Hypothermia Claimed The Life Of Woman

Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Hypothermia Claimed The Life Of Woman - 04/10/19 02:38 AM

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/20...s-national-park
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Hypothermia Claimed The Life Of Woman - 04/10/19 03:00 AM

Very sad. In some ways I think spring is more dangerous than winter. In winter most folks going outdoors are dressed for the cold but in spring people don't seem aware that temps in the low forties pose a danger. When the daytime temps can be in the 70's it's easy to get complacent.
Posted by: Herman30

Re: Hypothermia Claimed The Life Of Woman - 04/10/19 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
In some ways I think spring is more dangerous than winter.

This incident happened in the fall.

Quote:
...were hiking in Great Smoky last fall...

Re: Hypothermia Claimed The Life Of Woman - 04/10/19 06:21 AM

Fall is kind of the same as spring. Warm in the day typically, getting cold at night. Easy to be complacent.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Hypothermia Claimed The Life Of Woman - 04/10/19 04:10 PM

How windy were conditions? Wind is an important factor in the induction of hypothermia, often as significant as temperature..

Hypothermia can be quite subtle. I have been near hypothermic myself on a couple of occasions, and I definitely should know better...
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Hypothermia Claimed The Life Of Woman - 04/10/19 04:50 PM

In seasons other than winter you are usually less prepared, physically and mentally. It can be very sneaky. It does not take much in the way of clothing and equipment to prevent though.

Re: Hypothermia Claimed The Life Of Woman - 04/11/19 04:48 AM

Today was a good example of how fickle weather in the transitional seasons can bite a fellow. I had to drive about 140 miles to a food show in Billings. Yesterday it was sixty with intermittent showers, and silly ol' me expected the same today. So I get up early and get dressed, stepping out the door to- snow! It was a low-key blizzard from about Bozeman to the pass around Big Timber and interstate traffic was moving at a crawl. I think it took 45 minutes to go 30 miles, maybe a bit more. Luckily the weather was much better the rest of the way but I did still have my winter boots and sleeping bag in the trunk. On the downside I was wearing shorts... blush