David Alloway passing

Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

David Alloway passing - 03/22/03 05:33 PM

David Alloway, author and instructor of desert survival has passed away. I learned of this secondhand in a brief telephone conversation. While focused on Texas, David's books were a great primer for desert savvy.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: David Alloway passing - 03/22/03 06:29 PM

A sadness I've enjoyed his writing.
Tom

Re: David Alloway passing - 03/23/03 04:52 AM

Chris,
Are you sure about this I received a e-mail from him just a short time ago. I hope you misunderstood. David Dalloway is a great guy, Ron & Karen Hood are going to be very upset..That is terrible news. I was planning to go on one of his famous Australian outback trips next year. This is terrible.

MCSE

Re: David Alloway passing - 03/23/03 05:13 PM

the Alpine,Texas obituary page:
Alloway

David Alloway, 45, passed away suddenly on March 11 at the Medical Center Hospital in Odessa.

David was a graduate of Eastwood High School in El Paso and Sul Ross University. He was an member of St. James Episcopal Church in Alpine.

David had been a working cowboy, professional guide, a naturalist for the Big Bend State Ranch and was the owner of David Alloway's Skills of Survival school. David was a world renowned desert survival expert. He was the first non-Australian to complete "The Walk," a 200-kilometer survival trek through the Pilbara Desert of Western Australia. He was the subject of numerous film documentaries, TV shows and magazine and newspaper articles. He was also a published author with many magazine articles, and one book, Desert Survival Skills, to his credit.

David's zest for life was well-known by his many friends. He touched the hearts of those both near and far.

David is survived by his father, Dale Alloway; his brothers and sisters-in-law, Dan and April Alloway and Stephen and Gloria Alloway; and his two beloved sons, Ian and Sean.

Graveside services were held March 17 at Evergreen East Cemetery, 12400 Montana Ave. Directed by Hillcrest Funeral Home-Carolina, 1060 Carolina Dr. 598-3332.

<a href="herehttp://www.alpineavalanche.com/display/inn_news/Obituaries/obit01.txt's" target="_blank">herehttp://www.alpineavalanche.com/display/inn_news/Obituaries/obit01.txt's</a> the link if you want it