Rethinking my edc ( every day carry)

Posted by: TeacherRO

Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/13/16 07:15 PM

Looking at what I use and what I don't. Adding a cell phone battery & a pen.

What changes are you making to your 2016 kit?
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/13/16 07:19 PM

For me, I'm carrying two spare magazines instead of one, and I'm going to try carrying a compact pistol rather than a subcompact, and see how that goes. I'm also thinking about how often I carry a full-size multitool, and figure out if I should carry one more often.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/13/16 08:25 PM

I gave up my cel phone when I gave up my job so that's number one for me, ASAP.

Here's a peak inside my EDC purse. My EDC Purse Show and Tell

I'd love any suggestions you may have!

My minimum always on-body EDC is a micro photon on a three feet of paracord, worn as a necklace, and a Casio digital watch with compass. As far as pocket carry when I got out, there's always a Bic in my pocket, along with a folding knife and lip balm, and usually some other odds and ends.

Posted by: Alex

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/13/16 09:14 PM

My EDC paradigm is a no EDC bag one (though, I'm always carrying the rip-stop collapsible bag on me).

At the moment I'm trying to convince myself to EDC something on the neck this year (got a neck knife, similar to Boker Magnum Lil Friend).

The rest of my EDC rethinking is about improving my current EDC system:

I have my keychain kit upgraded with nice clip-on hooks for separate item bundles http://www.ebay.com/itm/151785432830 (lightweight aluminum). These are also great with paracord, as their eyelet allows to thread through (from different sides) 2 ends tightly, melt them a bit, and have a secure, regulated paracord loop lanyard.

Also I've found nice black thick anodized rings, which are snugly fitting my belt after some squashing in the vise. That should allow my keychain kit to stay in a proper location on the belt (above the pocket's edge), be more securely attached to it, and allow smooth and easy snap/disconnect action.

Got 10 plastic pouches to organize my EDC stuff in a more flat and moisture resistant way in the pockets (see my other post on these). So far they work great.

Plan to 3D print special holders for various EDC items, which should prevent them from moving in the pockets. Plenty of them, as I have several regular outfits depending on the season and occasion.

Examples:
1. I have a shocker which perfectly fits in the internal loop of the side pocket of my ScotteVest Revolution jacket. But the loop is a bit high in the pocket, so the shocker sometimes falls down and out of the loop. The obvious solution is a side clip (like on a pen) which should keep it in place vertically.

2. Soft frame for the front pocket perspiration guard. I'm carrying the large smartphone (Note 3) in that pocket and using a thin piece of carbon fiber always staying in that pocket to keep the touchscreen dry. But edges of that screen are started tearing the inner vent mesh. The soft cornered frame on the shield should amend that and also should help self-centering the phone over it.

Some items are pending a replacement. Like the disposable rain poncho, which is usually developing holes at the creases after riding in the pocket for about a year.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/14/16 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
For me, I'm carrying two spare magazines instead of one, and I'm going to try carrying a compact pistol rather than a subcompact, and see how that goes.

Good plan. I'm looking into this too. I'd love to figure out a way to conceal my full-size P30 and two spare mags. But that's quite a jump from a small lightweight single-stack subcompact. So I'll probably have to investigate a compact instead. A P30SK maybe?

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/14/16 03:23 AM

My primary carry pistol right now is an S&W M&P Shield. I've purchased a concealment holster for an M&P Compact; I compete with one and have for some time. That gets me faster followup shots, better accuracy beyond ten yards or so, and more ammo available.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/14/16 03:34 AM

for on body EDC, replaced the Fenix E12 with a Solar Force Z2 with H-M-L mode, and extra magazine for the G42... for car, added a somewhat larger bag to include more GSW trauma supplies, and a couple of extra magazines for the G17... exploring the role that flashlights may provide as a distraction device for those places I cannot legally carry ... I'm old, and can get away with carrying this generic pouch on my belt...

Posted by: Greg_Sackett

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/14/16 03:41 AM

I have carried a full sized 1911 (Wilson CQB) every day for about 12 years now. I've never had a problem with it in an IWB holster @ 5 o'clock. I usually carry 2 mags on my left side for it. This is with jeans, cargo pants, shorts, etc. The only exception is on my bike when I carry an XD in a fanny pack instead.

Hard to beat a single action trigger, full sized sight radius and less recoil. I think you will be pleased with the step up. With the right holster you probably won't notice the difference.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/14/16 06:06 AM

My primary carry pistol right now is an S&W M&P Shield.

Great choice. This is the number #1 pistol I recommend to others for concealed carry. I love shooting them. And it's the one I would buy for myself if I were replacing my current carry pistol, which I purchased long before the Shield was released, with another single-stack. Had the Shield been available at the time I purchased, the Shield would have gotten my money instead.

But now, with all that's going on in the world, I'm considering something with higher capacity than the Shield. The M&P Compact was at the top of my list, until I bought that P30, and fell in love with it. I'd have to compare the M&P Compact vs. the P30SK side-by-side before making a decision. The M&P is a compact holding 12+1 (in 9mm). The H&K is a subcompact holding 10+1. My current carry is a subcompact 7+1. The S&W compact wins in capacity, but the H&K wins in ergonomics, fit & finish. But the S&W Compact is nothing to sneeze at. It is a very nice and accurate pistol too. And a lot cheaper than the H&K. The thing about the H&K P30 ... once you put one in your hand, you just can't let it go. It immediately sucks the money right out of your wallet (and it sucks pretty hard, BTW!) The best fitting pistol (for my hand) that I've ever fired.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/14/16 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: haertig
The thing about the H&K P30 ... once you put one in your hand, you just can't let it go.

I'll have to try it. Sometime when I have more money in the gun budget laugh.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/14/16 02:25 PM

I don't really change my EDC much. GOt a different phone and it now rides in a different pocket, because it's too big.

