Survival tips

Posted by: Just

Survival tips - 04/01/18 04:17 AM

Hey guys,
Which is the best survival tip to you that have served you most out there?? Want to make a list of them. smile
Cheers!!
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Survival tips - 04/01/18 07:23 AM

Make a realistic risk assesment before you go. That allows to act accordingly.
It also lowers the risk to have to switch to actual survival mode.
At about the same level is aquiring and honing skills.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Survival tips - 04/01/18 01:35 PM

Experience and skills, especially first aid, are more important than equipment

Learn to improvise - think outside the box.

Lurking on another forum, I notice you are asking the same question there. Writing a book/?
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Survival tips - 04/01/18 03:51 PM

Recognize that your brain is the best survival tool in existence. Develop it, train it, think, observe, plan.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Survival tips - 04/02/18 02:46 AM

1. Make everything tactical!

2. If it's not MOLLE, throw it in the garbage.

3. Big Rambo knives only. Nothing shorter than 10 inches. Also, must be tactical.

4. Need to carry five guns and at least a thousand rounds of ammo (200 x 5 types). With anything less, you cannot respond effectively to a tactical situation.

5. Don't worry about food, water, and shelter, because you can just live off the land even if you've never hunted before.

6. The internet will provide you with all the training you need.

7. TEOTWAWKI is the only scenario worth preparing for. Forget earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados, power outage, train chemical spill, etc. That's for sissies.
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Survival tips - 04/02/18 03:44 AM

Bingley, you are spot on! You totally nailed it! You hit it out of the park!

Re: Survival tips - 04/02/18 04:07 AM

Only five guns??
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Survival tips - 04/02/18 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Just
Hey guys,
Which is the best survival tip to you that have served you most out there?

Okay, I'll play:

Rule #1: Make a concerted and conscious effort to avoid placing yourself in a survival situation.
Posted by: BruceZed

Re: Survival tips - 04/02/18 05:14 PM

STOP

Stop, Think, Orient and Plan
Posted by: Russ

Re: Survival tips - 04/02/18 06:11 PM

So many survival situations start with simply getting lost — stay found. Learn to use a map & compass, and if you have a GPS, use that with a map so your GPS back-up stays current. Don’t get lost.
Posted by: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Re: Survival tips - 04/02/18 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Lurking on another forum, I notice you are asking the same question there. Writing a book/?

Hi,

When is the last time you've seen a new user with an avatar picture? that is just text?

Spam is spam, and this is spam
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Survival tips - 04/03/18 12:28 AM

Only five guns??

I'm old school. Those are just the ones I'd tell you about.

Re: Survival tips - 04/03/18 01:37 AM

"One is none, twenty is barely adequate."

Re: Survival tips - 04/07/18 01:11 PM

Thank you all smile

Re: Survival tips - 04/07/18 01:14 PM

Experience and skills, especially first aid, are more important than equipment

Learn to improvise - think outside the box.

Thanks. Actually trying to gather some knowledge. Have an idea to combine them and spread it for anybody's help:)

Re: Survival tips - 04/07/18 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Bingley
1. Make everything tactical!

2. If it's not MOLLE, throw it in the garbage.

3. Big Rambo knives only. Nothing shorter than 10 inches. Also, must be tactical.

4. Need to carry five guns and at least a thousand rounds of ammo (200 x 5 types). With anything less, you cannot respond effectively to a tactical situation.

5. Don't worry about food, water, and shelter, because you can just live off the land even if you've never hunted before.

6. The internet will provide you with all the training you need.

7. TEOTWAWKI is the only scenario worth preparing for. Forget earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados, power outage, train chemical spill, etc. That's for sissies.

That's really helpful.

Re: Survival tips - 04/07/18 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
So many survival situations start with simply getting lost — stay found. Learn to use a map & compass, and if you have a GPS, use that with a map so your GPS back-up stays current. Don’t get lost.

Thanks Russ.

Re: Survival tips - 04/07/18 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Hi,

When is the last time you've seen a new user with an avatar picture? that is just text?

Spam is spam, and this is spam

it's not spam man. I'm trying to collect info for publishing smile
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Survival tips - 04/08/18 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Just
Hey guys,
Which is the best survival tip to you that have served you most out there?? Want to make a list of them. smile
Cheers!!

I think it interesting - and somewhat disconcerting that you are planning on writing a survival related book, yet you are seeking material from internet forums.

What is going to differentiate your book from the hundreds (if not thousands) already published and not mention the tens of thousands of survival tips, training related websites, Youtube and others?

Do you have a background in bushcraft, survival training, SAR, or Military E&E training or experience?

Maybe give more of a backstory of what your book is about, then you may get some better input.

Same applies to your "Camping is love" post.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Survival tips - 04/09/18 01:27 AM

In this day in age anyone's opinion has the same value, didn't you know that?
Posted by: brandtb

Re: Survival tips - 04/09/18 12:43 PM

In a wilderness area never step off a road or a marked trail unless you're ready to spend the night in the woods.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Survival tips - 04/09/18 08:25 PM

When we were kids and complained about having to wear our snowsuits in the car on winter road trips, my Dad always said "The best way to get warm is to stay warm."

My kids say that my favourite is "Cold and wet means sick. Cold, wet and windy is deadly."
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Survival tips - 04/09/18 08:31 PM

Many great tips indeed!
Posted by: WesleyH

Re: Survival tips - 04/10/18 12:15 AM

"I think it interesting - and somewhat disconcerting that you are planning on writing a survival related book, yet you are seeking material from internet forums."

PLEASE: No more new survival books unless you have something new and unique to add.

Every time I go to Barnes and Noble bookstore, I am finding new survival books that have flashy covers, and little to add. This is not to demean any given book or author. That said, most new authors add little or nothing new.

Todays rage seems to be "Survival hacks" or "secrets books." There are also a category of what I would call, "Eye Candy" as they are all clay stock, slick pictures of every detail.

Just my humble opinion.