Scrubs

Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Scrubs - 10/25/17 11:52 PM

For a few years, I had concerns I may need to leave the hose in the middle of the night with no time to get dressed or unable to grab some clothes. Therefore, in the event of an emergency, I may be away from home in my pajamas. I need to look more presentable in emergency situations.

Not only do scrubs look presentable; they are also suitable for sleepwear. Today I found one pair my size and tonight I will try them out. If the scrubs work out, this may be an idea I could recommend for middle-of-the-night emergencies. Hop out of bed, put your shoes on and be ready to exit the house just like that.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Russ

Re: Scrubs - 10/26/17 02:51 AM

Yep, available on Amazon in a wide range of colors. I was considering them for another purpose, but sleepwear also works. Maybe I will get a set.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Scrubs - 10/27/17 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I need to look more presentable in emergency situations.

If you're talking a house evacuation where you're not hurt or in need of emergency medical care, scrubs might work. They don't stretch at all though, and I personally wouldn't find them comfortable to sleep in for that reason. But what happens if you're in the shower when your house catches on fire?

But if you're worried about it, why don't you just put together a "scramble bag". Put in a full set of clothes and shoes, towel, hair brush, toothbrush, and whatever else you think you might want to be presentable, or to live in a neighbor's house for a day. So you could run out of the house naked if need be, then find a tree to hide behind to get dressed. Just keep the bag stored next to the front door or in some central location that you'd have to pass by on your way out. These kind of bags are quite common - I can't tell you how many of these I picked up for pregnant ladies going into labor when they called me to respond with the ambulance. Not talking about a full-on Bug Out Bag, just enough stuff so you could make it to the store to buy more as needed.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Scrubs - 10/27/17 01:08 PM

I need to update my Emergency Pants kit. Thanks for the reminder.

Re: Scrubs - 10/27/17 02:10 PM

As an FYI -- Carhartt markets Ripstop Multi-cargo Scrub Pants
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Scrubs - 10/27/17 04:19 PM

...and keep a spare outfit in the car. ( including shoes)
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Scrubs - 10/27/17 08:21 PM

What kind of emergency are you preparing for? Maybe I'm a guy and thus less concerned with modesty, but if I had to run for my life (earthquake, fire, etc), I wouldn't be too worried about how I look. I'd just make sure to grab my keys and wallet so I can get to my car (if my car is still around). I'll use the kit there. In other words, for me scrubs offer no advantage to how I normally wear to sleep. They are also specialized clothing, so it's not like I'd wear them. What am I missing?

Re: Scrubs - 10/27/17 08:34 PM

I’m coming to the same conclusion. Scrubs as you say are something of a uniform for folks in the medical field (doctors, nurses, et al) and I wouldn’t want to be mistaken. An overnight bag with extra clothes that I already have is an easy thing to throw in the truck. Good idea.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Scrubs - 10/27/17 10:16 PM

If it were me, I would just go to the big blue store and buy some of their inexpensive sweats. They cost about $14 combined for a top and bottom. They come in various colors. Cost efficient. They make you presentable because you aren't in your birthday suit. Uncomplicated. Easy-peasy.

Re: Scrubs - 10/27/17 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Bingley
What kind of emergency are you preparing for?

Any reason for leaving the house in the middle of the night including but not limited to medical emergency, someone needing help or a disaster that renders your residence unlivable.

Maybe I'm a guy and thus less concerned with modesty, but if I had to run for my life (earthquake, fire, etc), I wouldn't be too worried about how I look. I'd just make sure to grab my keys and wallet so I can get to my car (if my car is still around). I'll use the kit there. In other words, for me scrubs offer no advantage to how I normally wear to sleep. They are also specialized clothing, so it's not like I'd wear them. What am I missing?

Scrubs are as comfortable as pajamas but, unlike pajamas, scrubs are socially acceptable to wear in public.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Re: Scrubs - 10/28/17 01:37 AM

Hi wink

What am I missing?

Scrubs are as comfortable as pajamas but, unlike pajamas, scrubs are socially acceptable to wear in public.

Jeanette Isabelle

Huh?
Pajamas are not socially acceptable to wear in public?
Also, whats a pajama? How is it different from scrubs?

Re: Scrubs - 10/28/17 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Pajamas are a type of sleepwear consisting of a top and bottom. Scrubs are comfortable and loose-fitting clothing, typically worn by medical professionals in a medical setting. Scrubs also include a top and bottom.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Re: Scrubs - 10/28/17 01:58 AM

Pajamas are a type of sleepwear consisting of a top and bottom. Scrubs are comfortable and loose-fitting clothing, typically worn by medical professionals in a medical setting. Scrubs also include a top and bottom.

Jeanette Isabelle

smile

So pajamas are not comfortable and loose-fitting clothing?

I always thought doctors and nurses wore pajamas,

I don't understand how "scrubs" are different or how one is acceptable and the other isn't.

Re: Scrubs - 10/28/17 02:14 AM

I figure I can just run out of the house naked. People would be falling all over themselves scrambling to get me covered up and out of sight. With all that donated clothing I probably wouldn't ever have to buy any again.

Re: Scrubs - 10/28/17 02:17 AM

So pajamas are not comfortable and loose-fitting clothing?

I always thought doctors and nurses wore pajamas,

I don't understand how "scrubs" are different or how one is acceptable and the other isn't.

