emergecy gear tips from Japan

Posted by: CANOEDOGS

emergecy gear tips from Japan - 08/04/17 05:01 PM

there is a Facebook site from the NHK,Japans national TV station,with ways to make gear from odds and ends.with the natural disasters that hit Japan like earthquakes people may need to cobble up some sort of item to get them home or to a shelter.the instructions are detailed so rather than just wrapping newspaper around your foot in any old way they show the proper way to make folds that really make a shoe.
one of the really odd ones is filling plastic water bottles with warm water and putting them under a tee shirt with the caps off.then screwing the caps on thru the tee shirt to hold them in place.other stuff is used to keep the bottles against your body.a easy idea is using plastic bags in a backpack to carry water.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: emergecy gear tips from Japan - 08/04/17 06:13 PM

...another good reason to get a backpack
Posted by: hikermor

Re: emergecy gear tips from Japan - 08/04/17 07:09 PM

Do you have a link? I was unable to find.....
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: emergecy gear tips from Japan - 08/05/17 04:39 AM

https://www.facebook.com/nhkworld/videos/vb.461895657190529/1735274556519293/?type=2&theater
this is one for pop can cooking.from here you can search the site for more
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: emergecy gear tips from Japan - 08/05/17 03:45 PM

Some nice ideas. They are intended for short term and emergency shelter use, but some are just good ideas, some are common knowledge around here.

The food posts were making me hungry though.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: emergecy gear tips from Japan - 08/05/17 08:09 PM

Interesting to see the manifold uses for plastic bags, which, indeed, are versatile, useful items. I keep a good store around the house and I usually have a few tucked in my pack when out venturing...
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: emergecy gear tips from Japan - 08/05/17 08:12 PM

I have gone through and seen all of these videos I can find, and they do have some very good and interesting ideas for repurposing things we would normally throw away. I do like the plastic shopping bag as a sling for an arm injury.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: emergecy gear tips from Japan - 08/08/17 12:00 PM

Great find, Canoedogs! Thanks for sharing!