Delorme inReach Lock Failure

Posted by: jshannon

Delorme inReach Lock Failure - 10/16/17 04:36 PM

Forgive me if this has been mentioned. I could not find it in a search. There are reports of lock failure of some inReach units leading to at least one SAR response.

Early Report
http://packrafting.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5732

Roman Dial site
https://packrafting.blogspot.com/2017/09/inreach-fail.html

Garmin Response
https://andrewskurka.com/2017/garmin-responds-faulty-sos-lock-button-inreach-se-explorer/
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Delorme inReach Lock Failure - 10/16/17 05:38 PM

Thanks for posting that!
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Delorme inReach Lock Failure - 10/16/17 07:19 PM

Yes, thanks. I carry an inReach on a regular basis. I have had no unintentional emergency calls, but I will be more careful in how I carry mine.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Delorme inReach Lock Failure - 10/17/17 02:03 AM

Now I am absolutely sure that I will not purchase this device.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Delorme inReach Lock Failure - 10/17/17 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

Agreed. Perhaps the money that would have been spent on such a device could be better utilized in other emergency items?

Re: Delorme inReach Lock Failure - 10/17/17 04:46 PM

If all you are looking for is an emergency beacon (read PLB), then the inReach is not a good option. The inReach allows for 2 way communication which is not based on a cell network. It also allows for near real time tracking of the person. In addition it has a PLB function. As has been stated numerous times in the past, many rescue personnel would rather you have a 2 way communication capability than just a PLB. I think that with some care in how it is carried or packed, there is little to worry about. I have been carrying the newer version of the inReach (the Explorer) for several years with no mishap. The tracking and 2 way comms are near priceless when needed, and no cell phone can be counted on to work in as many areas as the inReach.

If you are venturing beyond cell phone coverage, and need a communications capability, the inReach works. Now we know that it may require a bit more care in how you pack or carry it. That information is helpful.
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Delorme inReach Lock Failure - 10/17/17 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

Note that this references the 2 generations older devices. The current inReach made by Garmin is a significantly different device and does not have this issue.

Having some means of signaling distress is, IMHO, essential. If I were king, I would make them mandatory if beyond cell phone range. If I were king, I would change a lot of things. :=)

What device you choose depends on your needs. The most basic is a PLB. It summons rescue, but that's all it does. Devices such as SPOT and inReach and a Sat Phone cost more and do more, which may or may not be of value to any particular person.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Delorme inReach Lock Failure - 10/17/17 05:20 PM

As I understand the issue was with the DeLorme InReach and the current model is the Garmin InReach SE & Explorer — significant changes.

Re: Delorme inReach Lock Failure - 10/17/17 06:00 PM

I carried the old, original inReach for a while as well. I never had any problems. They were networked, so I could track all of them from mine. It was a nice feature.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Delorme inReach Lock Failure - 10/17/17 07:22 PM

I must say I am not impressed by the manufacturer's response cited by the OP. I was venturing into the wild well before PLBs came about, and so far I have cheated death -usually by preparing carefully and exercising good (well, good enough, anyway) judgment and making sure my skills were up to the challenge.

I wonder how many people acquire a PLB as a panacea, thinking that when they get into a tight, they will just mash on the button and the Ready Red Hot Rescue Ranger will appear in a flash? Lots of people are far more rational and there are circumstances where I would certainly advocate a PLB, but basic skills are just as essential as ever...

Re: Delorme inReach Lock Failure - 10/17/17 08:19 PM

Basic skills are more essential than ever, exactly because too many people are relying on technologies and other people. Knowledge and skills are the most essential things in your survival kit.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Delorme inReach Lock Failure - 10/17/17 09:14 PM

My introduction into a survival mindset came during my initial days of flight training. Survival swimming, various dunkers and being pushed off of a boat so that we could be picked up by a helicopter — in other words, having fun. Yeah, it was fun, I was in excellent physical condition and the water was warm.

In the age of GPS & personal locator beacons, survival training is still relevant because you still need to actually survive and keep your body warm & hydrated with your heart still beating until the rescue ranger (or Coast Guard helo) arrives. Technology may take the search out of SAR, but survival is more than just pushing a button and being rescued. This form of instant gratification is pushing a button and then waiting and waiting and... during that waiting part you need to continue breathing, staying warm & hydrated and otherwise not dying — instantaneous is hours to days. But we digress...

It appears that Garmin is dealing with a Delorme inReach design issue that was fixed with the Garmin model of that system. It seems the issue is already fixed.

$.02, FWIW