SOLARAY PRO ZX-1

Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/14/15 03:36 AM

Anyone familiar with the following flashlight?

http://www.amazon.com/SOLARAY-ZX-1-Profe...sJBwb02S8FQM_tt

Mom is considering one or two of these. I'm not familiar with this brand and thought it best to check with those who know flashlights. She is looking to spend $50 per flashlight. She wants a compact unit.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/14/15 04:18 AM

I have not handled that specific unit but I've yet to see one of the "zoom head" flashlights that met with my expectations. A lack of an ANSI lumen and runtime claim is a red flag as well.

At that price point I might suggest a Nitecore EC20 bundle if the need is for well-made, reliable, multiple modes and 1000 real ANSI lumens. If the user isn't used to li-ion rechargeables and is willing to accept lower output in exchange for using AAs, the Nitecore MT21A and FourSevens Mini M2A are both excellent.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/14/15 10:40 AM

I'm a bit leery of the Chinese knockoff/OEM lights. When you stray off the beaten path (eg Surefire, Elzetta, Malkoff, Streamlight, JETBeam, Fenix, etc) you don't always know what you'll get quality-wise. Given that you could get a name brand light for that price I'd suggest passing on the Solaray. It could be good but for that money I'd prefer a known quality.

Candlepower Forum is a great place to learn about lights! You might want to drop in there and ask around.
Posted by: RNewcomb

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/14/15 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I'm a bit leery of the Chinese knockoff/OEM lights. When you stray off the beaten path (eg Surefire, Elzetta, Malkoff, Streamlight, JETBeam, Fenix, etc) you don't always know what you'll get quality-wise. Given that you could get a name brand light for that price I'd suggest passing on the Solaray. It could be good but for that money I'd prefer a known quality.

Candlepower Forum is a great place to learn about lights! You might want to drop in there and ask around.

This. There's a ton of Chinese knock-offs of this exact model too. I was checking them out a few weeks back, and after reading some negative reviews of them, ended up purchasing another knock off "Ultrafire" flashlight.

It's decent and bright for the $20 I spent on it, and was a cheap experiment into the world of LI-ION 18650's for me. I suspect I will be replacing it very soon with one from Fenix or Surefire.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/14/15 03:59 PM

I would look else where

My 26650 cell version was cheaper. A knockoff of a knockoff for about $10

Contever® Flashlight With 2200LM CREE XM-L T6 LED 18650/26650/AAA Torch

You might be better served by getting somthing from Olight, Fenix or Nitecore or even Thrunite.

There are flashlights than come with their own built in internal and external chargers if selecting the Lithium Ion Rechargeable cells.

http://www.amazon.com/S30R-II-rechargeable-Flashlight-EdisonBright/dp/B00QG1ZC3M/ref=sr_1_1?s

http://www.amazon.com/Olight-R40-Variabl...ords=olight+R40

http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-PD40-Flashli...rds=fenix+26650

For more conventional AA cells.

http://www.amazon.com/Diffuser-Nitecore-...ywords=Nitecore

Posted by: wileycoyote

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/14/15 04:45 PM

i tell most users not to buy flashlights requiring hi-voltage lithium-ion batteries. they require carefully monitored handling and charging. this list might help:

Using high-volt Li-Ion batteries require special care, so here are some rules/warnings:
-Do not overdischarge/overcharge
-Recharge drained batteries ASAP
-Do not short circuit
-Do not dispose of in fire
-Do not expose to extreme heat or water
-Only charge when you can be there watching
-REPEAT: NEVER CHARGE LI-ION CELLS UNATTENDED

the one you listed uses a 18650 3.7v 2400mAh. no thanks. too dangerous for the average user IMHO.

i'd suggest sticking with standard 1.5V batteries (AAA, AA, C & D) in alkaline or Eveready disposable lithium, even if you can't get the same super-bright output.

(remember when 30-60 lumens was considered the top-of-the-line brightest units available to even the military/police, just ten years ago? times sure do change...)

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/14/15 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
i tell most users not to buy flashlights requiring hi-voltage lithium-ion batteries. they require carefully monitored handling and charging. this list might help:

Using high-volt Li-Ion batteries require special care, so here are some rules/warnings:
-Do not short circuit

the one you listed uses a 18650 3.7v 2400mAh. no thanks. too dangerous for the average user IMHO.

Does this apply only to the rechargeable batteries or the CR123A as well?

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/14/15 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Does this apply only to the rechargeable batteries or the CR123A as well?

If CR123A cells are significantly mismatched, especially under higher loads, they can "vent with flame" which is not so good. If you use high quality, name brand cells, install them either into a single-cell device or brand-new from the same package into the same device, they're pretty safe.

I use a pulse-load battery tester to confirm that cells are matched. Voltage-based battery testers are not worthwhile.