Other then that; I think I need a wallet. Parts are worn to the point that I actually getting more pockets in it. Since I replaced my EU drivers license and my old car registration papers to the new fancy creditcard size ones, I'm thinking of getting those fancy card holder wallet thingies, but they never have a pocket for change...
Posted by: Russ

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/14/16 02:51 PM

I don't change much, just transition from one set to another. Requirements haven't realy changed despite all the issues in the news. As for no change pocket -- I carry a separate change holder for coins and small bills; the wallet is for ID, credit cards and large bills only. If there's no need for large bills, I don't need remove the wallet from its pocket.

G19 is the only pistol I've carried, with just the mag in the pistol.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/14/16 06:37 PM

I'm using these http://www.ebay.com/itm/262062018808 for quite a while (got the second one in 5 years, as their locking mechanism goes bad eventually). Great for chip cards, as it works as a Faraday cage for them. Fits some bills as well. All the change I'm carrying is 4 quarters, just for a coin phone, I guess, along with 5x$20s in a secret emergency stash.

(you may want to search there for the model with ribs on one side, it's sturdier)
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/15/16 05:23 AM

TeacherRO: Adding an extra cell phone battery is a fine idea. I use a IPhone 6. I've fitted it with a Mophie 120% battery case. It enlarges the phone to about the next size up IPhone. But it's always there, ready and fully charged. No need for a seperate spare battery. May be a solution for you,too.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/15/16 06:35 AM

The P30 is an awesome sidearm! I carry mine frequently. But if you want something a smidge easier to conceal you might try a P2000. It gives you 90% of the capability in a package that's a fair bit more concealable due to the slightly shorter grip. It's still large enough to get a full grip on. The P30sk is another great option and one I don't have yet.

Carrying two mags is gonna be a challenge! I carry a single spare mag in a Safariland 123 Horizontal Mag Pouch. Very comfortable, easy to hide and unobtrusive. IMO it doesn't look like a mag pouch which is a plus.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/15/16 12:29 PM

Most of the time I have a concealment garment like a sportcoat, sweatshirt, or an untucked polo. Spare magazines for the Shield are small. Changing to a dual mag carrier is easy (although the one I have doesn't go on or off the belt as easily as the single mag carrier I've been using).

When the concealment holster comes for the Compact the weight of the full-size magazines may be an issue. We'll see.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/15/16 09:19 PM

I'm looking at this setup for the P30, and also for whatever other firearm I may choose for carry OWB in the future (mag carrier would match the holster, this photo doesn't show that):

http://www.rgrizzleleather.com/

Posted by: Eugene

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/15/16 10:02 PM

My primary carry pistol right now is an S&W M&P Shield.

Great choice. This is the number #1 pistol I recommend to others for concealed carry. I love shooting them. And it's the one I would buy for myself if I were replacing my current carry pistol, which I purchased long before the Shield was released, with another single-stack. Had the Shield been available at the time I purchased, the Shield would have gotten my money instead.

But now, with all that's going on in the world, I'm considering something with higher capacity than the Shield. The M&P Compact was at the top of my list, until I bought that P30, and fell in love with it. I'd have to compare the M&P Compact vs. the P30SK side-by-side before making a decision. The M&P is a compact holding 12+1 (in 9mm). The H&K is a subcompact holding 10+1. My current carry is a subcompact 7+1. The S&W compact wins in capacity, but the H&K wins in ergonomics, fit & finish. But the S&W Compact is nothing to sneeze at. It is a very nice and accurate pistol too. And a lot cheaper than the H&K. The thing about the H&K P30 ... once you put one in your hand, you just can't let it go. It immediately sucks the money right out of your wallet (and it sucks pretty hard, BTW!) The best fitting pistol (for my hand) that I've ever fired.

I originally wanted the shield but no one had them in stock at the time so I settelednon the 9c. Turns out I was happy with it as its size is plenty small enough. I have a desantis holster which has a slot for the second magazine.

I want to get a nice edc light, anyone use the Stream light that is USB chargeable, normally I prefer AA but since I carry microusb already that might work fine.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/15/16 11:36 PM

Eugene, you can have both (AA + micro USB): http://www.ebay.com/itm/271612539290 (I saw 1500mAh as well). There is a quirk with these though, you canot use a regular AA charger, these have a special charging ring around the positive tip, which accepts a special 5V charger.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/16/16 02:38 AM

The 9c is a fantastic pistol. My wife took mine and it was with no small amount of glee that I bought myself another.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/16/16 07:38 AM

Most of the time I have a concealment garment like a sportcoat, sweatshirt, or an untucked polo. Spare magazines for the Shield are small. Changing to a dual mag carrier is easy (although the one I have doesn't go on or off the belt as easily as the single mag carrier I've been using).

When the concealment holster comes for the Compact the weight of the full-size magazines may be an issue. We'll see.

Yeah, I suppose that wouldn't be so bad. I was thinking in terms of a double stack of the type I usually carry. My Beretta Nano is a single stack about the size of the Shield. Realistically it would be nice to carry two mags with that gun since it only holds 8 rounds.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/16/16 02:03 PM

The Shield mags are single-stack, the M&P Compact mags are dual-stack. The Compact is compatible with full-size M&P magazines, and magazine sleeves are available to improve the grip. When I carry the Compact it's always with at least one full-size spare magazine; I'm hoping that the new holster will conceal easily enough for me to carry it more often.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/17/16 07:03 AM

I used to really like single stacks for CCW in the summer, particularly my Beretta Nano. I have considered picking up a Walther PPS, too. But my HK P2000 has pretty much lead me to putting the Nano in the drawer. The Nano is a little bit thinner but if you lay it on top of the P2000 they're virtually the same height and length. IMO it's the height of the gun (from the top of the rear of the slide down to the bottom of the mag floorplate) that dictates how easy a sidearm is to conceal, not really the thickness. There are a few circumstances where the thinner gun is a bit easier to conceal, especially in very hot weather, but for the most part they're about the same. But I feel a lot more confident in the HK carried 13+1 than the Beretta with its 8+1.

