FAK + survival kit = comfort kit

Posted by: TeacherRO

FAK + survival kit = comfort kit - 05/24/18 04:41 PM

I've combined my first aid kit and survival kit (for outdoors; hiking, boating,etc.) into one unit. Really just added a small knife, flashlight, lighter and other essential to the FAK pouch.

Its about the size of a small paperback, so rides easily in a pack or cargo shorts pocket.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit - 05/24/18 04:54 PM

I have a tiny SAK for my FAK. It has scissors, red LED, and a pen. Keeps the kit small. I use a red pouch for the FAK and an orange one for the survival kit. I have a blue one for the water filter, a white one for the TP and soap etc.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit - 05/24/18 07:16 PM

I do the same. Stashing survival stuff in my FAK just seems like a no-brainer since it's the one piece of kit I can realistically seeing myself grabbing and running with.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit - 05/24/18 08:21 PM

My day pack always has a basic FAK plus what I term a "core bag," plus possibly other items. I could easily spend a night out using the contents of the core bag - about three pounds of tastefully chosen goodies.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit - 05/24/18 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
My day pack always has a basic FAK plus what I term a "core bag," plus possibly other items. I could easily spend a night out using the contents of the core bag - about three pounds of tastefully chosen goodies.

Though a little more substantial, you are describing my EDC. I designed mine when an unexpected overnighter in Dallas was the norm.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: hikermor

Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit - 05/25/18 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Originally Posted By: hikermor

Though a little more substantial, you are describing my EDC. I designed mine when an unexpected overnighter in Dallas was the norm.

Jeanette Isabelle

I'll bet there are substantial differences. I would not be at all happy spending a night in Dallas> I grew up there and was happy to leave for wilder country.

Anyway, here's what is in the core bag:

bivvy sac (bivouac d'urgence, per label)
AA headlamp (Zebralite, variable level)
two candles, in small tins
Esbit stove
three Esbit tabs
Suunto mc-2 compass (w/mirror)
AAA light (Fenix LD01)
spare AA & AAA batteries (lithium)
whistle
match case w/ stormproof matches (25)
small roll duct tape
small bottle hand sanitizer (cleanser & fire starter)
Bic lighter
20' mason twine
DR Mk 5 knife (sharp)
signal mirror
wetfire tabs
aluminum container w/handle (cooking, water purification)

On a typical day hike, I will also have at least one water bottle w/ metal cup, TP, topo map, cell phone, AAA light, PS4 MT, wallet, FAK, full brim hat, bandanna, and appropriate clothing,including at least one lightweight jacket w/hood - maybe another MT or knife, depending. I take food and snacks, enough for at least one unanticipated meal.

I have delved into all this gear on at least two recent occasions, although not for an overnighter. I have spent the night out with much less, but I would not want to make that a habit.

Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit - 05/25/18 11:13 AM

Your EDC will get you through a night outdoors. In my situation, I always had shelter even if there no water or electricity.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit - 06/26/18 07:45 PM

I'm adding a printed contents list -- including what is not in the kit.
(e.g. no food included)

Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit - 07/04/18 11:32 PM

ANd the usual cash ($20-$100)

Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit - 07/06/18 03:20 PM

I did not think of it in such terms; the medical kit I'm customizing can be considered a comfort kit. After all, it has or will have everything I know how to use within its space restrictions.

Knowing that I have prepared for everything I can prepare for is a comfort.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: amper

Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit - 07/30/18 09:32 PM

As I was saying in another thread:

Quote:
I keep my usual backcountry ditty bag in my handbag, right next to my makeup bag. I used to have just the basics in my makeup bag, but decided recently to carry more.

I have a Victorinox Rambler, Bic mini Bic, and Fisher Bullet Space Pen, a Storm whistle, a small PackTowl, an Inova X1 flashlight and spare battery, a LMF Swedish Army FireSteel, and a DiaSharp card, along with a few odds and ends like a couple of blanket pins, a couple of ponytail elastics, and a small vial of acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and diphenydramine, plus a 1 oz spray bottle filled with 70% isopropanol for hand sanitizer.