If the user of a flashlight isn't willing to pay close attention to these issues, they should either use single-cell CR123A or AA/AAA lights.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/14/15 05:32 PM

CM nailed it. lithium-ion (Li-Ion) rechargeables are the ones to worry about. these are the ones you hear about burning up and bringing down planes, or the recent news of them frying hoover boards.

standard CR123 disposable (non-rechargeable) primary lithiums are safe (following CM's warnings and just don't try to recharge them).

also safe are 1.5V NiMH rechargeables, like Eneloop AA. i highly recommend Eneloops when paired with an intelligent high-quality charger.

i too prefer single cell units. no problems with mismatched batteries and fewer contact points to corrode.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/14/15 05:33 PM

Quote:
-Do not short circuit

Using LiFePo4 cells are safer, but with less capacity, but have double the number of charge cycles. The Nitecore D2 and D4 chargers will also charge LiFePo4 as well as Lithium Ion.

Lithium Ion and polymer technology are used widely, the same advice should also be applied to keeping an eye on your smart phone and Laptop as well. If using Lithium Ion cells such as 18650 and RCR123A ensure that they are protected cells.

Any cell that is short circuited presents a risk. It could be argued that a protected lithium cells may even be safer than even Alkaline or NiMh.

Be careful of the source and the quality of the Lithium Cells and ensure that they have protection circuits.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/14/15 05:41 PM

No battery, of any sort, should be short circuited, disposed of in a fire, or exposed to extreme heat or water. No rechargeable battery should be over charged or excessively drained, and it is always a good idea to be watchful and present when recharging any battery, not just li-ions.

Avoid the cheap junk and li-ions without protection circuits. Candlepower forum is a good starting point source for information. The payoff is that you will have a lot more light available, either lower light level for a much longer time, or much more light for a fairly short period.

I have two 18650 lights (Nitecore and Zebralight). They weren't cheap but they are very capable and versatile. I also have a bunch of AA and AAA lights, all using rechargeables. With a reasonable amount of attention, my portable light needs are well met.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/15/15 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
You might be better served by getting somthing from Olight, Fenix or Nitecore or even Thrunite.

There are flashlights than come with their own built in internal and external chargers if selecting the Lithium Ion Rechargeable cells.

http://www.amazon.com/S30R-II-rechargeable-Flashlight-EdisonBright/dp/B00QG1ZC3M/ref=sr_1_1?s

Mom is considering this flashlight. She knows not to leave a charging battery unattended and she will be getting plenty CR123A backups.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/15/15 01:44 AM

I don't own any Olights but they have a good reputation.
Posted by: JohnN

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/15/15 03:01 AM

Personally I think lithium batteries are a good thing and more specifically I really like the 18650 format. In fact, I've standardized on the 18650 format with an HDS Rotary for EDC, Zebralights for headlamps and inexpensive Solarforce lights with P60 format LED dropins for the cars, drawers and kits.

H600w Mk II 18650 XM-L2 Headlamp Neutral White
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F8J71LE

Solarforce L2P HAIII Forward Clicky flashlight Body Version 2015
http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=FB&s=7&id=354

Solarforce 320Lms XPG Cree Led (Orange Peel Reflector) Bulb
http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=RB&s=29&id=212

There are safer chemistry 18650 options these days like these:

Panasonic NCR18650PF 3.6V "2900mAh" Rechargeable Li-Ion Batteries (2-Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F58URPK

Also make sure you get a high quality charger like:

XTAR VP2 Independent 2-Channel Battery Charger
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K9T265Y

Yes, respect lithium batteries in general. Don't buy questionable lights, batteries and chargers*. However lithium powered lights enjoy almost no self discharge for long shelf life, power devices for a long time, rarely corrode in a light and provide fuss free charging and operation.

Rechargables mean not worrying what to do when your batteries are half charged -- just throw in a fresh battery and put the old one on the charger.

Also note many of the most risk associated with litium ion cells can be avoided by avoiding multi-cell lights and using good quality chargers with independent charging banks (such as the VP2).

-john

* Admittedly, the Solarforce drop-in P60 "bulbs" may not be super-premium, but they seem to be good enough, at least when it comes to the lower power units like the XPG lights.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/15/15 03:53 AM

A few more thoughts about lights.

After many years of buying many lights, I grew weary of proprietary formats*. While many of the lights referenced here are good lights, and often have performance benefits over the lights I currently have in my cars and kits, they have a big downside.... time.

Given enough time they will be obsolete, and because they are proprietary you will be forced to replace them if you want newer tech which can be expensive depending on how many lights you have.

As a result I switched to lights that use the P60 "drop in" style bulbs. While these lights have some inherent compromises, you can simply replace the bulbs when a newer, better, brighter, longer lasting LED tech comes along.

The Solarforce P2P forward clicky light bodies are very nice for any price and insanely nice for $23.

Combine that with the $11.50 single mode XPG drop in makes a really nice light for $34.50 light that you can later swap out the "bulb" later if you feel the desire.

-john

* Technically the P60 format isn't an open standard, but it tends to be close enough.

