How to survive a disaster. A very good BBC article

Posted by: Nomad

How to survive a disaster. A very good BBC article - 03/23/18 03:28 PM

Pretty much what we have been saying here for years. Well done article with good supporting background.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150128-how-to-survive-a-disaster

Nomad.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: How to survive a disaster. A very good BBC article - 03/23/18 04:28 PM

Agreed, good article with one major exception. What is this nonsense about group cooperation and support? anyone who checks the internet knows that the unwashed, ignorant non-prepper types will instantly riot, loot, and otherwise lose their minds at the first sign of trouble (a bit of sarcasm here, in case you haven't noticed).

The piece emphasizes that your mind is probably your most important asset in a disaster - just like it is in the other aspects of life...

Again, good find and required reading.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: How to survive a disaster. A very good BBC article - 03/23/18 08:22 PM

It is a good article.
Posted by: CJK

Re: How to survive a disaster. A very good BBC article - 03/24/18 10:26 PM

Very good article. I 'see' the point about non-preppers but I think the article was more in reference to an immediate group or 'survivors'....ie the stands just collapsed, the avalanche just happened....not the group after an event has ended like days after a hurricane when looters have been seen etc.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: How to survive a disaster. A very good BBC article - 03/25/18 12:36 AM

Yes, this article is not about prepping but about emergency situations, keeping your head in a disaster. However, prepping and at least thinking through such things will still put you ahead of where you would have been otherwise.
Posted by: EthanJames

Re: How to survive a disaster. A very good BBC article - 03/25/18 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Agreed, good article with one major exception. What is this nonsense about group cooperation and support? anyone who checks the internet knows that the unwashed, ignorant non-prepper types will instantly riot, loot, and otherwise lose their minds at the first sign of trouble (a bit of sarcasm here, in case you haven't noticed).

The piece emphasizes that your mind is probably your most important asset in a disaster - just like it is in the other aspects of life...

Again, good find and required reading.

Lol, you got me at first before I figure it out...

And yes, a good article