Sorry for the digression! I realize this isn't a gun forum but it's hard to discuss EDC without mentioning a sidearm, at least in my case.
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/24/16 11:11 AM

I've upgraded my torch. My beloved Nitecore D10 has been replaced by a Zebralight SC5 Fw. Both single AA. I'm as ever impressed by how much more efficient the newer light is. It has a flood beam, no throw to speak of, which I think I prefer for my EDC use. I got fed up by being dazzled by a hot spot, or having a spill so weak as to be useless. The old light's brightness was continuously variable. The new one has discrete levels, which I prefer because it means I know what trade off of light for battery life I am making. It has a fairly complex user interface, which I'm now familiar with (one advantage of EDC is that it gets used frequently). The main actual drawback is that it tries to come on at full brightness when I want a dimmer setting.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/25/16 09:21 PM

Because I do some repairs, I like a tiny headlamp - something the size of a cherry tomato. ( runs on 2 coin cell batteries)
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/25/16 10:22 PM

I lost yet another light & knife combo, so the current revision has a dog tag attached to it with my name and cell#. The thin steel of the dog tag is surprisingly usefull.

I also upgraded my light to the current generation Fenix E05. There's definitely something to be said about that 85 lumen burst mode on that not so proverbial "dark and stormy night".

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/25/16 11:22 PM

I like the Fenix AAA lights for emergencies but with survival in mind I went with the very simple13 lumen Fenix E01. There's very little to malfunction in a single mode LED.
Posted by: JeffMc

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/26/16 03:14 AM

I'm a fan of Fenix AA and AAA lights, although I have had one or two fail over the years. But they saw fairly hard service in my work as a firefighter/paramedic, and cost a lot less to replace than some other lights.

I particularly liked the Fenix white diffuser attachment and red traffic wand attachments in combination with the strobe mode, which worked, I believe, better than a traditional 2D traffic wand light, but was much lighter and less bulky, and easily slipped into a pocket.

Anybody got any suggestions for a super high lumen multiple AA powered spot and/or floodlight LED flashlight? I know there are a few out there, but I've ever actually laid hands on one.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/26/16 04:12 AM

If you want super high lumens, I would go the 18650 route. I have done so, and I am pleased with the inherent higher capacity and the very reasonable size. I am using a Zebralite headlamp and a Nitecore P12.Comparable models are available from other sources, including Fenix. I still keep AA lights, primarily because the batteries are so common. More and more,I depend on my 18650s.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/26/16 05:04 AM

Thanks, but I want to stick with AAs, since that's what is most readily available on deployments and is what I've standardized on for all my emergency/survival related electronics.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/26/16 05:25 AM

As I understand, in AA's the NiMH rechargeable batteries have the most current available. It's the battery, not the LED/light engine. I have also gone to 18650 batteries for high output lights, however, I still have AA lights which work quite well.

Check out the 4Sevens Click The Quark Click QK2A-X may work -- 336 max lumen.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/26/16 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: JeffMc
Thanks, but I want to stick with AAs, since that's what is most readily available on deployments and is what I've standardized on for all my emergency/survival related electronics.

"Deployments" indicates a somewhat different environment from my relatively tranquil civilian situation. You might consider 14500 (size equivalent to AAs). I believe there are lights like the Fenix LD09 that will accept either battery. I am a definite fan of rechargeable batteries - essentially they are much cheaper in the long run and the li-on versions offer much more energy density, although the do require attention and some understanding.

I retain dedicated AA lights, as well, because of the almost virtual availability of AAs, but all mine utilize rechargeables - primarily because of lower cost.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/29/16 08:40 PM

Also adding a spare house and truck key, cash in a separate location and keeping a phone charger at work.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/31/16 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Also adding a spare house and truck key, cash in a separate location and keeping a phone charger at work.

Good idea, Teacher. You just made me realize that I haven't put extra keys in my EDC purse yet. Thanks for the reminder! (We have an extra house key hidden at home, but my almost-a-teenager kid is forever forgetting his key and moving the spare. It's like a treasure hunt to find it. UGH!)

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/31/16 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
my almost-a-teenager kid is forever forgetting his key and moving the spare

I've made a paracord key lanyard and teached my DS how to quickly attach it to his jeans' belt loop, when he's turned 11. That's fixed the similar problem for many years smile

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/01/16 03:12 AM

I keep meaning to get set up for rechargeable AAs and AAAs at home, as well as solar charging in the field, for rechargeable AAs and for internal cellphone batteries. I also need a backup rechargeable battery to go along with a Samsung S6 for EDC. I'll have to look it up and see if my EDC Fenix flashlights are okay with rechargeables.

I've heard enloops are good rechargeable batteries. One thing I know I need at home is a smart charger that I can leave batteries in indefinitely without frying them.

Goal Zero seems to dominate the backpacker-weight portable solar market, but I see other brands at much lower cost on Amazon, too, like Ankar.

Aargh! Too many compatibility issues and purchase options to figure out!

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/01/16 03:47 AM

Yeah, the Goal Zero Guide 10 charges AA/AAA batteries direct, but can also changes cell-phones via a USB port. Excellent system for the field, but probably not for EDC.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/01/16 07:38 AM

GZ Guide 10 is definitely pocketable, it is the smallest device of that kind on the market. You should be able to get about 80% of charge to your S6 from it (just make sure you've got Plus model). A cheaper option would be to get a Lithium battery based power bank. It will be much lighter, slimmer, and provide more energy (Guide 10 is around 2Ah, you can find a 10Ah LiPo for less than $20).

The Nomad 7 panel is the smallest they are offering and adequate enough for emergencies. It could be easily EDCed even in a small bag. Anker 8W panel looks interesting, but if you decide on GZ Guide 10, it's better to get the Nomad 7, as it has a special dedicated port for the most efficient charging of their Guide.

If you consider the LiPo bank, you can opt for one with a small solar panel on the side for pocket EDC. It's not very efficient, but I have one, and it can recharge its ~8Ah internal battery from about 20% left to 100% in 12 hours sitting in the full sun.

For Eneloops I would recommend visit your local costco and grab their new green box kit with 8 AAs and 4xAAAs. Their new 4xAA/AAA charger is great, as it can charge batteries individually now (1,2,3, or 4, mix AA/AAAs). You can definitely keep batteries inside forever, as that charger has a "smart" charging controller.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/01/16 01:26 PM

JeffMc.. if you think you might someday move into the 18650 sized rechargables with LiION or LiFePO4 chemistry, you might look at a smart charger with that ability up front... in either case be sure to get a charger with 12v cigarette plug capability...I've been extremely happy with the Sanyo/Panasonic AA and AAA Eneloops... make sure they are produced in Japan...