P60 thread on CPF: P60 sized led drop-ins (part 3)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=217252
Posted by: Pete

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/15/15 04:31 AM

let me make a constructive suggestion.
this is only one man's point of view.

I have owned a variety of flashlights in my time .. including the good old fashioned Maglites (big and small), a variety of LED lights, and one tactical flashlight that was so tough you could probably run a tank over it.

In the end, you just DON'T need a tactical flashlight that is so bright that you can illuminate the planet Mars. It's truly a waste of time, and a big waste of money.

If you get a small handheld flashlight that is dependable, has a few good LED bulbs, and works with standard batteries (esp. AA) - this is absolutely all that you need. You will save yourself a ton of money. Look at the suggestions on this thread, and get a very reliable LED light.

Just my $0.02

Pete

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/15/15 04:51 AM

For home use I've moved to the 26650 Lithium LiFePo4 Cells.

http://www.amazon.com/KINGSOLAR-trade-3300mAh-Rechargeable-Phosphate/dp/B00QR7X32W

Using a generic 15 CREE XM-L T6 4x26650 cell torch.

On the lowest setting the torch gives about 250-300 lumens for about 25-30hrs of runtime.

Does anyone out there make a good quality 4x26250 cell Cree MT-G2 flashlight?

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/15/15 07:45 AM

Originally Posted By: JohnN
A few more thoughts about lights.

After many years of buying many lights, I grew weary of proprietary formats*. While many of the lights referenced here are good lights, and often have performance benefits over the lights I currently have in my cars and kits, they have a big downside.... time.

Given enough time they will be obsolete, and because they are proprietary you will be forced to replace them if you want newer tech which can be expensive depending on how many lights you have.

As a result I switched to lights that use the P60 "drop in" style bulbs. While these lights have some inherent compromises, you can simply replace the bulbs when a newer, better, brighter, longer lasting LED tech comes along.

I'm a big fan of the P60 format, too. Most of my better lights use that system or one directly compatible. I'm a huge fan of Elzetta and Malkoff, and the two work great together (the Bravo and Charlie lights will both accept P60s and ship with a dropin licensed from Malkoff).

Speaking just for myself I think way too much is made of "features" on lights. To me the best feature is a lack of bells and whistles. I'm far enough down the rabbit hole light-wise to know what I want, and I don't want any multi-mode lights that have complicated UIs. My favorite UIs are the ones used by Elzetta and the JETBeam BC lines. They have one button that just does one thing, and two modes switched by twisting the bezel or tailcap respectively. This is ideal for me because they can easily be operated with one hand and will always come on in the mode I want. I'll grant that a multi-mode like the superb HDS would be fine but I like the KISS approach. I like to have a HIGH mode and a LOW mode. Hidden modes are fun but not useful very often. Theoretically I can see how a strobe/SOS could be useful but I don't really want it on my light. It's one more thing to fail or come on in the wrong mode.

I also think that "lumen drag racing" is a waste of time for most people. It would seem that brighter would be better, and sometimes it is, but lumens and/or candela does not tell the whole story. Beam color and throw are perhaps more important than the lumen ratings (especially given how extensively the ratings are "gamed" by vendors). A piercing blue 1,000 lumen light with a very tight spot will measure well and tick all the marketing boxes but it won't be very useful to change a tire or change a fuse. The human eye is more sensitive in the blue range, so it's easy to gain a higher output by biasing the LED blue. But CRI (color rendition index) is important. A more neutral temp around 4,000 K will render colors in a more lifelike manner. Just as an example, imagine you're stalled by the side of the road, looking at the wiring harness of your boat trailer trying to see which wire is which; it's very hard to tell the colors apart under very cool/blue light.

Lastly all the power and brightness in the world is pointless if the light isn't well made and durable. I've found the build quality of some (but not all) of the Chinese lights to be dubious at best. Especially the cheapo off brands. For instance years ago I picked up a bunch of AAA "Black Cat" lights for about $8 each and initially they were great. The color was a bit blue but they were rated at 100 lumens and had very good throw. But one by one every single one of them failed, with the switches going out or acting erratically. It seemed like a good value to pay $8 and get the same output and beam quality as the $20 Streamlight, but not if all eight of them fail within a year!

For most purposes a very durable light with a HIGH mode around 150 real lumens or better and a good "moonlight" or even "firefly" mode, biased around 4000-4500 degrees Kelvin, will get the job done. Just make sure you get a well made light that won't crap out on you.

Lastly, I do have some AA and AAA lights but all my "serious" lights run on CR123A. They're the best built batter around IMO. They pack a lot of power for the size, they're incredibly durable and reliable, and their cold weather performance is terrific. To date I've never known one to leak whereas I've seen dozens of alkaline batteries leak. They also have extremely low self discharge rates, and important consideration for a light that will be stored for long periods for emergency use.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/15/15 08:07 AM

Just as an FYI here are a couple of lights I really love for the price. First off BatteryJunction has an incredible deal on the JETBeam BC25 SE! I have two of them and paid $60 each; they're on sale here for under $40! In fact I might pick up another one or two. I keep one by the bed and one mounted on a Beretta Storm Carbine in 9mm. It falls short of the absolute build quality of an Elzetta but mine has taken a good bit abuse and kept ticking. At the current price I don't know of anything even close to as good. The old BC25 but great but the SE is 30% brighter and just as well built. On LOW mode it's still quite bright for everyday use with great runtime. On HIGH mode it's nearly car-headlight-bright.

