How I have sharpened a Machete

Posted by: clearwater

How I have sharpened a Machete - 04/24/18 10:53 PM

In the field I use a Barsted File, be sure to push back against the edge to avoid filling the file teeth with metal. Same as you would for an axe. Then follow with a hockey puck stone in a circular pattern. Wear gloves to help prevent cuts. Works fine dry in my experience.

I have also used a silicone carbide sanding disk chucked in a drill to quickly take out large nicks.

Had to make my 1000th post.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: How I have sharpened a Machete - 04/25/18 12:40 AM

Thank you. your post is much more informative that "that other one" (now locked).

A machete question. About twenty-five years ago, I had the pleasure of caving in Oaxaca. while there, I acquired a typical machete and scabbard in the marketplace. , a brand which seemed very common then The brand was a Collins (definitely common in Oaxaca), but I do not see the brand mentioned in current discussions. Are they still around??
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: How I have sharpened a Machete - 04/27/18 01:30 AM

So far so good on this thread.

I don’t recall posting “this is fine” very often, if at all, for what would normally be a non-controversial topic. Given that I recently locked a thread with similar content I thought it would be worthwhile to explicitly state that this one is fine, at least so far.

If anyone has any questions about what was wrong with the one that got locked and what isn’t wrong with this one, please PM me.

Carry on,

chaosmagnet
Posted by: RaymondRussell24

Re: How I have sharpened a Machete - 07/25/19 03:40 PM

Updated: Post deleted for spam, user banned.

chaosmagnet
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: How I have sharpened a Machete - 07/26/19 02:36 AM

hikermore... I had a Collins (US GI) marked 1944, but was stolen from my car... I replaced it with a much thinner blade Collins SA made in Guatemala, but that was probably in the mid 1990s, it has been shortened to 14" and added a clip point... I currently use a Tramontina Bolo for brush trimming... Tramontina cutlery is much more common in this part of Florida
Posted by: GloriaRPowell

Re: How I have sharpened a Machete - 09/24/19 05:21 AM

Spam deleted and spammer banned.

chaosmagnet