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/01/16 01:56 PM

My home charger for Eneloops and everything else is a Nitecore D4. I got the two-bay version for my car. No affiliation, just very happy with how well it works.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/01/16 02:21 PM

I am also a far of the D4. Charges AA, AAA, C, 18650 and does them very well.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/01/16 03:41 PM

Interesting. I found myself only ever charging two batteries at a time so I bought the Nitecore D2. It charges just about anything (Li-Ion IMR Lifepo4 Ni-MH Ni-Cd 26650, 22650, 18650, 18490, 18350, 14500, 16340, AA, AAA, C).

BTW, the 1500 lumen Solarforce K3 with two 18650 batteries ended up in the truck after I picked up the M3 (also with two 18650 batteries). So I bought a second Nitecore D2 for the truck. Face it, if you normally do all your battery charging at home, but unexpectedly need to recharge batteries away from home, it's cheaper to buy a second charger than another set of Li-Ion 18650 batteries. So if I can stretch the imagination a bit and call my truck kit "EDC", I EDC a Nitecore D2. wink Okay, not EDC, but once you go to rechargeable batteries, having a charger is sorta critical.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/01/16 07:46 PM

Russ.. have you run the M3 long enough to get it hot yet?

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/01/16 08:37 PM

No, haven't gotten the SF K3 hot yet. I was interested in how long it would take to heat up when I used it, but it apparently takes longer than you'd think; the cooling fins seem to work well. It may take a dedicated test to determine.

How long does it take to get the SF M3 hot? Even though the fins seem about the same, the K3 head is a tad bigger in diameter which probably puts heat build-up about par with the M3.

On the subject of high output lights and heat, there is a warning on the ThruNite TN12 to limit max output to 10 minutes. 1000 lumen is a lot of light out of such a small head with no cooling fins, so 10 minutes is understandable.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 05/03/16 08:24 PM

Adding a jacket, ( insulating, waterproof or both) to bags. Keeping warm/ dry is important
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 05/04/16 06:11 AM

Clothing items are seasonal things that come and go in my edc. I have a compressed vest and a compressed coat, both down, for the cold times, a stuffable rain jacket for the wet times, and a brimmed hat and light cotton vest for the warm sunny days. Since space is a limit, things get replaced one season to the next.

I always keep an umbrella in my edc here.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 05/04/16 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Alex
Eugene, you can have both (AA + micro USB): http://www.ebay.com/itm/271612539290 (I saw 1500mAh as well).

Brilliant. Thanks Alex!

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 05/04/16 12:40 PM

Adding a jacket, ( insulating, waterproof or both) to bags. Keeping warm/ dry is important

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Clothing items are seasonal things that come and go in my edc. I have a compressed vest and a compressed coat, both down, for the cold times, a stuffable rain jacket for the wet times, and a brimmed hat and light cotton vest for the warm sunny days. Since space is a limit, things get replaced one season to the next.

I always keep an umbrella in my edc here.

Because I've been commuting by bike and foot, I added a florescent orange rain jacket with hood to my EDC pack, to help stay warm, dry and visable. It doesn't take up much space or weight in my pack or on my bod. Perfect for our unpredictable Spring weather.

Spring in my neck of the woods generally means that we can get a summer heatwave & winter snow storm in the same day, so dressing for all the extremes is key if you're like me and commuting on foot. (This year it's been very cold, wet and windy.) My EDC pack also holds a thin long-sleeved merino wool hoodie, merino wool hiking socks, a pair of silk long john bottoms, winter hat, baseball hat, insulated mechanics gloves, silk liner gloves and a buff. (I also carry a GI poncho, but for shelter purposes rather than for rain wear.)

I'm on the look-out for new rain pants for this pack, but decided to keep a complete change of clothes at work instead.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 05/04/16 01:36 PM

BPJ, you might find a Gatewood cape http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tarps/GatewoodCape.html an upgrade to a GI poncho. No personal experience, but there is probably one in my future...

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 05/04/16 02:37 PM

Thanks hikermor! That looks pretty sweet!

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 07/20/16 08:20 PM

...Currently trying figure out how to carry a spare set of keys.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 07/20/16 09:48 PM

Car keys (bulky) or house key?

I carry a set in my purse.

If a purse is not an option, then I'd look at "man bags" and travel security products. These at REI focus on waist and neck wallets but I think there are also lower leg options elsewhere.

https://www.rei.com/c/wallets-and-money-belts?r=c&pagesize=90&ir=category%3Awallets-and-money-belts&page=1

Here's a wallet for wearing on the lower leg:

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Undercover-Leg-Wallet/dp/B0054IHBLY

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 07/20/16 09:51 PM

I've made a couple of tweaks to my EDC gear lately. I picked up a single mode head and the new-clip version Malkoff MDC body. Since I am a bit of a flashlight geek I've got a lot of nice ones that I will rotate at times. But the MDC does almost everything well. I may still get the head with the TIR reflector but for now I'm content.

My EDC knife has also been upgraded to a Spyderco Dragonfly with a HAP40 blade.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 07/21/16 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Dagny

Car keys (bulky) or house key?

Yeah, spare car keys (chip keys) are a problem. I imagine they make them big so they're more difficult to lose. Last time I needed a spare chip key it cost me $300 (bloody highway robbery!).

I had a standard non-chip key made and broke off the fat plastic part. When I'm travelling, this goes in my wallet or other secure location. At least this gives me access to the vehicle for shelter/security, extended survival gear, listening to the radio for information, and charging my phone.

I wonder if the "chip" part could be cloned and carried separately like a security fob (but not stored in the vehicle for obvious reasons)? It's a good question to ask a locksmith.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 07/22/16 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I wonder if the "chip" part could be cloned and carried separately like a security fob (but not stored in the vehicle for obvious reasons)? It's a good question to ask a locksmith.