Next is the JETBeam BC10. Same UI in all the BC lights but this one is much smaller, around 3" long. It's well made and bright, and I carried one for two years for EDC with no problems. Again, it might fall a bit short of my Surefire E1B in absolute build quality and fit and finish but it's at least as bright, and built to take a lot of abuse.

There are some other great lights by Fenix and Olight in the same general price range but anyone shopping for a $60 light would be advised to check out those two from JETBeam.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/15/15 02:58 PM

so many brands that require buying the extras (special batteries and chargers)...

for just a few dollars more, why not really simplify things and get your ma a simple tough 1xAAA (using regular alkaline or disposable lithium) 300-lumen american-made-&-warrantied 3-level small flashlight that she can always have on her?

Sureifre Titan Plus
http://www.surefire.com/titan-b.html
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/15/15 07:01 PM

JohnN....I just replaced an XM L2 module in a Solar Force L2M with the lower power option (.8 to 4.2v) XP-G module which has a low voltage shut down circuit for use with Li-ion 18650s...with a smooth reflector, this has become one of my favorites...

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=RB&s=10&id=210

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/15/15 10:21 PM

so many brands that require buying the extras (special batteries and chargers)...

for just a few dollars more, why not really simplify things and get your ma a simple tough 1xAAA (using regular alkaline or disposable lithium) 300-lumen american-made-&-warrantied 3-level small flashlight that she can always have on her?

Sureifre Titan Plus
http://www.surefire.com/titan-b.html

Basically it is a lot cheaper to buy that charger and switch to rechargeable batteries as opposed to messing with leaky alkalines. Even without a leak, your good rechargeables will save money in the long run. Get a charger that can handle AA and AAA and as a bonus, lith-ions, which hold a lot more energy.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/15/15 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
...messing with leaky alkalines...

...good rechargeables will save money in the long run...

i concur

i use rechargable 1.5V Eneloops AA and AAA for everyday needs

i use primary disposable lithiums in flashlights used for longterm storeage, in survival pack, jockey box, bedside draw

i only use aklalines when those others are out-of-juice and i need power now (ie: placed in tiny ziplock bags, i leave a few alkalines in each vehicle for when my Eneloops or lithiums run out)
Posted by: Russ

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/16/15 12:28 AM

Something similar -- I use rechargeable AA & AAA batteries for daily users, but for batteries in kits I store lithium primary batteries with the flashlight but not in the flashlight. I have seen lithium batteries fail and don't want that happening in a light that does not see regular use and will be needed when it is seen.

As for the light in question: there are enough good to great flashlights available at that price point that are known and have a rep. Unless you are buying to evaluate, why experiment. Get a light with a good rep so you can trust it.

There is no free lunch; more lumen output generally means a shorter battery life. I have not seen a need to go past 200 lumen, YMMV.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/16/15 01:58 AM

The Solaray light is priced 2 1/2 times what it should be. Similar light SAME graphics on head

If you get either of these, do NOT try to use 2 X CR123 batteries! Unlike the Fenix lights, they will not handle it. It will run very bright for a few seconds & burn out.

For about $50 per light, I would look at the Fenix E25 or the Fenix PD32.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/16/15 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
JohnN....I just replaced an XM L2 module in a Solar Force L2M with the lower power option (.8 to 4.2v) XP-G module which has a low voltage shut down circuit for use with Li-ion 18650s...with a smooth reflector, this has become one of my favorites...

I find the XPG to be a good option. Bright but not too power hungry which means it doesn't need a fancy driver or heat handling. Decent focus with a smooth reflector or soft focus with an orange peel reflector.

The high power LEDs need high end drivers and heat handling and you really have to shop around for someone who builds them right for it to take advantage of the LED and be reliable. And then you are going to pay a fair amount.

The high power LEDs also require better batteries.

I do have a few high power modules, but reserve them for specific applications.

-john

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/16/15 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
The Solaray light is priced 2 1/2 times what it should be. Similar light SAME graphics on head

I would avoid buying a budget battery charger. In the case of lithium batteries it can be a safety concern.

This guy seems to do a good job reviewing how well chargers charge within battery charging specification.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20Xtar%20VP2%20UK.html

-john

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/16/15 05:44 AM

Might want to do a little research on the Titan over at Candlepower Forums. I think the concensus is that it's not the out-of-the-park homerun you'd expect from SF.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/16/15 08:36 AM

BTW, I think the CR123A is the best available cell for high powered lights. They're more energy dense and higher voltage than AA/AAAs and will typically run harder, longer. They're not really hard to find, either. Every Wal-Mart I've ever been to has them (although the price isn't great). True, you won't find them at every gas station or anything though. AA/AAA have a place but for my main light I prefer CR123A. I buy mine in bulk online for around $1/ea. If I can carry the light carrying spare cells isn't usually a problem.
Posted by: Pete

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/16/15 03:21 PM

I will return to my comment.

