Utah snowmobiler lost for 4 days

Posted by: gonewiththewind

Utah snowmobiler lost for 4 days - 03/16/18 01:11 PM

Utah Snowmobiler Lost for 4 Days

He survived by not giving up. He had nothing except some fire starting material (in another article he discusses building a fire, and burning a hole in his boot) and was fairly well dressed for the conditions.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Utah snowmobiler lost for 4 days - 03/16/18 02:40 PM

Judging by how slow he traveled, getting only 2 miles between Friday and Sunday, he definitely should have stayed with the snowmobile. However, a snowmobile test run in those conditions without an overnight kit? I’m thinking maybe overconfidence; beer if it had been anywhere other than Utah.

Re: Utah snowmobiler lost for 4 days - 03/16/18 03:10 PM

The classic scenario used by Peter Kummerfeldt: "I am just...."

Kummerfeldt's book is no longer in print and getting harder to find. It has been a favorite of mine to give as a gift to people I thought needed it. Should we start a campaign to get it republished?
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Utah snowmobiler lost for 4 days - 03/16/18 08:14 PM

Snowshoes would have been nice to have....
Posted by: rafowell

Re: Utah snowmobiler lost for 4 days - 03/17/18 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Montanero
... Kummerfeldt's book is no longer in print and getting harder to find. It has been a favorite of mine to give as a gift to people I thought needed it. Should we start a campaign to get it republished?

If you are referring to: Kummerfeldt, Peter, "Surviving a wilderness emergency". Colorado Springs, Colorado: Outdoor Safe Press; 2006

it seems he is still selling copies from the last print run at his online shop: https://www.shop.outdoorsafe.com/Survivi...s-Emergency.htm
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Utah snowmobiler lost for 4 days - 03/17/18 02:15 AM

Wow! Will to live was vital but he got lucky as well.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Utah snowmobiler lost for 4 days - 03/17/18 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By: rafowell
If you are referring to: Kummerfeldt, Peter, "Surviving a wilderness emergency". Colorado Springs, Colorado: Outdoor Safe Press; 2006

it seems he is still selling copies from the last print run at his online shop: https://www.shop.outdoorsafe.com/Survivi...s-Emergency.htm

I haven't read this book. I've got a decent survival library -- before I drop $20 on this, what makes it worthwhile?

Re: Utah snowmobiler lost for 4 days - 03/17/18 01:23 PM

It is an excellent book, I think probably the best survival book. It is not just an encyclopedia of survival techniques, it walks through the prevention, preparation dealing with the actual situation. Out of all of the survival books I have and have read, it is the single best, in my humble opinion.

There are still copies available, but the prices is going up and they are getting a little bit harder to find on Amazon. I had not seen it on that web sight. Thanks.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Utah snowmobiler lost for 4 days - 03/17/18 03:48 PM

Here's a two-page Field and Stream article on Mr. Kummerfeldt. It gives you a good feel for his philosophy.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=znsWEc0...eter&f=true

Re: Utah snowmobiler lost for 4 days - 03/17/18 07:25 PM

Cody Lundin's book "98.6 Keep Your Ass Alive" is good, if a bit cartoonish and mirrors Kummerfeldt's book almost exactly as to priorities and techniques. Just marketed to a younger audience, I guess. They are both in complete agreement with the BSA's Wilderness Survival Merit Badge pamphlet. The only thing they disagree on is a preference in water purification chemicals.

I used to look at the web sight "outdoor safe" on a regular basis, but guess I lost the bookmark in multiple computer changes. I feel bad now not buying the book from there, it is even a better price.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Utah snowmobiler lost for 4 days - 03/18/18 05:49 PM

Thank you. I’ll order a copy. It’s hard for me with my old eyes to read paper books but I’ll make an exception here.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Utah snowmobiler lost for 4 days - 03/19/18 10:35 PM

This supports the idea of EDC - Stuff you always have. MY gear list for snow machines includes AT LEASt extra cold weather gear, spare gas, cell phone, flashlight, food/ water, basic tools( knife) and Likely a zero degree sleeping bag.
Posted by: WesleyH

Re: Utah snowmobiler lost for 4 days - 03/30/18 03:16 PM

I had to dig my copy of Kummerfeldt's book out to familiarize myself with it.

It is an excellent book, with a forward by Jim Zumbo. (an editor for Outdoor life magazine years ago, but famous for the firestorm with the '94 Assault Weapons Ban and his comments that "no one needed black rifles.

Overall, the book is well written and informative if not a bit on the dry side. I will say it has an extensive 6 page bibliography that contains many interesting entries.

Still, I checked the price on Amazon, where prices start at $21.21 and up for used copies. Kummerfeldt sells copies on his site for $19.95. Either way, it is well worth the investment!