Depends on the car's make and model. Some are really hard to clone.
Posted by: WesleyH

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 07/26/16 01:29 AM

For keys. .

This looks handy

http://homeli.co.uk/tik-hopes-to-slim-down-our-key-rings-with-bike-chain/

As does this:

https://www.amazon.com/HitchSafe-HS7000T-HS7000-Key-Vault/dp/B000I66JEM?ie=UTF8&tag=vig-20

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 07/26/16 02:44 PM

Pretty nifty!! Thanks!

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 08/19/16 10:24 PM

adding kleenex and a bandana. the exam gloves have been moved from EDC to various kits.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 08/19/16 10:56 PM

We're going out of town for the weekend so I repacked my "Adventure Pack". Today. It's basically my day hike, camping, fishing, bushcrafty-picnic and GHB backpack. It's basically been EDC this summer.

We're still in Heat Alert status around here. It's been a hot and humid summer, with little rain, serious storms and fire bans everywhere. The nights have started to get cooler though, with the temp swing between day and night enough to induce hypothermia, especially if the day includes water sports or a hot sweaty hike.

I'm tempted to add a synthetic short-sleeved t-shirt and a pair of thin leggings, but my pack is crammed. I do have a light-weight long sleeved button-up shirt in my pack, so the t-shirt is overkill.

I decided to swap in a pair of men's boxer briefs for the leggings, and crammed them into my hygiene kit. wink The seasons are about to change, I hope!

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 08/19/16 11:09 PM

If you can, get a pair of boxers in Merino wool -- comfortable, warm and they don't take on odors like some synthetics.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 08/20/16 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
If you can, get a pair of boxers in Merino wool -- comfortable, warm and they don't take on odors like some synthetics.

I am on the hunt for some of those. I have merino long johns, which I love. Hopefully this hotter than Hades summer will end soon so I can pull them out again. I LOVE merino wool and I find that boxer briefs are a good compromise back-up to pants or skivvies. They're dual purpose in that I can use them as underwear or shorts. (Sidenote for the women in the room: They aren't necessarily practical as underwear all the time, depending on your circumstances.)
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 08/21/16 01:47 AM

In regards to this hot redacted summer weather: has Farmer's Almanac predicted this winter's weather? A cold winter would be welcomed by me.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 08/21/16 02:13 AM

As I recall FA is calling for way colder temps East of the Rockies. We'll see...
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 08/21/16 02:15 AM

Over the last while, I got into the habit of NOT carrying a mini-Bic since I'm doing consulting work for a pipeline company. Sure, a Bic in my briefcase, and a Bic in my vehicle, but not in my pocket.

They're banned in process areas, of course, but I'm in an office 99% of the time.

Good Lord, have I been urbanized? This is out of character; I need to smarten up. In a SAR situation, every family member would reflexively say "yeah, dougwa__ always has a Bic in his pocket, and knows how to use it."

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 08/22/16 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: wildman800
In regards to this hot redacted summer weather: has Farmer's Almanac predicted this winter's weather? A cold winter would be welcomed by me.

I hear that according to the Farmer's Almanac we're in for a wicked winter in these parts. Lots of cold and snow. Fingers crossed!
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 08/23/16 02:40 AM

I hope it is a cold winter down here. The bugs need to be knocked back some. Last winter preserved a bumper crop of bugs this summer. Because of the flooding, the mosquito population is about to explode down here.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 08/26/16 02:55 AM

any weather predictions outside a few weeks are mostly guesses...

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 12/05/16 07:45 PM

carrying more food and water...because sometimes I plan badly and meals are late

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 12/10/16 01:53 PM

Added more warmth to my EDC purse: chem hand warmers, extra Heat Sheets blanket, hat, mitts, food, etc...

I also added some plastic bread bags. They're light and small, and they make a great protection from soakers in the cold and wet.

Lock de-icer is on my shopping list now, along with a small ice scraper. I also need a new head lamp for my purse. (Mine was recently broken by my 4 year old.) Hands-free light is crucial sometimes.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 12/14/16 06:18 AM

i had a car hassle today.the battery ran down when i left a seat warmer on between chore runs.it was in front of the house and i have a charger so I was running again in no time.
BUT the thought of a dead battery or whatever out on the road and I swapped out a few things in the car.the main one being a hooded sleeping bag rather than a old blanket.
some thick socks,gloves and hand warmers,a bunch of those!,and I felt a bit better about keeping warm waiting for a tow.
tomorrow when I make a hardware store run for a light fixture i'm going to get another jug of kerosene for the heater,that makes three.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 12/14/16 07:50 AM

Also a nice tip, lube the locks (lockspray) and door seals (the door grease (?) stick thingy). Keep them from freezing and smoothly operating.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 12/16/16 05:12 AM

super cold in Minneapolis and for the first time in a couple years i'm seeing cars jump started.
so i'm back from getting grocerys and a car has its hood up and the driver is using some sort of compact starter kit from what I can see.thats fine but the kit came with a warning traffic cone and its placed just where it should behind the car.problem----it's the size of a pop can! I guess to fit in the little case the charger came in there was not enough room for anything larger.
in the middle of a cold bright day I could see it but dark and stormy,no chance and with a dead battery the car won't have any flashing warning lights or headlights on.
the point being find yourself a better warning cone/light/flare or whatever and keep it in the car.you could turn that little kit cone over and have drink out of it while the car is warming up!

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 12/16/16 02:51 PM

I have and recommend a Reflective Triangle in my trucks parts and tools kit, right next to the jumper cables.

LED Flares work well too.
Posted by: mootz

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 12/17/16 12:23 AM

Regarding car keys and assuming at least one of the doors has a mechanical lock cylinder (only the driver's door on my car has one; most cars these days rely on the electronic key fob to unlock/lock) you can have an ordinary key cut to unlock the door to gain entry. Hide a chip key somewhere inside the car to drive. Then the ordinary key can fit your EDC easier. Make SURE the ordinary key unlocks the door BEFORE you leave the dealership or where ever you got the key cut.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 12/17/16 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: mootz
Regarding car keys and assuming at least one of the doors has a mechanical lock cylinder (only the driver's door on my car has one; most cars these days rely on the electronic key fob to unlock/lock) you can have an ordinary key cut to unlock the door to gain entry. Hide a chip key somewhere inside the car to drive. Then the ordinary key can fit your EDC easier. Make SURE the ordinary key unlocks the door BEFORE you leave the dealership or where ever you got the key cut.