This forum is digressing into "gear obsession". This type of mindset is encouraged by many manufacturers who want to sell exotic products. Do people really need a "tactical flashlight"? Why on Earth would we need such a creature?

Believe me, I've been down the same road. I was semi-obsessed with high power flashlights many years ago. I bought a couple, to the great detriment of my bank account. But now that I look back, honestly - how many times did I ever need a flashlight with a hi-power beam? Maybe ONCE in my entire life.

Likewise, how many times did I ever need a flashlight with a case made out of super-strength metal? Honestly, I cannot ever remember SLAMMING my flashlight into the head of a charging rhino, or the forehead of a puzzled pachyderm.

On the other hand, there were a million times (or close) when I needed to find a simple flashlight in the dark .. usually because it was the middle of the night and I needed to go and pee in the bushes. I couldn't always find the stupid thing, and sometimes when I did - it wouldn't work.

My humble vote is for a simple LED flashlight with AA batteries. Not rechargeable. Just ordinary batteries.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/16/15 03:37 PM

There's a lot to be said for an LED flashlight that runs off of AAs. A modern unit with lithium primary batteries sits in my wife's emergency kit bag and performs very well for its size and price. This is an excellent recommendation for many flashlight users.

For myself, I frequently avail myself of the longer runtimes and higher output that other battery chemistries allow. Do I always need those things? No. But I've needed them before, will almost certainly need them again, and they're sure nice to have at other times.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/16/15 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Pete
I will return to my comment.

This forum is digressing into "gear obsession".

Of course we are. Such obsession is implicit in "equipped to survive," the very title of this forum. What kind of heresy are you promoting?

A lot of our discussions tend to remind me of wine connoisseurs, delving endlessly into minute differences that really have no great practical value. Instead of wine fragrance, we can discuss endlessly the virtues of this or that variety of knife steel, or the different tints or CRI of flashlight beams, etc., but it is fairly harmless fun.

But your point is well taken. I was hiking toward camp a couple of weeks ago after a nice productive day in the field as sunset occurred. I pressed on through civil twilight, and then nautical twilight. Approaching astronomical twilight, it got really dark and it was time to get a light. I had two very nice headlamps in my pack (total investment exceeding $100) but it was easier to just reach into my pocket, grab the EDC light on my key ring, giving me about 100 lumens,(quite sufficient) and continue on my way for the final mile.

The important thing about any flashlight is that when you mash on the button, it will turn on so you won't have to curse the darkness. Everything else is details and secondary.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/16/15 04:56 PM

Might want to do a little research on the Titan over at Candlepower Forums. I think the concensus is that it's not the out-of-the-park homerun you'd expect from SF.

i believe those negative comments were mostly about the lens o-ring and LED not being perfectly centered/mounted, plus some flickering issues, in early versions. i'm under the impression the surefire has since fixed those problems and replaced all problem units.

the other major complaint is that the 300-lumen burst mode doesn't give a full hour run time as stated in the sale literature (not that i've ever needed that much power for more than a few seconds/minutes).

here's a link to a good 12-page CPF thread on it: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?407689-TITAN-PLUS
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/16/15 08:19 PM

i believe those negative comments were mostly about the lens o-ring and LED not being perfectly centered/mounted, plus some flickering issues, in early versions. i'm under the impression the surefire has since fixed those problems and replaced all problem units.

the other major complaint is that the 300-lumen burst mode doesn't give a full hour run time as stated in the sale literature (not that i've ever needed that much power for more than a few seconds/minutes).

here's a link to a good 12-page CPF thread on it: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?407689-TITAN-PLUS

I am finishing up my review and, yes, the initial QC issues appear to have been addressed. I am liking the light overall.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/16/15 11:59 PM

It is worthwhile to consider battery compatibility and/or the ability to transfer power across all the electrical gadgets you might be using. My GPSr is powered by two AAA batteries, which inclines me toward a light powered by AAAs, since I could mix and match, if the necessity arises. Power packs and rechargers (Goal Zero Switch 8 and 10 come to mind - I am sure there must be others) are available which can be fitted with accessories so that they can serve as lights, and also recharge one's cell phone, etc. - something that can be rather useful.