Pajamas are comfortable and loose-fitting, hence their use as sleepwear.

Scrubs and pajamas look very similar. However, it is socially acceptable to wear scrubs in public but not pajamas.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Scrubs - 10/28/17 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: haertig
I figure I can just run out of the house naked. People would be falling all over themselves scrambling to get me covered up and out of sight. With all that donated clothing I probably wouldn't ever have to buy any again.

You are not at all concerned about indecent exposure?

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Scrubs - 10/28/17 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: haertig

Jeanette Isabelle

If the emergency was so sudden and so severe that I didn't even have time to slip on my pants...then no, I would be not at all be concerned about indecent exposure.

Although in Alaska at this time of the year I might be concerned about exposure to the elements! smile

Re: Scrubs - 10/28/17 02:51 AM

I was joking, of course.

However, if the urgency of the situation demanded it, I would have no issues streaking out of my house and standing in my cul-de-sac buck naked.

Re: Scrubs - 10/28/17 07:37 AM

I don't know whether there is a law protecting naked victims in emergencies/disasters, but even if there isn't, I'm pretty confident that no neighbors or policemen will press charges against someone running for his/her life. However, your just might go viral.

Of course, I don't live in Alaska, where it's a lot colder and, well, under such conditions if a guy runs out buck naked, he may give people a certain wrong impression like George Costanza.

There are lots of comfortable stuff you can wear to bed that would look OK in an emergency. Don't let us stop you.
Posted by: adam2

Re: Scrubs - 10/28/17 11:56 AM

Here in the UK there are laws against public indecency, but these are enforced with common sense. I have never heard of anyone fleeing a fire or other emergency being charged with indecency if naked.
Prosecutions for indecency are usually against drunken youths who strip in public for a dare or as a protest.

Almost no one in the UK admits to wearing pyjamas, very last century you know ! Yet millions of the garments are sold and someone must wear them.

I would consider pajamas or scrubs to suitable for nightwear, and either may be worn outside of the home in an emergency, even if not socially acceptable normally.

If however one is keeping clothing to hand for quick donning in an emergency, rather than for regular night time wear, then I would suggest that stretch garments are easier to put on in a hurry. Sweatshirt and sweatpants, or cotton jersey pajamas. Preferably garments with no obvious front or back, in order that they may be worn either way round without looking daft.
Posted by: Ren

Re: Scrubs - 10/28/17 04:17 PM

In the UK, we had the whole pyjama gate, apparently some dimwit customer thought it was such an issue, he took a photo of a few people shopping in nightwear, and created a fuss on facebook.

There are individual stores that have bans on wearing nightwear, in case it "offended other customers". Basically someone must have put in a complaint, and the store folded.

Re: Scrubs - 10/28/17 05:20 PM

Well, TLC says they don't want no scrub, cuz a scrub can get no love from them.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrLequ6dUdM[/video]
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Scrubs - 10/28/17 07:44 PM

Late to this thread, but I can't resist chiming in... My answer to what wear in an "emergency house exit in the middle of the night" - normal clothes!

I have two pairs of pants in very light weight synthetic fabric which are very comfortable in bed. Each has normal pockets and cargo pockets. I usually sleep with my key ring in the right pocket (I am a left side sleeper). If I must get up and get out, I already have on my person a small multitool (PS4), a flashlight, car and house keys and a couple of other items. In colder weather, I also like to wear a fleece jacket to bed. Mine have zip pockets and can hold the key ring, etc. I keep a pair of Crocs at my bedside to slip into when I get out of the sack.

If I must leave the house, I am basically normally clothed and somewhat equipped. I will be even more so, when I reach my car, parked in the driveway. Someday I may be able to report how well this rig works in the event of a nocturnal earthquake.....
Posted by: jshannon

Re: Scrubs - 10/29/17 12:28 PM

Scrubs are a good idea since they are more packable than almost any other clothing. Female pajamas might be sorta sheer and of a gown type. In that case, scrubs make sense.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Scrubs - 10/29/17 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Late to this thread, but I can't resist chiming in... My answer to what wear in an "emergency house exit in the middle of the night" - normal clothes!

I agree. Way too much over thinking with scrubs as your get out of the house clothing wear.

Keep a good set of clothes next to your bed or by the door and grab them on the way out. Simple, easy and in the end, everyday clothes are much more durable, warmer and versatile then scrubs will ever be.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Scrubs - 10/29/17 09:16 PM

You're overthinking it. Sleep in regular pajamas, keep a pair of shoes next to your bed, and pack a change of clothes in your go bag. If you're not one of a hundred people wandering around in their sleepware, you can use a neighbour's house to get dressed. If you are, just duck behind a car. Modesty standards are probably going to be a bit relaxed.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Scrubs - 10/30/17 04:00 AM

I can't sleep at all in clothes, and it just seems strange that anyone can. It's not at all difficult to have something draped over a chair near the bed so I'm not worried about being forced naked out of my home.

Re: Scrubs - 10/30/17 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
It's not at all difficult to have something draped over a chair near the bed...

Usually I have so much draped over the chair that nobody would know there's a chair under there.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Scrubs - 10/31/17 03:15 AM

I would think scrubs would attract unwanted attention.as in "look a RN lets run over and have her help"