Keep in mind that hiding the chip key too near where it needs to be read can disable the antitheft system when you don't intend to. What's "too near"? I don't know. Probably best to experiment carefully with your car.

Also, I've heard that some insurance companies will deny auto theft claims if you can't produce all the keys on demand.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 12/17/16 08:56 AM

For what it may be worth:
In Germany the reflective triangle is considered important enough to be mandatory on the car. LEOs can fine you if you canīt produce one on demand.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 12/17/16 01:30 PM

After a recent hike, I found that my chip key somehow got smashed in my pack and fell apart. I could use the key part of the fob to open the driver's door, which is the only one that has a mechanical lock cylinder, but I couldn't reassemble the rest of the pieces properly and it wouldn't start the car. Thankfully, I had another in my EDC purse, which was left in the car for the hike. We bought our car used so didn't get a valet key, but I had a couple made last week, and one now lives on my hiking lanyard for adventure time.

I do worry a little about leaving a fob in car, but it's an older car and doesn't have a fancy alarm or that proximity alert-thingy that new cars do. wink
Posted by: Ian

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 12/17/16 03:07 PM

Faraday cage (tin box) for the chip?

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 12/17/16 03:28 PM

Does the trunk open with a physical key? One of those magnetic key storage cases could securely hide a key inside your trunk indefinitely and if a physical lock can access it, there you go.

Just thinking out loud, I have only mechanical locks and my third key is identical to the other two, it is not coming apart.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/24/17 11:49 PM

adding small (1 aa) battery tactical flashlights.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/25/17 01:00 PM

Does the trunk open with a physical key? One of those magnetic key storage cases could securely hide a key inside your trunk indefinitely and if a physical lock can access it, there you go.

Just thinking out loud, I have only mechanical locks and my third key is identical to the other two, it is not coming apart.

The trunk doesn't open with a key. What a stupid design! LOL! There's 5 doors (including the rear cargo door) and only one has a key lock on it. DOH!

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/25/17 09:52 PM

The trunk doesn't open with a key. What a stupid design! LOL! There's 5 doors (including the rear cargo door) and only one has a key lock on it. DOH!

I have the same configuration. I figure there's two options. The first is a combination key safe anchored to the outside of the car at a well hidden location. There are auto specific key safes for this. The other is to have the key safe hidden inside the car along with a plastic, credit card key, inside your wallet.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/26/17 01:38 PM

I think you're right, Mark. I'm going to go get a magnetic box today!

I had another key fob break on me while hiking this week. I need to figure out a carrying case for them while they're in my pack so they don't get smashed. The key portion broke off and fell before I realized it when I took my keys out of the pack. Thankfully, I had a second key stashed in my jacket, just in case, and was able to find the broken key within a few minutes of looking.

I sometimes think it might be easier to just ditch my car and go back to my bike and trailer! wink
Posted by: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/26/17 07:56 PM

I had another key fob break on me while hiking this week. I need to figure out a carrying case for them while they're in my pack so they don't get smashed. The key portion broke off and fell before I realized it when I took my keys out of the pack...

Hi,
is there a pocket at the top of the pack? about wallet size?

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/26/17 10:15 PM

I think you're right, Mark. I'm going to go get a magnetic box today!

I had another key fob break on me while hiking this week. I need to figure out a carrying case for them while they're in my pack so they don't get smashed. The key portion broke off and fell before I realized it when I took my keys out of the pack. Thankfully, I had a second key stashed in my jacket, just in case, and was able to find the broken key within a few minutes of looking.

I sometimes think it might be easier to just ditch my car and go back to my bike and trailer! wink

I was thinking about something that bolts or straps to the car frame and requires a combination to open instead of a basic magnetic hide-a-key. Criminals aren't all dumb, and sooner or later you're going to run into somebody who knows to check for a hide-a-key.

If you're going to continue to squash keys, it may be in your interest to by a small, crushproof container to keep them in. Something along the lines of a Pelican Micro.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/28/17 12:08 AM

I just carry a spare.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/28/17 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
I was thinking about something that bolts or straps to the car frame and requires a combination to open instead of a basic magnetic hide-a-key.

If you have a trailer hitch one of these might work. I have no idea how secure these things are. I don't own one. But I was aware that they exist, so posting that here, with no recommendation of good or bad.

https://www.amazon.com/HitchSafe-HS7000T-HS7000-Key-Vault/dp/B000I66JEM

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/28/17 03:50 AM

I have but mediocre skill in picking locks but I wouldn't trust a lock with wheels like that. With the right tool (easily purchased or made) I would get through that lock in less than a minute.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/28/17 08:36 AM

I have no idea how secure these things are.

The people at TOOOL might have some information about it. They might also have members who can open that combination lock faster than a person who knows the combination.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/29/17 02:58 PM

Nifty idea, but in addition to be picked by a thief or vandal, I'd worry about the lock mechanism freezing or corroding. smirk

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/29/17 04:46 PM

Nifty idea, but in addition to be picked by a thief or vandal, I'd worry about the lock mechanism freezing or corroding. smirk

Slightly off topic; always keep your locks lubed with a lock specific spray/lube. Keeps them from corroding and smooth.

Seems plenty of seized locks, which caused mayor frustration. But have or could have been fixed with a little lube.
Posted by: Quietly_Learning

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/29/17 09:12 PM

I read some Amazon reviews and corrosion or dirt in the lock or sides of the unit were the biggest reasons for low scores. Numerous people said they couldn't remove the cover or pull out the unit to use the hitch. It had a greater number of positive feedback but I'm skeptical.

I couldn't find how secure the combination lock is. It looks like a luggage style lock and those can be opened with minimal practice.

I would look to finding a different location on your vehicle.