Of course one must deal with the profound disadvantage that none of this gear could in any sense be termed "tactical." None of them are even available in camo....
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/17/15 12:22 AM

Absolutely! The similar light is only for price comparison. I've got the Nitecore chargers for charging at home. Travel charger is a USB charger that also works as a phone charger. It won't be charging 18650's on normal trips.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/17/15 04:39 AM

I don't think it's really a "gear obsession." Well, there is a boys-and-their-toys factor, I'll admit. But speaking just for myself I finally learned that sometimes the best is the cheapest in the long run. And I've learned through hard knocks, having gear fail and really inopportune time. One story that I have probably relayed here before, but I'll repeat it now: Many years ago I was fishing at a very remote lodge in northern Canada. The place had cabins but no plumbing, etc. There were outhouses a good ways from the cabins. One very very dark and moonless night I had to visit the privy and grabbed my flashlight to negotiate the tangled and overgrown path. All was well until I got to the door of the outhouse and had my bulb break/burn out! The whole way back to camp in the dark I was sure I could feel the black bears right behind me! blush

I'm not trying to convince anyone to spend $250 on a light but I'm strongly of the opinion that you get what you pay for. At ETS we discuss being prepared; this takes on many meanings. It can be training and skills, it can be gear and equipment. Ideally it's both. Just as a wise person carries a PSK when out and about I think it's prudent to select quality gear. Do you need an HDS Rotary or $500 McGizmo Haiku? Strictly speaking, no, probably not. But there's a lot of ground between the $500 objets d'art and a $2 Rayovak.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/17/15 05:07 AM

BTW I'm glad to hear the QC issues with the Titan have been addressed, but I am still bummed to that's not infinitely adjustable like the original Titan. I think I'll probably get a Peak Eiger instead.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/17/15 09:02 AM

Quality items generally are nicer to use and stay good for a very long time. Cheap stuff are generally not as nice to use and break more quickly (plenty of exceptions).

People just want more and more. More lumens, more bells, more whistles and more in general. The thing with quality items is that you buy once and don’t have to replace it for a very long time. In practise I see people talking about quality and durability and then they replace them in a few months’ time, because the next thing came out…

Personally I think its good practise for your wallet and the environment to do proper research and then buy a quality item, which you will use for years. Buying thing which uses common available batteries, will keep it going for years to come. I’m still using the same Fenix light I bought in early 2009, loaded with Eneloop batteries which are even older. Worn out one of the holster for the light, but just replace the holster.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/17/15 12:39 PM

occasionally I purchase an item just to "check it out"... examples would be the Goal Zero 7w panel, and the Nitecore charger and 18650s cells....compared to some previously required classes, the education is cheap...the switch to AA Eneloops for my emergency hurricane electronics and lighting came from lessons learned...I don't really need an SBR, but it was fun to build ... while I have a Malkoff module for an old 6P, the rest of my P60 lights are G2s off the prize table, or Solar Force hosts, with XM L2 or XP-G (for the 18650) modules (foil wrapped)

on the practical side, I'm a retired high school teacher, and still like to attend athletic events at school...as a gun free zone, a mongo candlepower pocket light is a legal deterrent option... if you have accidentally flashed yourself, you know how disorienting it is for a couple of minutes

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/17/15 02:21 PM

Usually in the array of items from which we are choosing, there is a "sweet spot," where you receive great value and utility for a very reasonable price. For instance, Mora knives, at something like $15 or so, do everything that a $200 (and up) item will provide IMHO.

On the other hand, there are times when one needs to spend real money. Years ago, I got out of the military and purchased fundamental outdoor gear. i had to spend $100 for a down sleeping bag, which was a huge sum in those days, but the baag was warm, light, and very well made. I used it for the next twenty years, in some very cold situations (well below zero) until it was stolen. In retrospect, it was a fantastic bargain.

Shop carefully, and acquire the knowledge and skills along with the gear. All are critical for being well equipped.
Posted by: Ren

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/17/15 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Banggood has the S15-R (AA sized) Olight comes with 14500 lion and charging base for under $23 when using discount code, M4DS15R

http://www.banggood.com/Olight-S15R-Bato...t-p-948431.html
Posted by: Burncycle

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/19/15 04:38 AM

I've shifted away from CR123 primaries, they're not cheap and you can't recharge them. I like guilt free lumens wink so I opted for rechargeable lights.

If you decide to do it, listen to the advice on the folks above and do a couple days of research. There are forums out there just for flashlights and you can learn a great deal.

I settled on 18650's as my go to battery form factor. If you decide to go for this route, don't cheap out on the batteries, get good quality ones and avoid lights that run them in series if you can help it. I use protected panasonic 3400mah 18650s.

The two lights that have been out-standing in my experience without breaking the bank are...

1. Zebralight SC600 Mk II (~$70)
As long as you don't need a "tactical" light, this is a pocket rocket. It's about the size of a Surefire 6P / other 2x CR123 lights, and it's incredibly bright. More floody than throw, but still throws due to it's sheer output. Small enough to EDC, walking the dog, etc. I carry it when I know I'm going to be out after dark.

2. Blackshadow Terminator (~$75)
I use this on crash scenes, river rescues and other work that needs what amounts to a portable flood light. Again more floody than throw, but with the incredible output it throws quite well as well, never fails to impress. It would be good to have in a car, or in the house for looking around the property.

