Doug's Guide to Using a Tarp

Posted by: MontanaSteve

Doug's Guide to Using a Tarp - 06/02/17 03:58 PM

Based on Doug's recommendation, I purchased an Oware tarp. I notice that in the Aviation survival kit, there's this item:

DR Special Instructions For Use of Tarp - waterproof

Is it possible to get a copy of that so I best know how to use my tarp?

Thanks!
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Doug's Guide to Using a Tarp - 06/03/17 11:40 PM

Here is more tarp info than most want to know.

http://www.equipped.org/tarp-shelters.htm

Re: Doug's Guide to Using a Tarp - 06/12/17 12:20 AM

Thank you - I already have that one.

The description - DR Special Instructions for use of Tarp -Waterproof -- makes it sound like something different.

Any other input?

TY
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Doug's Guide to Using a Tarp - 06/12/17 01:32 AM

I had a look at the Oware site, and some online reviews. Looks like you have a great tarp. I can't believe how light these sil-nylon tarps are -- wish those were available in my backpacking days.

I don't believe there's anything unusual or extra-special about this tarp, though. Tarps have been standard gear for ages, and always require a little creativity when setting up. But the weight and flexibility advantages more than make up for that. The advice you will get from any solid backpacking source will serve you well.

Nice hands-on review here, based on long term use: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/...Gail%20Staisil/
Posted by: KenK

Re: Doug's Guide to Using a Tarp - 06/12/17 02:46 PM

Personally, the worst night of my life was as a teen during a Boy Scout Order of the Arrow event. I was in the woods with just a sleeping bag during a hot summer night. The mosquitoes were HORRIBLE, and it was hot outside that night to make it even more miserable. I had to stay awake all night poking my face outside to breath while sweating like a pig in my sleeping bag.

My gear uses large orange plastic bags for emergency shelter - shooting for short term stay-in-place survival, but for anything more its got to have some kind of netting. That night is etched in my mind.

My daytime mutli-use tarp is Cooke Custom Sewing Tundra Tarp.

Ken

Re: Doug's Guide to Using a Tarp - 06/13/17 08:17 PM

Thanks for sharing that!

Re: Doug's Guide to Using a Tarp - 06/13/17 08:17 PM

Thank you!