Man rescues skier dangling dangerously from lift

Posted by: Michael2

Man rescues skier dangling dangerously from lift - 01/06/17 05:27 PM

Useful to have a knife:

‘One of the most scary things I’ve ever seen’: Man rescues skier dangling dangerously from lift
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Man rescues skier dangling dangerously from lift - 01/06/17 06:51 PM

Two things come to mind:

Carry a pack that doesn't have a lotof straps that can catch on either ski lifts (or brush etc. as well).

Design ski lifts so that there are no catch point for straps, etc. to retard a skier's exit from the lift.

Third point - always carry a knife, especialy when embarking on a lift rescue. Catching a knife thrown from the ground is what is really amazing about this rescue...
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Man rescues skier dangling dangerously from lift - 01/06/17 08:42 PM

Not sure about the US, but in europe they want you to wear you pack in front of you. A bit of a pain the back side, especially with the airbag packs (needs more buckes to be closed and there is a strap does goes from under your crotch.). But quess that would prevent some of these issues.

I have always skied with a knife, but it's a opinel and i carry it because i'm to cheap to buy lunch and need something to cut my baquette...
Posted by: Russ

Re: Man rescues skier dangling dangerously from lift - 01/06/17 08:49 PM

My opinel is like a razor, but I usually just tear my baguette.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Man rescues skier dangling dangerously from lift - 01/06/17 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
My opinel is like a razor, but I usually just tear my baguette.

Correction, cut and spread camembert, chestnus spread or dry sausages.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Man rescues skier dangling dangerously from lift - 01/06/17 11:47 PM

Smart Lifties make you take your pack off and carry it in your lap. SAR teams also.

On a irksome note about carrying knives, more indoor events we visited over Christmas/New Year had metal detectors. My son had to bury his leatherman in a potted plant (to retrieve later) to get into the show he has just paid $18 of his hard earned lawn mowing money to see. No mention of the detectors when he bought the ticket. No place to store the tool was provided.

And don't get me started about the "fully activated" spot my wife was said to have which led to some embarrassing groping about by security.
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: Man rescues skier dangling dangerously from lift - 01/07/17 10:09 AM

Tjin wrote:
> My opinel is like a razor, but I usually just tear my
> baguette.

Carry a small serrated knife as well, for bread.

Reminds me: the best bit of 'survival kit' I've got is the upland hunters jacket from LL Bean. Unlike every other jacket the pockets don't break when stuffed full of gear. It means I can carry my over the top EDC and the game pocket is like a magicians trick. Till girls are amazed when I can keep putting stuff in and it never stops!

http://global.llbean.com/shop/Upland-Hunter-Field-Coat%2C-Waxed-Cotton/78268.html#q=hunters+jackets&start=1