When the Brimstone Hits the Fan

Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

When the Brimstone Hits the Fan - 07/23/17 01:30 PM

One problem I forsee in a brimstone hits the fan situation is how do we stay in contact with each other. When the brimstone hits the fan, one thing we will need is to remain in contact with others who are equipped to survive.

All of us should already be prepared; things that will help is knowing each other is alright and, even if we have the right tools or supplies, there could be a situation we don't know how to handle. But someone else in this community does.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: When the Brimstone Hits the Fan - 07/23/17 04:00 PM

Have you considered amateur radio? A formal communication plan is a great idea no matter what technologies (or lack of them) you use.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: When the Brimstone Hits the Fan - 07/23/17 04:06 PM

my suggestion would be to become involved with amateur radio... VHF is line of sight, so without operational repeaters you are somewhat limited, but elevation is your friend... HF gets you "F" layer skip, especially with CW Morse, but most people don't want to learn code and do the technician license... CB is limited range, but works if you are within a couple of miles if mobile, and about 10 miles if you have a good 1/2 wave vertical on a 30'mast... SSB helps... directional beam antennas can improve your reception

radio supported by a solar charging battery bank, or small inverter generator

JI... what distance do you perceive a need to communicate over?

Re: When the Brimstone Hits the Fan - 07/23/17 04:33 PM

I was afraid amateur radio would be the only option.

As for distance, how spread out is the Equipped To Survive community?

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: bws48

Re: When the Brimstone Hits the Fan - 07/23/17 04:38 PM

HF radio in its various forms would be great, but other than putting out a brief shout for help and a location, or a "I'm OK" I'm not sure I see much value in just staying in touch. Especially since the few HF transmitters I am familiar with soak up a lot of what, in this scenario, would be little or non-existent electrical power.

But I do see a huge value in having a decent HF (Shortwave) receiver. Invaluable in getting news and information from all over, and would would help you to understand the situation.

Note: I still have and cherish my 1970 vintage portable Zenith Trans-Oceanic multi-band shortwave receiver. Will operate on (multiple) D-cells or 110 volt AC.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: When the Brimstone Hits the Fan - 07/23/17 05:05 PM

Amateur radio can reach worldwide under the right conditions and with the right antenna.

Low-power amateur radio, especially using PSK31 (used to send text, not voice or morse code), has become quite popular. Expect to get good regional coverage at 5W output, and worldwide coverage at 30W.

This is a complex subject and while I've been a licensed ham for a long time I've never worked PSK31.

Re: When the Brimstone Hits the Fan - 07/23/17 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: bws48
HF radio in its various forms would be great, but other than putting out a brief shout for help and a location, or a "I'm OK" I'm not sure I see much value in just staying in touch.

I have been a member of this community ever since I was twenty. I matured from being gadget centered to being more well-rounded. In the nearly eleven years we developed a bond.

Years ago when a tornado headed east on Interstate 20, members wanted to know I was okay. When the brimstone hits the fan, everyone will want to know how everyone else is doing.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: wildman800

Re: When the Brimstone Hits the Fan - 07/23/17 05:53 PM

After the initial contact has been established, a scheduled communications plan to exchange info every 6 hrs would be a smart move.

This would save power and keep your group and other groups updated on weather conditions at each transmitting location, any observed movements by unknown groups, any critical medical issues occurring (disease or illness) that a group is experiencing, any supply shortages each group is looking to fill (bartering), etc.

This would have all groups better informed of their surroundings and the various pertinent situations of like minded neighbors.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: When the Brimstone Hits the Fan - 07/23/17 06:20 PM

There are transceiver concepts for low power consumption. Some like the Rockmite or the Pixie even fit in an Altoids can. Both can operate on 12V and the battery can be charged via solar panel or Savonius generator.
With my Rockmite I was able to easily pick up transmitters located in China claiming to use 50W of power.
The only drawback is that the Rockmite and the Pixie are CW only tranceivers.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: When the Brimstone Hits the Fan - 07/23/17 06:30 PM

There may be other options but amateur radio may be one of your best bets. There are frequencies for disaster communication. Many amateurs might give a helping hand. They also have the training and equipment to do so.
As for distance: My location is basically in the middle of Germany. I hold a class A license and a trainerīs license as amateur radio operator.
IIRC there are a couple of community members located in Europe (UK, Netherlands and maybe Spain)
Posted by: Pete

Re: When the Brimstone Hits the Fan - 07/23/17 09:36 PM

Jeanette

i also agree that someone in Amateur Radio would be a good friend to have.

We enjoy your posts. But i dont think that you should count on anyone here being a contact, if things really do go wrong. Later, when people are in recovery mode, ETS can link up again.

Your best support is local. Get good working relationships going with ... 1. People who grow vege's and raise livestock, 2. Someone who fixes cars, 3. A nurse or a paramedic, 4. Someone who works with tools or in construction, 5. A dentist, 6. An ex-soldier who has some rifles and handguns.

Those types of things will save you.

Good luck!!

Re: When the Brimstone Hits the Fan - 07/23/17 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Pete
We enjoy your posts. But i dont think that you should count on anyone here being a contact, if things really do go wrong. Later, when people are in recovery mode, ETS can link up again.

I came to that conclusion soon after the only solution was presented. Do a head count after the lights are back on.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: hikermor

Re: When the Brimstone Hits the Fan - 07/24/17 05:31 PM

Hopefully when each of us is dealing with a disastrous situation, the info imparted by ETS will come in handy as we survive. When dealing with the consequences of an earthquake, fire, hurricane, or other problem, there is no time, and probably not the ability, to confer with ETSers.