All of that goes in an IKEA fabric sandwich bag. I'm looking for a new pouch, though. There's a few things that need to be added/replaced, like a simple compass and a bit of cordage, those are on my shopping list.

On top of that, in my handbag is *always* a full set of Snow Peak titanium flatware (knife, fork, spoon, spork) a pair of Keith titanium chopsticks, and a fixed-blade Buck Diamondback for cutting baguettes, because those are all my EDC for lunch.

And then there's my vintage Gerber AirFrame folding knife.

My makeup case always has a compact in it that has a mirror that could be used for signalling, if necessary. Also, lip and eye pencils make good tinder, or a carpenters' pencil, if you don't wear makeup.

I'm having to rethink my idea of a first-aid kit, since I've recently discovered that I have developed a severe allergy to adhesive bandages, and have had terrible reactions to four different brands. It started to develop last year, but I didn't realise what it was.

But, really, my philosophy these days is more "stay out of trouble" than "be prepared for the apocalypse".

Just what I have in my handbag on a daily basis would enable me to get by in most situations. Usually, I'm carrying a 1 L Nalgene bottle, too, for lunch.

Because I live in a mountainous area with many dirt roads (New England), during winter, I keep a sleeping bag and MSR Rapidfire stove in my truck, as well as my Husqvarna/Hultafors axe, a Fanno Saw Works 30" log saw, a 36" DeWalt demolition bar, and a 15000 lb tow strap.

Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit - 09/04/18 01:29 AM

I've added some cordage - either dental floss or 50# fishing line, some rubber bands and larger safety pins

Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit - 10/30/18 07:03 PM

More things I need to add are cash, writing paper and a pen.
And still keep it under a pound.

Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit - 12/05/18 06:33 PM

for the wilderness/boating kit, I've added a pocket fresnel lens and a tiny signal mirror

Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit - 06/12/20 08:38 PM

I am adding some bug wipes - foil pouches with bug repellent.
Posted by: Burncycle

Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit - 06/14/20 06:45 PM

I'm experimenting with a Wazoo Cache belt to potentially replace part of my PSK. It has a lot of potential as an altoids tin alternative. Insufficient on it's own, but as a supplement to an EDC has potential.

I very much like the idea of being able to carry a couple of 1 liter water carriers and purification tablets (among other things) even when I don't have a cargo pocket, such as when wearing jeans.

I was able to fit a space blanket in there, so I will try again with a more durable SOL blanket. I do wish it was a 1.75" belt rather than a 1.5"... I may have to experiment with making something of my own.

Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit - 06/16/20 06:58 PM

Have you considered just adding a pouch? Something the size of a cell phone holder would work.

Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit - 06/17/20 08:02 AM

Definitely an option! I generally wear my shirt untucked though and I'm not a fan of pouches or anything that really sticks out on my belt.
Posted by: GoatMan

Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit - 06/17/20 06:02 PM

@Burncycle

How much velcro is on the inside of the Wazoo Cache belt to actually hold it closed? I also think a 1 3/4" width would have been better. I like the concept as long as it isn't over stuffed. I would assume the space blanket took up most of it, isn't pratical. Easier to just put it in a pocket and put the variety of backup necessities in the belt.

Curious of any other feedback you have on it.

Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit - 06/17/20 08:05 PM

Looks like they used .5" velco that serves as a flap to hold items against the inner side of the belt, but actual contact area when packed is about half that since it bulges a little.

The space blanket does take up most of the available space, only about 1.5" left on either side for items, so I'd probably just stick it in a pocket as you indicate.

Otherwise though I rather like it.

I've picked up some 1.75" webbing and will see if I can find someone with a heavy duty sewing machine to DIY a test article, but that little bit of extra room looks like it will make a big difference.