Slightly higher than the $50 price point, but IMO a worthy investment. Avoid the inexpensive chinese stuff you see. Some are gems, but you'll have to do a lot of research and check out reviews to find them. I got tired of having lights crap out on me and ended up doing research and spending a little more but have been really happy with them.

Other than that, I do have a streamlight microstream that's always on me. Not too fancy, but simple, small, and just the right amount of light and cheap enough I won't cry if I lose it!

Also this has been one of the most useful websites I've been able to find that compares a lot of the popular brands
http://fonarevka.ru/#

Click on the english flag on the upper right. If you press the scene button on the upper right as well, you can compare indoor shots, outdoor shots, longer ranged shots and close up shots. It's a great tool

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/19/15 05:02 AM

While I have shied away from rechargeables in the past I'm considering getting an Elzetta body bored out for 18650's just to play with.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/19/15 02:47 PM

I'll bet you will dig 18650's- they are sort of AA's on steroids. I am very happy with a Zebralight headlamp powered by an 18650 (they have several variations) - the lamp unit can be detached from the headstrap and used in the hand, if desired. Several other manufacturers also market 18650 headlamps.

I also like my Nitecore P12, a definite thrower. It is not the only good one out there I am sure...

It does pay to do your homework

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/19/15 03:20 PM

for mom, how about a simple familiar-looking 300-lumen surefire?

its a new 3-level simple-to-operate keychain-fob USB-rechargeable, $80 retail that discounts for about $70

factory page - http://www.surefire.com/sidekick-a.html

here's a 6-page review on CPF - http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/show...-Keychain-Light

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/19/15 03:33 PM

Cruising through the REI website, I encountered Black Diamond's Ember Power Light, basically an 18650 battery with charging cables for pumping up cell phones, etc. Cost is $50.

No experience, but it looks like a pretty good, versatile bit of gear. Output is claimed to be 150 lumens, which should be quite adequate for most tasks.
Posted by: RNewcomb

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/21/15 06:48 PM

for mom, how about a simple familiar-looking 300-lumen surefire?

its a new 3-level simple-to-operate keychain-fob USB-rechargeable, $80 retail that discounts for about $70

Alright, I'm interested in that for my keychain..
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/21/15 10:51 PM

Surefire Titan & Titan Plus Review: http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=664

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/22/15 12:14 AM

Great review!

If your price point is lower for a keyring light, I can recommend the Thrunite Ti Titanium, available for $20-$30 online. I've been carrying one for some time and I really like it. It runs fine on primary or rechargeables AAAs and doesn't have the output of the Surefire, but has a very low low.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/22/15 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Surefire Titan & Titan Plus Review: http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=664

I told Mom about those flashlights; she wants a bright light with some distance.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/22/15 01:27 PM

JI... a size reference for your Mom... I happen to like Solar Force, YMMV... my hurricane LED is a Fenix E21 (no longer produced) with AA Eneloops

top... M3 head (XM L2)with deep smooth reflector on a L2N body and body tube extension for 3 x 123 cells... this is a flame thrower... will light up the alleyway for the entire block...3 modes

center... P60 size, currently with XP-G single mode low voltage light module for 18650... the module has smooth reflector and low voltage cut off circuit... this is my first venture into 18650s, and I will purchase protected cells next time... really throws a tight beam due to the smooth reflector... the XM L2 module it replaced had more flood...this is my current favorite... the L2M (modular) host comes apart, and the low voltage module can be used as a weapons or short pocket light with a single 123... with the regular voltage XP-G module, with 2 x 123

bottom.. Z2 (Fenix E12 size)... my current pocket EDC light in addition to a Fenix E05 on my key ring...it runs on Eneloop AAs and has 3 modes, high comes on first ... the E12 low comes on first

have her pick a battery type, or overall size for light... everyone has a favorite

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/22/15 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Great review!

If your price point is lower for a keyring light, I can recommend the Thrunite Ti Titanium, available for $20-$30 online. I've been carrying one for some time and I really like it. It runs fine on primary or rechargeables AAAs and doesn't have the output of the Surefire, but has a very low low.

i agree CM. i have a couple ThruNite Ti. best cheapie 1xAAA and also amazing bright at a true 160 lumens on high.

and great review doug! nicest most helpful & honest review yet!!!!

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/23/15 12:07 AM

JI... size comparison of a single 123 cell Solar Force L2M P60 size reflector, and a single 123 cell Sreamlight Pro Tac 1L

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/23/15 04:45 AM

Solarforce must be OEM'd by a better known company. I wonder which one? I'll have to ask around at CPF.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/23/15 05:19 AM

FourSevens Mini ML-X provides 262 lumen from a light 2.3' long and 0.8 " diameter, one CR123A.
FourSevens Mini ML-X

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/23/15 07:50 AM

Okay, the torch geeks at CPF say that Solarforce is its own company and makes their own lights. Apparently there are a lot of knockoffs of them out there, too. From what I've been told the real Solarforce lights are pretty decent, ranging from good to excellent.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/23/15 01:50 PM

Phaedrus... a very knowledgeable contributor on another forum also rates the Convoy bodies (Mountain Electronics)very highly...I have 3 of the P6 size Solar Force bodies and about 6 of the XP-G and XM-L2 modules....L2 series and nitrolon G2s... so far they are beyond my expectation at the price point... I do foil wrap the modules in the aluminum bodies to conduct heat to the bodies

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/24/15 05:55 AM

I'm not quite as far down the rabbit hole as some of those light geeks but I do know that Mountain Electronics has some great stuff. They make some great custom electronics and offer a good array of other, more value oriented stuff.

