Sad Ending for lost Joshua Tree hikers

Posted by: hikermor

Sad Ending for lost Joshua Tree hikers - 10/22/17 06:37 PM

http://www.vcstar.com/story/news/local/2...-say/784757001/

Apparently he shot her as she was suffering from head injuries incurred while hiking and then killed himself as he embraced her.

Not exactly Romeo and Juliet, but infinitely sad and tragic. Perhaps the first and most fundamental slip was the decision to hike at all in Joshua Tree in hot summer conditions. I have to ponder how many items would have been of more use than a firearm in their situation - FAK? equivalent weight in water? a good map?

The desert in summer if extremely formidable - not to be taken lightly. Much more pleasant during the cooler months.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Sad Ending for lost Joshua Tree hikers - 10/22/17 07:49 PM

I found the story to be heartbreaking. Maybe more details will come out, maybe we already know all we'll ever know. There does seem to be the implication that they were doomed and decided to commit suicide- it doesn't seem right now to be a murder/suicide in the conventional sense. And while I do carry a gun you're right, in that situation a PLB and an extra couple bottles of water would have been more useful.
Posted by: Pete

Re: Sad Ending for lost Joshua Tree hikers - 10/23/17 10:14 PM

very sad.

I was a "local" at Joshua Tree for well over a decade. I know it well. But 'nobody' goes there in summer. It is insanely hot. Perhaps the young woman in this tragedy had a head injury - but very likely the severe heat was a contributor. People get delirious when they become dehydrated. The whole thing is just a tragic loss of 2 lives.

We never went to J. Tree in the summer, and never earlier than Sep-Oct. Peak time for users is Nov-April. It is sad that these young people did not have the opportunity of advice from the experienced climbers and hikers.

Practically ... I am not sure why the young man did not climb a rock and fire his gun into the air several times. It might have alerted rangers, and started a rescue. But I don't want to second-guess. Heat-stress injuries are a bad experience ... I have been there.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Sad Ending for lost Joshua Tree hikers - 10/25/17 04:56 PM

Five mile loop trail. Walk either way and you are out.
East/Intermediate.

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7031480/the-maze-loop-trail

Murder.