Is your key small enough to fit in a prescription bottle to keep it from breaking? I've also seen a number of containers in dollar stores a key could be slipped into.
Posted by: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/30/17 01:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Quietly_Learning
I couldn't find how secure the combination lock is. It looks like a luggage style lock and those can be opened with minimal practice.

Hi,
if there is no rating listed,
you can safely assume its unrated,
like dollar store locks, great for gymsocks smile
ok look "ul rated hitch safe" yields this Mesa Safe All Steel MHK1 0.2 cu. Ft. Ca...k - Sam's Club

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/30/17 07:59 AM

Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Hi,
if there is no rating listed,
you can safely assume its unrated,
like dollar store locks, great for gymsocks smile
ok look "ul rated hitch safe" yields this Mesa Safe All Steel MHK1 0.2 cu. Ft. Ca...k - Sam's Club

Well that stands out quite a bit.

What is commonly used are the 'surf keysafes', which are generally the keysafe's shaped as giant padlocks. Then attached to somewhere hidden on the car. I use it for occasions certain occasions, but never leave it attached.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 01/30/17 01:35 PM

Is your key small enough to fit in a prescription bottle to keep it from breaking? I've also seen a number of containers in dollar stores a key could be slipped into.

My thinking too. I found a small tupperwear/rubbermaid container that's just the right size to protect that little fob. Thanks! I had a non-chipped key cut on the weekend too, that I can carry on my body, without worry or it getting smashed or going for a dunk. wink
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/11/17 03:00 AM

When I lived in Dallas, an unexpected overnighter was actually common. In my bag I had what I needed to sustain me for a minimum of twenty-four hours.

I had my bag on my person all the time, even when I go to a store. As you can imagine, it was a big bag.

This week on our trip I considered a way to reduce my gear while having everything I absolutely needed on my person.

I put a plan together and got a smaller bag.

The bag I now have has a large compartment and a small side pocket.

In the large compartment I have food and an 8 oz bottle of water.

In the side pocket I have my prescription medication, a modified Ultrilalight .3, bottle of aspirin, Kleenex Pocket Pack, lip balm and a protein bar in addition to the food I have in the large compartment.

Adjustments may be required.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/17/17 06:01 PM

I moved the protein bar to the large compartment, saving me space to put the EMT sheers in the side pocket.

Today I bought a 3 oz tube of sunscreen. It fits in the side pocket, barely. The side pocket is a bit crowded so I need to find an even smaller size sunscreen.

I'm currently without a flashlight. I considered the MAGLITE Solitaire.

http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights/comp...ml#.WKczxhB7Jmo

After seeing what the 3 oz tube of sunscreen did to the space in the side pocket, I considered either the Mini MAGLITE or the Mini MAGLITE PRO.

http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights/comp...ml#.WKcz5xB7Jmo
http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights/comp...ml#.WKc0NBB7Jmo

Both come with a belt holster, therefore I have another EDC option.

After test-driving it a few times, I'm happy with the smaller bag. It certainly is better organized. I just need to find smaller sunscreen.

There's a side note to this wordy post. I have my tool of choice: EMT sheers. As I looked at flashlights, I looked at emergency and survival tools. Whatever I get has to fit my needs.

Disclaimer: I have no association with MAGLITE other than I'm a fan. When the time comes, the mortician would need to put a MAGLITE in casket with me.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/17/17 06:44 PM

Reading the specs for the minimag and the Pro,I am surprised that they specify alkaline batteries. Surely they can accept NiMH rechargeables (Eneloops)?

If they can't, and one is restrictedto alkalines, that would be a deal breaker for me.....

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/17/17 07:09 PM

Know from experience MAGLITE runs on lithium. Haven't tried NiMh.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/17/17 07:42 PM

On the mini-Maglite spec sheet there's a field for "Power Management" and the answer is "No". What does "Power Management" mean? Does that encompass voltage regulation? If a battery starts at a Lithium primary 1.8 volts all may be okay, just running hot; at a NiMH 1.2 volts you may be close to where the light doesn't have enough volts to operate. Don't know... what does "Power Management" entail.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/17/17 07:58 PM

Don't know. None of their products has it.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/18/17 01:00 AM

On the mini-Maglite spec sheet there's a field for "Power Management" and the answer is "No". What does "Power Management" mean? Does that encompass voltage regulation? If a battery starts at a Lithium primary 1.8 volts all may be okay, just running hot; at a NiMH 1.2 volts you may be close to where the light doesn't have enough volts to operate. Don't know... what does "Power Management" entail.

In some other flashlights there's a buck/boost circuit that can handle cells that have a higher or lower voltage than ideal.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/18/17 03:56 PM

If there is a buck/boost circuit Maglite should probably answer "Yes" to the "Power Management" question. So a question that comes to mind with the mini-Maglite is since it has two modes - low & high - how is that done without power management circuitry? I like Maglites but one issue I have is that the company evolved their lights from direct drive Krypton incandescent into LED flashlights and its hard to tell what if anything changed besides the bulb.

I replaced the LED bulbs in my 1989 vintage D-cell Maglites with TerraLUX MiniStar bulbs. There are 140 lumen bulbs in both 2-3 & 4-6 C/D-cell versions as well as the 50 lumen MiniStar I have in my 2-D Maglite. These bulbs work great imo and the Maglite still focuses like it did with a Krypton bulb.

As to the question of voltage regulation: the MiniStar bulbs are "Electronically regulated for constant light output". So unlike the direct drive Krypton incandescent bulb it replaced, the Terralux bulbs come with their own (voltage?) regulation circuitry inside.

As I recall I got my Terralux bulbs from Batteryjunction.com, but they're also available on Amazon.

Edit: Need to add that if you do a search for "Maglite LED conversion" on Amazon you'll find similar replacement bulbs from Nite Ize, ABN, HQRP et al as well as Terralux. I've used the Terralux bulbs, can't comment on the others.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/18/17 05:43 PM

Some use pulse-width modulation (PWM) to produce multiple output modes -- basically at lower output the LED is turned on and off very rapidly. Some people find that they can see the flicker and it bothers them.

Other flashlights are current-controlled to produce multiple output modes -- this is more expensive but works better and doesn't have the flicker.

