People evacuating plane try to grab luggage

Posted by: AKSAR

People evacuating plane try to grab luggage - 01/07/18 05:17 AM

Flames and screams after two jetliners collide at Toronto airport

When will people get it through their heads that trying to grab your luggage when evacuating a burning plane is a really stupid idea?

Quote:
“Grab your jacket, guys,” a man said in the video.
But even then, several passengers reported that the aisles were blocked by people searching for their overhead bags.
“It was ridiculous,” Alagheband told CBC News. “I was literally yelling, ‘Get the F off the plane.’ ”
Everyone made it off. They slid out of the plane into subfreezing weather, onto an airfield that reeked of burned fumes.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: People evacuating plane try to grab luggage - 01/07/18 09:00 AM

Originally Posted By: AKSAR

When will people get it through their heads that trying to grab your luggage when evacuating a burning plane is a really stupid idea?

They probably wont. It is the way they are used to when exiting a plane. Some are bound to fall back to it when panic starts.
It might require mandatory passing of an evacuation trainig - maybe with recertification every few years - for flight passengers to change that (the reader may judge if that really can be done).
Alternatively they might recruit people like gunny Hartmann as flight attendands.
Posted by: Pete

Re: People evacuating plane try to grab luggage - 01/08/18 12:56 AM

The flight attendants should have barked out orders to evacuate ASAP - without hand luggage. Did they have bullhorns? Did they do this?

It's possible that the attendants were so busy with the opening of the doors, and the deployment of emergency slides, that they did not control the passengers.

That kind of behavior of passengers - delaying an emergency exit to reclaim luggage - could really get other passengers killed. It's not just stupid, it's recklessness elevated to the point of manslaughter (if someone does not escape in time). IMO.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: People evacuating plane try to grab luggage - 01/08/18 05:22 AM

I don't care for flying at the best of times. And if that flying gas can is on fire, I want out, RIGHT FREAKING NOW!! mad mad mad
Posted by: hikermor

Re: People evacuating plane try to grab luggage - 01/08/18 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I don't care for flying at the best of times. And if that flying gas can is on fire, I want out, RIGHT FREAKING NOW!! mad mad mad

Even at 33,000 feet? As a definite geezer, I can still remember when flying was fun, the planes were not crowded, the meals were free (and decent to excellent). Now I fly less and less, with all sorts ofconcerns (Did I forget to put all my sharps in checked luggage?). I drive more and more,since decent rail service is almost extinct. Yest, I can remember decent rail service....
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: People evacuating plane try to grab luggage - 01/08/18 03:12 PM

I'm flying more now than ever before in my life. My employer has a generous expense policy, and I get free upgrades on a major airline. I also have TSA PreCheck and almost total control over my itinerary whenever I travel.

It still stinks on ice. I drive whenever I can. I have a 1000 mile trip next week (each way) and if I could get away with it I'd take the extra days on each end to drive.
Posted by: Russ

Re: People evacuating plane try to grab luggage - 01/08/18 05:32 PM

I don’t fly on my dime ever. When I need to travel cross-country or up the coast from SOCAL to NW Washington, I drive. I take my time enjoy the view - back roads if I’m not pressed for time.