Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin

Posted by: clearwater

Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin - 06/13/18 05:25 PM

http://www.trailblazerfirearms.com/

Posted by: haertig

Re: Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin - 06/13/18 07:16 PM

It may fit in an Altoids Tin, but what purpose would it serve? For personal protection, well, after you take the requisite 5 minutes to extract and deploy it, the threat will already be gone (or you dead). Most likely you'd end up shooting yourself with it though, due to it's awkwardness and quite unsafe-looking profile. For sustenance hunting, you'd probably do better with a slingshot. That toy is not going to be accurate at all. One: because of it's overall design, Two: because it doesn't even have any sights! You would be lucky to hit a dinner plate with it from two feet out.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin - 06/13/18 07:32 PM

Where are the rails for mounting telescopic sights?

Do you call "King's X" when you must reload?

This is a joke and a fairly expensive one at that although the MSRP isn't mentioned....
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin - 06/13/18 08:10 PM

I'm not a big fan of .22 LR for defensive purposes, and I'm rather less of a fan of very small pistols for taking small game. I like the idea of .22 LR takedown rifles for survival hunting a lot more.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin - 06/13/18 08:12 PM

I see no use for this in taking game, and very little in self defense. It is a gimmick and nothing more, unless it is intended for illegal activities.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin - 06/13/18 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I'm not a big fan of .22 LR for defensive purposes, and I'm rather less of a fan of very small pistols for taking small game. I like the idea of .22 LR takedown rifles for survival hunting a lot more.

I hear you on that. I have used an AR-7 for many years, mostly plinking, but if were to get hungry, it would do the job. The newer versions can accept telescopic sights,etc. quite readily.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin - 06/14/18 03:50 PM

It needs a laser and a magazine. And a 16" barrel.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin - 06/14/18 07:34 PM

Guns like that have been around for about a century. They were designed for spies, assasins or resistance fighters. The Liberator pistol kind of falls in that category too. They were intended for close range use. Precission or fast deployment were not really required for that.
It may be a collector´s item just like that Swiss revolver in caliber 2.34 mm.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin - 06/14/18 10:52 PM

I would not mind having a gun this small and in .22lr. However, I would prefer it to have a trigger guard and be non-folding. I am sure there is something out there like what I described. I have just not had the motivation to search.

Re: Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin - 06/14/18 11:33 PM

The smallest I know of is the NAA mini revolver. Comes in .22LR and also in .22Mag. I've shot both, didn't hit much with either one. They hold 5 shots. Seemed well enough made, and interesting to shoot just so I could say that I did. At the distance you could hit something with one of these, you could also stab it, and a knife would be more effective IMHO. But if you want small ... this is it.

Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin - 06/15/18 01:34 AM

Hmmm...anybody know where I can get an altoids tin big enough for a Glock and a 30-30?
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin - 06/15/18 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: UncleGoo
Hmmm...anybody know where I can get an altoids tin big enough for a Glock and a 30-30?

I have Altoids in my car's glovebox and keep a gun (legally!) in the trunk, does that count?
Posted by: wileycoyote

Re: Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin - 06/15/18 02:03 PM

a self defense or food gathering firearm should be accurate enough to hit a vital area with enough energy to effectively stop the target. just making a loud noise isn't enough.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin - 06/15/18 03:08 PM

It seems to be feasible to actually hit a target at a useful range (7 yards would beyond my stabbing range, even with my big knife ;))
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB-vaGV8wy0

Here is a demo on this gun and few other small handguns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSw28CxlmgI

or if something slightly bigger is OK:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdxKZzRi-JI
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin - 06/15/18 09:56 PM

Yesterday, I was browsing tiny pistols in .22lr. I kept adding features I wanted and soon found myself looking at the Glock 43. This tiny pistol thing is just not going to happen for me.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin - 06/15/18 10:41 PM

Yeah, a few years back I was looking for a small pistol for CC and the smallest I felt comfortable shooting well was a G-19; I prefer a grip I can actually hold. That G-19 and its big brother G-17 are my go-to pistols these days. .45ACP’s (Glock & 1911) are all in the safe. There’s also a Beretta Tomcat (.32ACP) in the safe that has an awful trigger; tiny guns carry easily, but simply carrying isn’t the point.
Posted by: Burncycle

Re: Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin - 06/16/18 07:29 AM

Not an altoids tin, but speaking of the NAA pistol...

Someone made a bicycle rifle out of one, and to be honest I haven't seen anything else out there as compact (as far as pack rifles go) unless it was a single shot... and since the pistols are available in .22 Magnum as well, it puts it in a different class altogether.

As long as you had good sights, it would be a great squirrel getter!

Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin - 06/16/18 08:10 AM

I'm not much into novelty guns like that. The smallest firearm I personally have is probably a tie between my Beretta Nano and my Ruger LCRx 3".
Posted by: amper

Re: Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin - 07/30/18 09:51 PM

I think the NAA revolvers are cute, as are the Bond Arms derringers, but I wouldn't ever rely on one of them, unless I was cosplaying a late 19th Century thing.

Re: Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin - 08/01/18 12:33 AM

If you've ever seen a Bond Arms derringer, they are not "cute" as in "small", like an NAA revolver. Those Bond Arms things are huge. I've seen smaller 1911's I think...
Posted by: amper

Re: Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin - 08/02/18 03:40 AM

Well, you know, there's only so small a derringer can be, if it fits two .410 Magnum shells. laugh