Fenix HL10 Headlamp/key chain light

Posted by: hikermor

Fenix HL10 Headlamp/key chain light - 07/27/18 05:51 PM

I mentioned acquiring this model a bit ago and Montanero, I believe, was interested in how it would work for me. I am very happy with this light and it is a slight improvement over my previous key chain light, a Fenix LD02.

The HL10 is a separate light assembly which sits in a headband holder which fits on one's head or hat. The light can easily be tilted through a wide range. the light inserts or removes from the holder with a bit of effort, but it is doable. The total volume of the HL10 is about the same as the LD02, slightly thicker in the head, but shorter overall.

I have used mine as a key chain light and I am happy. It has not turned on inadvertently, something the LD02 did occasionally. I keep the headlamp assembly handy and will probably throw it in my pack on trips - weight and bulk are trivial compared to the increased utility.

The light has three brightness levels - the highest of which is said to be 70 lumens. It is useful for getting around ordinary terrain in the dark. AAA's don't last forever, so I usually have a spare handy in a separate container. Fenix doesn't recommend using lithium primaries in the hL10, a minor inconvenience - I am quite happy with Eneloops.

All in all, thumbs up! The price ($27) is reasonable
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Fenix HL10 Headlamp/key chain light - 07/31/18 06:17 PM

Thanks Hikermor
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Fenix HL10 Headlamp/key chain light - 09/14/18 03:59 PM

An update on this light after a couple of month's usage. It has a useful feature i did not recognize immediately. In order to turn on the light, it is necessary to press and hold the switch for about a second a mere tap will not turn on the light. This is useful in a key chain light because it is less likely to turn on by mistake.

The light is available in a bronze/gold color which seems to display wear marks less conspicuously than the usual black color. All in all, a dandy light. I have been glad on several occasions that I had it handy.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Fenix HL10 Headlamp/key chain light - 09/14/18 04:17 PM

I see this has a flood-to-spot option. Much better than the LD02 flood (I preferred the LD01).

Wonder if it's compatible with the clips from the previous versions? Could be great for hands-free use.

Darn you anyway, hikermor, now I need to go shopping! laugh
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Fenix HL10 Headlamp/key chain light - 09/14/18 04:28 PM

And there's an LD02 v2.0 now, with UV mode and a really nice stainless steel tip and tail. Argh!