • Folding Saw
  • Sewing Kit (the PSP has this)
  • Copies of Important Documents
  • Emergency Cash
  • Prescription Drugs
  • Signal Mirror (the PSP has this)

Note: Uncharted recommends a different selection of items for very specific situations such as camping during the winter. I chose the bug-out scenario because this is where the two kits complement each other.

When combining the two kits, filling in gaps the other has, what Doug and Uncharted recommend, the following are what is recommended to complete this proposed two-kit system:

• Bivvy Sack/Sleeping Bag
  • Rain Poncho/Waterproof Jacket
  • Change of Clothes
  • Lighter
  • Pepper Spray
  • Headlamp
  • Tourniquet
  • Map
  • Personal Locator Beacon/Satellite Device
  • Crowbar
  • Folding Saw
  • Copies of Important Documents
  • Emergency Cash
  • Prescription Drugs

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 07/18/19 09:09 PM

Someone is building a "counterfeit" because a sucker is born every minute.

This is why they need to get the genuine instead of a counterfeit.

I suspect there is money to be made, if you have enough smoke and mirrors.

True. When someone else makes a killer product, copy it. We have seen that with multi-tools and Doug's PSP.

I don't think these collections of choss bear any comparison with Ritter's kits, many of which are much more practical and are actually intended for a slightly different purpose (aviation).

I addressed that in my previous post.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 07/18/19 09:22 PM

Having actually bugged out recently, under a certain amount of duress, I regard these "kits" as a beginning (not a particularly good one, but a start, nonetheless, and that at least is something). As always, what is assembled, and actually used, will vary drastically, depending upon the season, the weather, the particular emergency, just to name some o the major factors at play.

As always, human ingenuity and inventiveness are far more important than the gadgets at hand (although there is nothing wrong with both, working together in concert = gadgets plus knowledge for the win!).

Discussions like this are fun, but in reality, if you have just a few of the basics, a bit of ingenuity , a gift for improvisation, and the ability to withstand a decent amount of suffering and deprivation, things will work out in the end.

People are doing that right now, even while we are chatting....

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 07/19/19 12:08 AM

Having actually bugged out recently, under a certain amount of duress, I regard these "kits" as a beginning (not a particularly good one, but a start, nonetheless, and that at least is something). As always, what is assembled, and actually used, will vary drastically, depending upon the season, the weather, the particular emergency, just to name some o the major factors at play.

That is why Doug Ritter and Uncharted Supply Company made recommendations to supplement their respective kits. I particularly like what Uncharted did, use one set of recommendations per situation. It's like using the Seventy2 as a standard "foundation" for a wide variety of custom homes if you permit me to use such an analogy.

As always, human ingenuity and inventiveness are far more important than the gadgets at hand (although there is nothing wrong with both, working together in concert = gadgets plus knowledge for the win!).

I did not talk about it much in this forum; one thing that was abundantly clear as I did my research is that to maximize the full benefit of both the PSP and the Seventy2, I need to train with these kits.

For example, to catch a fish with the PSP, I need to be able to catch a fish with the PSP. A fish will not jump out of a lake, clean itself and begin cooking simply because I have a PSP.

Discussions like this are fun, but in reality, if you have just a few of the basics, a bit of ingenuity , a gift for improvisation, and the ability to withstand a decent amount of suffering and deprivation, things will work out in the end.

I'm for all that except for the suffering and deprivation.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 07/20/19 04:28 PM

Really, a litle (not a lot!) of s & d is good for the soul....

Very honestly, a bit of testing one's limits from time to time gives useful information.

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 07/20/19 05:14 PM

A little pain and suffering is good for testing one's limits...but not to excess

Re: The Best Thing Since Doug Ritter's PSP? - 07/20/19 08:46 PM

Really, a litle (not a lot!) of s & d is good for the soul....

I'm already suffering. I live in Florida.

Jeanette Isabelle