Emily, the rescue robot

Posted by: hikermor

Emily, the rescue robot - 03/22/16 12:32 AM

Just listening to a story on NPR about this gadget - looks like an interesting high tech development

http://emilyrobot.com/

How long before the St Bernard robot?
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Emily, the rescue robot - 03/22/16 05:41 AM

Very cool! It looks like a very useful device.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Emily, the rescue robot - 03/23/16 05:26 AM

Since high school days, I have imagined someday we would all have a personal assistant robot (PAR) as an EDC of sorts. Rather, such a device would tag along beside us and provide certain functions as well as securely stow our necessaries. It could serve as a sentry/security system, carry provisions, supplies, and materials, keep us all interconnected, retain all our personal information digitally, and so on. It could either roll, walk, or fly depending on terrain and conditions.

Maybe not in my lifetime now, but doable I think within the next 50 years or so.

Tom Selleck and Gene Simmons were in a movie called "Runaways", that had basic elements of my idea. While I thought up the notion long before the movie came out, I'm not sure mine was an original thought. Most likely, it was something Jules Verne wrote about somewhere.
Posted by: duckear

Re: Emily, the rescue robot - 05/07/16 08:02 PM

Imagine pairing it with a drone that pinpoints the victim and automatically steers it to them.

Like having a personal USCG helo and cutter on the back of a four wheeler on the beach for the lifeguards.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Emily, the rescue robot - 05/09/16 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Since high school days, I have imagined someday we would all have a personal assistant robot (PAR) as an EDC of sorts. Rather, such a device would tag along beside us and provide certain functions as well as securely stow our necessaries. It could serve as a sentry/security system, carry provisions, supplies, and materials, keep us all interconnected, retain all our personal information digitally, and so on. It could either roll, walk, or fly depending on terrain and conditions.

Maybe not in my lifetime now, but doable I think within the next 50 years or so.

Tom Selleck and Gene Simmons were in a movie called "Runaways", that had basic elements of my idea. While I thought up the notion long before the movie came out, I'm not sure mine was an original thought. Most likely, it was something Jules Verne wrote about somewhere.

I wouldn't give it 50 years. With battery tech advancing the way it is, we will likely see a hoverboard [scooter] type PR (you stand on it vs. a suitcase that follows you around) within the next 10-20 years.

Originally Posted By: duckear
Imagine pairing it with a drone that pinpoints the victim and automatically steers it to them.

Like having a personal USCG helo and cutter on the back of a four wheeler on the beach for the lifeguards.

Drone + Emily + Operator is currently viable. I was thinking less lifeguard beach rescue, than a man-overboard type scenario where the victim may be somewhere in the last half mile of ocean. Both a FLIR equipped drone and Emily could be deployed within seconds of the alarm.