No more tweets from National Park Service

Posted by: Bingley

No more tweets from National Park Service - 01/21/17 12:29 PM

In case anyone relies on Twitter to get information from NPS about road conditions, weather, etc., be aware that NPS has been banned temporarily from tweeting.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: No more tweets from National Park Service - 01/21/17 01:57 PM

How interesting! Source?
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: No more tweets from National Park Service - 01/21/17 02:37 PM

Google it. The reasons for the ban political. smirk
Posted by: Bingley

Re: No more tweets from National Park Service - 01/21/17 02:37 PM

There are a number of news reports. This one seems the most thorough:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powe...guration-crowd/

Guys, please remember the guidelines of this forum. This is not a place for political discussions.
Posted by: Russ

Re: No more tweets from National Park Service - 01/21/17 02:47 PM

Here's another from Newsmax
No further comment.

Re: No more tweets from National Park Service - 01/21/17 03:45 PM

Thanks. This is a good time to be retired.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: No more tweets from National Park Service - 01/23/17 11:11 PM

Didn't sound like critical political stuff, just facts, but did not seem to be in the scope of the NPS web site.

More like NPS employees using work time or equipment for non-work activities.

This is why we can't have nice things (weather reports, road conditions etc.)
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: No more tweets from National Park Service - 01/24/17 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: clearwater
Didn't sound like critical political stuff, just facts, but did not seem to be in the scope of the NPS web site.

More like NPS employees using work time or equipment for non-work activities.

This is why we can't have nice things (weather reports, road conditions etc.)

NPS retweeted stuff that wasn't entirely within their purview. A comparison between inaugural crowd sizes, and a notice that part of the Whitehouse website dealing with civil rights, climate change and health care was absent.

EDIT: The "issues" part of website is where the civil rights, etc. was missing. It appears that the "issues" is per the current administration, and there is no relation to the previous administration's priorities.
Posted by: Russ

Re: No more tweets from National Park Service - 01/24/17 01:22 AM

Yeah, whatever. I don't tweet or subscribe to read tweets so it's totally a non-issue.

Re: No more tweets from National Park Service - 01/26/17 02:07 PM

http://www.vcstar.com/story/news/2017/01/26/parks-staffers-tweets-targeting-trump/97076382/

Reading this article, the tweeting ability of the NPS was restored, but they may again be in hot water...Naughty Rangers! Bad! Bad!
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: No more tweets from National Park Service - 01/26/17 09:36 PM

The new I've been reading is that the NPS, EPA, and NASA personnel (probably) have opened up rogue, private, twitter accounts. They're continuing to publish what would have appeared on the official twitter accounts had they not been shutdown alongside tweets critical of the current administration.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: No more tweets from National Park Service - 01/27/17 01:39 PM

I must admit, I'm quite enjoying watching this Twitter revolt. Politics aside, it's pretty entertaining. Good on them!
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: No more tweets from National Park Service - 01/27/17 03:34 PM

Basically thatīs excercising the right to free speech. As long as they do it in their off duty time and do not pretend that they represent the opinion of the agencies it should be Ok to a wide margin.
Anyway itīs good that the official site is available again to aquire helpful information to avoid getting into survival situations.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: No more tweets from National Park Service - 01/27/17 03:51 PM

If I were to tweet something negative about my employer, I shouldn't be surprised to face employment-related consequences. This is even more true if I were using an account belonging to my employer.

However, I work in private industry. Employees of government agencies should, in my opinion, be protected against employment consequences for political speech outside of work.

Re: No more tweets from National Park Service - 01/27/17 04:40 PM

Nobody is being fired yet, or even disciplined, at least overtly. But the handwriting is on the wall -certain topics, like climate change, should be handled with great care. This is an interesting time to be speaking to the public if you are working for the NPS.

I hope no one is depending upon NPS tweets to avoid survival sitautions.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: No more tweets from National Park Service - 01/29/17 08:57 PM

there are several "unauthorized" accounts...