A small knife gets used...

Posted by: TeacherRO

A small knife gets used... - 04/06/18 09:33 PM

Of all the choices I have, its the smallest knife that I carry that's the one that gets used.
Posted by: Russ

Re: A small knife gets used... - 04/08/18 02:39 PM

The reason it’s used is because it’s carried. If you carried a bigger knife, you’d use that one instead. Now, if you carry more than one knife, which one do you use - big, small, most appropriate?
Posted by: hikermor

Re: A small knife gets used... - 04/08/18 03:48 PM

I grab the handiest and most convenient. I was perfectly happy with a Swiss Army Knife, until Leatherman came along with good decent pliers to add to the mix.

Today a skeletool is a good blend of size, number of tools, and convenience - carried most of the time, along with a PS4..
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: A small knife gets used... - 04/08/18 04:29 PM

Available, accessible, appropriate to the task
Posted by: Tjin

Re: A small knife gets used... - 04/08/18 06:00 PM

Things that are easy to carry as used more often. For everyday that are things like my SAK and Nitcore Tube.

But i also have a small toolbag for quick fixes, makes things quicker and easier, so more things are fixed quicker.

This also apply's to most other things; from work, hobbies (climbing, MTB, skiing, etc). If it's small and light, more likely to bring it with me and actually be usefull.

Having items that are to bit or complicated are just adding logistical stress (both in my private and proffesional life).
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: A small knife gets used... - 11/06/18 09:45 PM

...Yes, my EDC knife fits in my jeans watch pocket.
Posted by: Russ

Re: A small knife gets used... - 11/07/18 12:23 AM

The Benchmade 535 Bugout fits in that spot for knives that are small and light enough to carry every day, and not really notice; but at the same time large enough, and with a pretty decent blade profile and steel to be very useful when needed.
Posted by: haertig

Re: A small knife gets used... - 11/07/18 03:05 PM

My EDC Spyderco Native is not what I'd call small, but it's not as large as the huge knives I see a few others carry. It's as large as I can carry comfortably and unnoticed. That's the name of the game for me in EDC carry - carry the largest you can without you really being able to notice you're carrying it. Be that knives, flashlights, firearms, cellphones, etc.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: A small knife gets used... - 11/07/18 05:01 PM

I have a few big knives, up to and including a machete, but those of 4 inch length or less are carried and used far more often, and can accomplish just about any task I use a knife to perform...

If I could have just one knife, it would be a Mora; a close second would be the DR PSK Mk 5 - small but completely functional