Buck/boost circuits, as I understand them, increase or reduce the voltage output of the power source. This is separate from PWM or current control circuits.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/18/17 09:20 PM

I've had the same experience as Russ using TerraLUX replacement bulbs in my 4 C & D and 2D Maglites.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/20/17 04:21 PM

I also have a positive experience with TerraLux. I have been using a replacement bulb in my mini mag for years. It throws a strong bright light and I have had no problems with it.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/20/17 11:58 PM

this is something i have been thinking about for awhile.
are these EDC,pocket survival kits and so on more for
their convenience items or real "survival"?
both I guess in the long run but unless you have these items
sealed away for the day you need them I would think they
would get used up,lost or wear out.i read about using big high
quality dog biscuits in a 10 essentials climbing kit so you
would not dip into it for a snack making it a survival kit
and not a snack bag.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/21/17 02:18 AM

My fear is that gear and food in an emergency only kit will fail or go bad at the moment it's most needed. I prefer pocket carry user gear to emergency only kits. I rotate snacks through so they're always fresh, gear is upgraded and batteries don't go bad.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/21/17 07:57 PM

snacks are important EDC in my house; In fact snacks and water get the most use

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/22/17 10:08 PM

I bought a Mini MAGLITE (to be carried on my belt), hand sanitizing wipes and Coppertone SPORT Sunscreen Stick.

https://www.coppertone.com/products/sport/stick/stick/

The sunscreen stick does fit in the side pocket but, being a stick applicant, it feels waxy. I need to find something small that does not feel waxy.

To further test drive my new bag, I carried it with me as I took a walk and discovered a different sort of problem: I'm out of shape. I walked all the time when I lived in the big city and stopped when I moved here.

Therefore, starting yesterday, I walked around the block a few times to get prepared physically.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/23/17 01:27 PM

Just a thought, Jeanette Isabelle. I hear there is a lot of golf being played down there, and golfers often like having sunscreen in their bags. It might be worth stopping in to the local Pro shop to see what they have.

Also, way to go on getting yourself moving again!

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/23/17 02:05 PM

Funny you should mention golf. I'm very close to a golf club.

http://www.royaloaksgolfclub.com/

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Royal Oaks Golf Club other than living within close proximity.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/23/17 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I bought a Mini MAGLITE (to be carried on my belt), hand sanitizing wipes and Coppertone SPORT Sunscreen Stick.

https://www.coppertone.com/products/sport/stick/stick/

The sunscreen stick does fit in the side pocket but, being a stick applicant, it feels waxy. I need to find something small that does not feel waxy.

Jeanette Isabelle,

Many of the most popular sunscreen brands sell a 3oz travel size. Check the travel sections in your local Walgreens, CVS or supermarket.

I use a Gotoob type bottle and fill it with my favorite sunscreen. I get a number of days use from a 3 oz size squeeze tube.

Below is a link to show what I'm discussing but there are many similar type bottles available in store travel sections. The key is to find one with a tight fitting lid. I put mine in a sandwich sized ziplock to be safe from spills.

http://www.humangear.com/gear/gotoob

***I just read the previous posts and see you already tried a 3oz size and it was too big. Gootube does make a 1.25 oz size container.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/23/17 06:07 PM

Many of the most popular sunscreen brands sell a 3oz travel size. Check the travel sections in your local Walgreens, CVS or supermarket.

I already tried the 3 oz size:

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Today I bought a 3 oz tube of sunscreen. It fits in the side pocket, barely. The side pocket is a bit crowded so I need to find an even smaller size sunscreen.

I need something even smaller than 3 oz.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/23/17 07:13 PM

Hi Jeanette Isabelle,

Sorry I missed that post. blush

The gotoob does come in 1.25 oz.
http://www.humangear.com/gear/gotoob

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/23/17 08:47 PM

You can get 1 oz, flip top/flip spout, squeeze bottles in the cosmetics and travel sections of department and convenience stores. I've been using these to carry sunscreen in my hiking pack and bow case.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/28/17 12:39 AM

Today I bought sunscreen small enough to fit in the side pocket and it works for me. I just removed the carabiner.

I bought Jack Link's Beef & Cheese Snacks and put one in the large compartment with the rest of the food. Sometimes I need something more than a protein bar. I put a second 8 oz bottle of water in the large compartment. Twice someone else needed water and in one of those situations I needed water after giving up mine.

One time I needed to walk home and I was sweating. Fortunately I passed by a car wash and bought a disposable towel from a vending machine. Today I bought these. At home I tested one to know if it would work. To open one of the packs required the use of my EMT shears. The towel also felt rough when opened. I went to the bathroom sink to simulate what my face would be like on a hot day. The towel immediately softened as I dried my face. I put the second towel in the side pocket of my bag.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 02/28/17 07:53 AM

Cool! I always wondered how those little "towel tablets" worked. I will pick some up myself.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 03/03/17 12:20 AM

I replaced the Purell wipes with a Germ-X single because the cloth is bigger, softer and does not quickly dry out. Also my skin is not left with any residue.

http://germx.com/products/germ-x-antibacterial-hand-wipes-singles-100-count-box/

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Germ-X other than I really like their products.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 03/03/17 01:52 AM

The little Purel wipes are not great. The larger ones that I liked were discontinued.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 03/11/17 08:19 PM

Not so much what is in my EDC, but how I carry -- I recently picked up a leather messenger bag with a main internal compartment 11" wide, 9.5 deep and 2-3" wide. This is the first bag I've had in a while that isn't nylon with a backpack form-factor.

A zippered pocket inside the main compartment will accommodate a tablet. My intent is to not stuff it and instead only carry what I actually need daily. I'll probably have a small FAK and a small tool kit, but otherwise stuff I use daily. It has a dedicated front pocket that's large enough for a large cell phone. Stuffing it would easily add up to more weight than would be comfortable. I'll experiment with how to carry water and how much.

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 03/24/17 03:22 AM

I might suggest a plastic trash bag and a spare cell battery

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 04/12/17 05:41 PM

Adding $60 cash. Or "GHC" Get home cash

Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) - 05/24/17 11:00 PM

more snacks. more water