FAK update

Posted by: Russ

FAK update - 08/30/16 08:15 PM

My truck's FAK had a test over the weekend and came up a tad short. There is a wound size that's bigger than a cut finger and small than a major trauma. An older lady was pushed into a cinder blocked wall by a rambunctious canine and found herself bleeding from a 1"x1" piece of skin being mostly ripped off. While many of us would have had a minor scape, her fragile skin resulted in a chunk of skin peeled back.

While I was cleaning the wound and thinking through how to use a 4x4 and tape on the open wound in a way that would not cause more issues when it was removed, another volunteer (who had been a nurse in a previous life) pulled a 2x3 non-stick pad and some generic sticks-to-itself wrap (similar to J&J Secure-Flex/Nexcare™ No Hurt Wrap/Coban Tape Self Adherent Wrap) which was ideal for fragile skin. The injured lady was on blood thinning meds so it was important to use a dressing that could be removed easily without causing more damage. Real-life lesson in treating a wound that I don't recall from my FA course.

So today I dropped by the local pharmacy and found two sizes of the non-stick pads and the sticks-to-itself-and-not-to-skin wrap to add to my truck's kit. I liked the way the former nurse's kit was organized too. Nothing special, just a generic plastic bin with ziplock type bags. Open the bin and you can see just about everything.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: FAK update - 08/30/16 08:26 PM

yes, think about using - not just stocking- your kit. Is it plainly and clearly a first aid kit? When opened, whats on top? Is everything easy to find? (and does your set up keep thing clean?)
Posted by: sak45acp

Re: FAK update - 08/30/16 10:40 PM

The wrap you describe can be found wicked cheap (compared to the pharmacy prices) as vet wrap on Amazon or other online sources. I got a 36 roll box for about $12. Also replaces ace bandages for sprains, and can be used to repair gear in the field without the stickiness/mess of duct tape residue. Multiple colors for organization or dealing with kids.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: FAK update - 08/31/16 11:17 AM

I stopped using regular gauze years ago and only stick non-stick pads on wounds. More absorbent and much easier to remove. I only use regular gauze for wound cleaning and such.

I haven't decided if the stick to it self kind of wrap is something I want to carry in smaller first aid kits. Although very usefull and easy to put on, my problem is generally providing first aid in the outdoors. In that case I prefer pre-made bandages or giant plasters, as those are easier to apply in the wind and easier to use if you are one handed.
Posted by: Russ

Re: FAK update - 08/31/16 04:17 PM

I agree. It's one thing to learn about treating wounds in an abstract, academic setting; it's another to actually treat a real wound where the fragile skin is pulled back and your classroom learning meets a part of reality not discussed. I'll be replacing a lot of gauze type dressing material with non-stick pads -- ditto the self-adherent wraps. Switching over, not 100%, 4x4's still have a role, but for direct contact as a dressing, the non-stick pads are simply a better option,
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: FAK update - 09/02/16 05:23 AM

Without meaning to minimize the value of non-stick dressings, in the olden days ,we lightly smeared a 4x4 with a thin coat of antibiotic cream or sterile Vaseline to cover a skinned or raw wound. And for burn dressing on the cheap, we used boiled salted water to dampen a gauze pad and wrapped the covered wound with a Saran type wrap.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: FAK update - 01/14/17 06:34 PM

...and put it all in a water tight container.