Ridiculous carry - what have you seen?

Posted by: TeacherRO

Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? - 01/17/18 08:09 PM

What are some of the most ridiculous this you seen people carry for EDC, hiking or similar?
Posted by: Herman30

Re: Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? - 01/18/18 05:56 AM

Allredy excist a similar thread.

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=283668#Post283668
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? - 01/18/18 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Herman30

That thread is locked. Therefore, we need a new one.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Herman30

Re: Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? - 01/18/18 05:32 PM

Sorry, did not notice that.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? - 01/19/18 10:24 PM

The previous thread was locked due to gun politics.

I don't take kindly to people creating new threads to continue inappropriate conversations after a thread has been locked for that reason, but I certainly don't think that any of you are doing that or intending to do that.

Firearms discussion should be kept relevant to the thread title. Any firearms politics discussion and the thread will be locked.

chaosmagnet

Re: Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? - 03/06/18 10:44 PM

My all time winner is still a full sized, metal, industrial first aid kit about 10x20 " carried everyday in a backpack.

Re: Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? - 03/23/18 09:54 PM

..3 or more sharps...for a work at home job.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? - 03/23/18 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
..3 or more sharps...for a work at home job.
That’s just pocket carry wink
Posted by: CJK

Re: Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? - 03/24/18 10:28 PM

That’s just pocket carry wink [/quote]

Only 3 ?!?!
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? - 03/25/18 12:34 AM

in 1 pocket
Posted by: Russ

Re: Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? - 03/25/18 02:11 AM

wink Benchmade 710 or Ritter RSK Mk1 clipped to RH front pocket, SAK in RH thigh pocket, collapsible scissors in LH thigh pocket. Fixed blade knives and Leatherman multi-tools would usually be carried in a sheath on belt, but not at home.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? - 03/26/18 06:43 PM

What are some of the most ridiculous this you seen people carry for EDC, hiking or similar?

On a day hiking trail (Berg Lake, Mt Robson) I saw as I was going down the route, a couple of Japanese girls with packs that (I'm NOT exaggerating) were as big as they were, volume wise. One was struggling to put her pack back on and the other was assisting her. Somebody sold them the royal bill of goods for camping gear - I can't believe they brought them from Japan; they must have bought their gear locally - perhaps in Jasper.

Re: Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? - 03/27/18 06:35 PM

Guilty. I also used to hike in jeans...
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? - 03/28/18 04:26 AM

I was invited on an overnight hike in the Italian Alps. My hosts wore only swimsuits and sheepskin boots and carried only a gallon jug of Chianti.

We stayed in a refugio that provided blankets and hot food, so it worked out fine in the end.

Re: Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? - 04/06/18 09:34 PM

That's quite the visual...

Re: Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? - 07/18/18 07:02 PM

I knew guy once who carried two different phones on two different carriers. But he was governor, so it made some sense
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? - 07/20/18 12:38 AM

I knew guy once who carried two different phones on two different carriers. But he was governor, so it made some sense

In the early days of cellphones, my employer absolutely forbade personal calls on the phone they provided. They also forbade us from giving customers the number; customers had to call the office and use the automated voicemail system to page us. So I carried a pager, work cell and personal cell. My wife called it my “communications array.”

Re: Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? - 06/08/20 08:38 PM

Latest sighting, a huge edc/ghb bag. 20+ pounds.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? - 06/09/20 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

In the early days of cellphones, my employer absolutely forbade personal calls on the phone they provided. They also forbade us from giving customers the number; customers had to call the office and use the automated voicemail system to page us. So I carried a pager, work cell and personal cell. My wife called it my “communications array.”

Analog cell traffic was open to anybody who wanted to listen. And the rates were outrageous.

Two carriers is hardly a surprise anywhere. Most international cell phones have two slots, for two different SIM cards. One for the home number, one for cheap local calls. It's SOP.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? - 06/09/20 01:24 AM

Latest sighting, a huge edc/ghb bag. 20+ pounds.

20 lbs. is a pretty sweet ultralight backpacking weight. Lightweight costs real money. That pack may be worth more than your car.

I have schlepped a whole lot more when training for backpack trips, sometimes on city sidewalks. No doubt people thought I was insane, or homeless. But trust me, the mountain does not give a rat about fashion, and will school you if you are not ready.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? - 06/09/20 02:58 AM

It isn't unusual to carry a pack weighing in at 40 pounds or even a bit more. A lot depends on how much water you need.