ETS Kid's Survival Section Shout-out

Posted by: bacpacjac

ETS Kid's Survival Section Shout-out - 09/09/16 01:13 PM

Hey gang!

I'm setting up a couple of little just in case adventure backpack kits for my three almost four year old daughter and her BFF, who's almost three. I thought I'd give a heartfelt shout-out to the ETS "Survival for Kids" section. It's been a while since I've put together one of these little kits, so the first place I went for a refresher was here. If you've got kids to equip and prepare, this site rocks!!

Be sure to check it out here: http://www.equipped.org/kidsrvl.htm

FWIW, my girls are starting with little backpacks, laminated ID cards, small Nalgene water bottle with sippy cup lids, a little pack of snacks, brightly coloured sun hats and rain jackets as well as a stuffy for each of them. We've been practicing "Hug a Tree" for a few months, so they also have whistles on break-free lanyards.

They're too young and small for much more, other than perhaps flashlights. I debated adding bandaids too but they know how to use them, but they love them so they'd be more of a toy than a FAK item. wink
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: ETS Kid's Survival Section Shout-out - 09/09/16 01:18 PM

Excellent!

Make sure the ID cards have phone numbers of important contacts. The ones I made for my kids include each of the kids' mobiles, all the grandparents, and of course the numbers for my wife and myself.

You might want to consider adding a small, age appropriate and interesting toy.

Re: ETS Kid's Survival Section Shout-out - 09/09/16 01:27 PM

Great idea, Chaos! I put in a stuffy in each of their packs but that's more a comfort item. A small toy will be a great addition.

I want to keep these packs really lightweight so that I don't suck the fun out of it for them. (The goal is to take them hiking not forced marching. LOL!) There really is very little chance that they and I will become separated when were out there but you just never know! Safety first is my rule #1!

The cards I made has their names, my name and contact info, as well as their other parents names and contact info. wink
Posted by: bws48

Re: ETS Kid's Survival Section Shout-out - 09/09/16 05:33 PM

Although I doubt it is an issue with these young ladies, the ID card should include any medical issues and allergy problems (e.g. peanuts).

Re: ETS Kid's Survival Section Shout-out - 09/09/16 08:10 PM

Excellent point, bws! These girls have none but it would certainly be a priority if they did!
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: ETS Kid's Survival Section Shout-out - 09/14/16 02:24 AM

I am assuming that you did not put an address on any of the contact info, just phone numbers. Unfortunately, in these times we have to be very careful.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: ETS Kid's Survival Section Shout-out - 09/15/16 11:21 PM

I've been putting the kids' names and our contact information on dogtags and hanging then around the kids necks. It's near impossible to bang up embossed steel tags to the point where they're illegible. Tag-Z was the company I ordered from IIRC.

As far as dayhiking goes: backpacks with water bottle, munchies, jacket, whistle, light, and sunscreen. Sunhat on head, sunglasses on lanyard. I'll add an all weather blanket or poncho as they get older.

Re: ETS Kid's Survival Section Shout-out - 09/16/16 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
I am assuming that you did not put an address on any of the contact info, just phone numbers. Unfortunately, in these times we have to be very careful.

Nope. My kids are instructed to stay put if they are lost and not to go anywhere with somebody they don't know, so their address is irrelevant. My daughter still would though, so I keep her close. wink

Re: ETS Kid's Survival Section Shout-out - 09/16/16 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
I've been putting the kids' names and our contact information on dogtags and hanging then around the kids necks. It's near impossible to bang up embossed steel tags to the point where they're illegible. Tag-Z was the company I ordered from IIRC.

As far as dayhiking goes: backpacks with water bottle, munchies, jacket, whistle, light, and sunscreen. Sunhat on head, sunglasses on lanyard. I'll add an all weather blanket or poncho as they get older.

I love this idea, Mark! Our local Army Surplus store sells personalized dog tags. I'm going to go check them out. We all have lanyards and a dog tag would be a simple addition and much more secure than putting a card in a backpack.

Thanks so much!