Are Those In The US Interested In This.

Posted by: Ian

Are Those In The US Interested In This. - 09/24/18 04:35 PM

An Icelandic Volcano is about to blow:

Standard Newspaper

Daily Express

or not:

news.com.au

The last time this happened it was a mess. The 1783 icelandic eruption was a disaster for Europe.

1783 Laki eruption
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Are Those In The US Interested In This. - 09/24/18 05:43 PM

Speaking for myself, I'm interested. I have no European travel scheduled at all, so the effect on me personally is likely to be small if not zero.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Are Those In The US Interested In This. - 09/24/18 06:09 PM

Color me interested. The effects may well be global is scale.

What is shocking,shocking I tell you, is the misinterpretation of scientific reports by journalists. I am sure this has never happened before....
Posted by: Russ

Re: Are Those In The US Interested In This. - 09/24/18 06:16 PM

Will I be directly affected by a volcano in Iceland? No, however, volcanic eruptions are always of interest. I live on the Ring of Fire and while there are no active volcanos in my immediate neighborhood, EQ’s and volcanic activity seem to correlate. My roots are in the PNW and there we have Mount St. Helens, Mt Rainier and Mt Baker (all volcanic), and we have the Cascadia subduction zone off the coast.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Are Those In The US Interested In This. - 09/24/18 06:29 PM

When I first heard about it, I was very skeptical. Katla tends to erupt within a few years of the neighbouring volcano Eyja (as it did in 2010). I know the potential for Katla to explode/erupt but have heard nothing about rumblings. So I checked the USGS earthquake site last week and guess what - NADA. Not even tiny earthquakes have been recorded in the last 30 days. So yes, the article is totally sensationalistic and garbage journalism.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Are Those In The US Interested In This. - 09/24/18 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
So yes, the article is totally sensationalistic and garbage journalism.

Now I am less interested.
Posted by: GoatRider

Re: Are Those In The US Interested In This. - 09/25/18 02:59 AM

"The level of disruption will depend on the intensity of the eruption and the direction of the winds at the time".

No kidding? This is like the snow forecast I saw once that predicted "Up to 3 inches of snow or more."
Posted by: adam2

Re: Are Those In The US Interested In This. - 09/25/18 02:20 PM

If a major eruption occurs, this could have most serious consequences in Europe due to reduced food production, increased fuel demands and transport disruption.

There would be indirect effects in America due to increased commodity prices, and perhaps bank failures due to money loaned to enterprises ruined by the eruption.

However the sensational nature of the reports, and the dubious reputation of the featured newspaper make me take the reports with a large pinch of salt.
It is well to prepare, so far as one reasonably can, but volcanic eruptions are fairly low on my list of things to worry about.
Every autumn that newspaper predicts "worst winter for 100 years on the way" and every spring they predict "hottest summer ever on the way"
"killer storm approaching" is a frequent headline at any time of year. Sometimes they are right!
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Are Those In The US Interested In This. - 09/25/18 10:10 PM

But there should be spectacular sunsets worldwide!