Swiss Tech

Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Swiss Tech - 04/18/18 12:16 AM

I did not know this until they arrived in the mail. Mom got each of us one of these:

http://www.swisstechtools.com/proddetail.aspx?pid=5

I put one on my keychain; I wonder, is this thing any good? Tell me what you think.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Swiss Tech - 04/18/18 12:27 AM

If it works for you and your mom, it's fine. I suspect the small phillips screwdriver might be good for eyeglass screws; that alone makes it worthwhile.

I have one kicking around somewhere; I was not impressed with the knife on my unit,, but I never really tried to put an edge on it. If you should skin and butcher a deer, you might want something a little bigger....
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Swiss Tech - 04/18/18 01:08 AM

I have not used this yet. My tool of choice has always been a pair of EMT shears. Sometimes I need something to open a cardboard box (I've always had something for that at the locations I needed to open one) and sometimes I need a screwdriver. With one exception out of a period of eleven years, my EMT shears were able to improvise as a screwdriver.

I was from Dallas. There was never any deer for me to skin or butcher.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Famdoc

Re: Swiss Tech - 04/18/18 01:22 AM

If you try to fly commercially with one of those on a keyring, TSA may or may not keep it. Reports vary. Not a big loss if confiscated.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Swiss Tech - 04/18/18 01:37 AM

They can be difficult to open, hold it carefully. It is a decent blade for small jobs, just not much to hold on to.
Posted by: roberttheiii

Re: Swiss Tech - 04/18/18 01:17 PM

I have carried one of these on my keys for years. It does not replace a better tool, but it can get a surprising number of things done when it is the only tool you happen to have.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Swiss Tech - 04/18/18 01:51 PM

I had one. After about two years the loop that holds the unit on the keyring broke.
Mine came with a decent edge. When using the bottle opener or the phillips screwdriver the serrated part of the blade requires a bit of attention. From other posts you made I know that you also have a decent FAK. That might come in handy wink.
I would not buy one again.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Swiss Tech - 04/18/18 09:10 PM

I have one in my nightstand for eyeglass repair. The first one broke on the key ring, they sent me a new one.

I rubbed it back an forth on a stone and got the edge of the knife sharper. It will open the tape on boxes etc.

Like a broken drill bit (it still makes a hole, just more work) it will do in a pinch for small chores. Might be good when there is never a reason to carry a knife.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Swiss Tech - 04/19/18 01:15 AM

I have one and I like it. Lightweight, inexpensive and way better than nothing.

The TSA will positively take it away from you...if they notice it. My experience has been that they don’t notice much.
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: Swiss Tech - 04/20/18 06:16 AM

Regards eye glasses screws. If you ask when you get glasses they'll glue the ones on the glasses in for you and give you some spares.

qjs
Posted by: CJK

Re: Swiss Tech - 04/21/18 12:56 PM

I have and like it too. Good for an 'always' tool. On the key ring and 'always' there. Used mostly for eye glass screws and opening taped closed boxes. Good in a pinch.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Swiss Tech - 04/21/18 02:09 PM

My fave key chain tool is the Leatherman PS4. The pliers are tiny, but effective. Even smaller is the SAK Classic - blade, tweezers, scissors. Variant models sport either a ball point pen or a small light. I have found both useful. It ain't no multitool, less you can grab and pinch somethin" with it.

Usual disclaimers....