electronic maps

Posted by: TeacherRO

electronic maps - 10/19/17 08:46 PM

free to $30 a year maps for computers, etc

From Cool Tools site
Posted by: Famdoc

Re: electronic maps - 10/20/17 01:48 AM

Dang, I was just about to submit that. Gaia works well, does need more memory than my IPhone 5 has. I'm
about to upgrade to solve that problem
Cool tools is a regular visit for me.
Posted by: Burncycle

Re: electronic maps - 10/27/17 06:05 AM

Nice. Would be neat to see a rugged "e-ink" type map since they take up such little power. Maybe a solar charger on the back.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: electronic maps - 10/29/17 09:43 PM

There are map apps specifically for Kindle Paperwhite
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: electronic maps - 04/26/18 10:39 PM

I'm hearing good thinks about the Gia app for phones ( monthly subscription)
Posted by: KenK

Re: electronic maps - 04/28/18 01:35 PM

Given that I worry about my smartphone battery lasting more than 8-10 hours, I simply cannot imagine counting on it for urgent needs, such as maps. Treated/waterproof maps and decent compasses last a lifetime. My Garmin trail GPS will last so much longer than a phone, especially if used wisely (turn on, use it, then turn off), and I can carry extra batteries, if needed.

To be honest, I see folks watching movies during international plane flights and I wonder why I struggle with my smartphone.

I look forward to the day when electronic devices last weeks, and they can be dropped without worry, but that day is simply not here yet. At least I think it's not.
Posted by: bsmith

Re: electronic maps - 04/28/18 02:30 PM

i have both a garmin wrist gps and the gaia app for my iphone. each has their own advantages / disadvantages.

i've found that with gaia if i initiate the app, find my location, then go into 'airplane' mode, the battery drain is much slower. it only uses the internal gps.

i am using gaia to assist in surveying trails damaged by the Thomas Fire. it was especially helpful when the trail was completely obliterated by mud / debris flows.
Posted by: Herman30

Re: electronic maps - 04/29/18 10:22 AM

Originally Posted By: KenK
I look forward to the day when electronic devices last weeks, and they can be dropped without worry, but that day is simply not here yet.

Wrong, those days was a decade or two ago but are no longer.