Also, just as an FYI right now Amazon has a screaming deal on the incan Surefire 6P! Just $28 plus shipping for a grand total of around $35. Granted, to update it with an LED engine will be a few more bucks but the basic body/host is fantastic. I have two of them myself, one with a Malkoff M61L and another waiting on the arrival of a Malkoff M61WL.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/24/15 01:00 PM

my original 6P has a Malkoff module... rides in my carry bag... the heat sink is massive

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/24/15 04:06 PM

Les - Seriously looking at the Malkoff upgrades for my SF 6P and Maglites. Thanks for pointing me there.

The Maglite 325 lumen drop-in looks very compelling for my 3D Maglite. It already has an LED bulb as a direct replacement for the incan, but this unit has much more out the front.

That Maglite upgrade should give Jeanette's mom the reach she wants.

OTOH the link Phaedrus posted above has the SF 6P at a good price and shows a 650 lumen SF drop-in module. She could get both of those for Mom and have a good brand name in a package smaller than a Maglite D cell.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/24/15 04:30 PM

I'm fine with carrying a 2D or 3D MAG-LITE in my bag but Mom wants something compact.

When Mom wanted suggestions for a flashlight from flashlight enthusiasts, she had no idea what she was getting herself into. She will study this further when we get back to Florida.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/24/15 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

When Mom wanted suggestions for a flashlight from flashlight enthusiasts, she had no idea what she was getting herself into. She will study this further when we get back to Florida.

Jeanette Isabelle

Hahaha! File that under 'be careful what you wish for'! grin I'm not as bad of a flashlight geek as some but even I have over a dozen high powered LED lights including three from Elzetta, a bunch of Surefires and a bunch of Malkoff engines.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/24/15 07:02 PM

JI... one further comment... the Surefire 6P is a forward push on button...you have to hold the button forward... for continuous light you twist the end cap... very fool proof, no switch to malfunction...a lot of lights are "reverse click", that is you push the button, and the light comes on when the button is released...if your Mom wants a light with multiple light settings (most of the LED drop in modules have this option) this is typically the way the light modes are selected, though, some employ a rotating bezel or additional switch

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/24/15 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
Les - Seriously looking at the Malkoff upgrades for my SF 6P and Maglites. Thanks for pointing me there.

The Maglite 325 lumen drop-in looks very compelling for my 3D Maglite. It already has an LED bulb as a direct replacement for the incan, but this unit has much more out the front.

That Maglite upgrade should give Jeanette's mom the reach she wants.

OTOH the link Phaedrus posted above has the SF 6P at a good price and shows a 650 lumen SF drop-in module. She could get both of those for Mom and have a good brand name in a package smaller than a Maglite D cell.

I'm a big Malkoff fan! I have a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff M61L. My other 6P is sitting here waiting for a Malkoff M61WL that should be here shortly after Xmas. Malkoff used to manufacture the light engine for Elzetta lights but a while back Elzetta purchased the license/worked out an agreement to make their own M60 modules. One of my Elzettas has the stock Malkoff/Elzetta engine and one my spare Elzetta Bravo is running on a Malkoff M61N.

Just for reference the M61 line is awesome! They're drop in for any of the standard 6P type lights. The electronics are fully potted meaning they're assembled and filled with an epoxy resin. I can't even imagine what it would take to break one. The reflector was designed by Don McLeish, famous in the electronics world for the McClicky switch. All of their modules offer a fantastic ratio of spot-to-spill IMO. They offer a variety of tints and output levels. The common ones are the M61, the M61L (and variants) and the M61LL (and variants). The standard tint is probably around 5000 K with the N versions being closer to neutral. For incan fans they offer the W line which is far warmer, very similar in tint to the old hotwires of the past. Seems like the W are around 3,000 K but I'd have to look it up.

With a Malkoff dropin you get great output. They don't boast huge numbers but their specs are honest and state OTF (out the front) lumens. Kind of like horsepower at the rear wheels vs horsepower at the flywheel, OTF lumens is a measure of what the light will actual do in real use. Realistically lumens is just one part of the picture. You can easily create a test that will allow you to hit a high rated lumen spec while not really being all that useful. For example our eyes are more sensitive to bluer light and LEDs put out more power in the bluer part of the spectrum. So makers can create a real "flamethrower" by biasing it blue and running it really hard. Another thing is that legally the LED only has to make that rated output for a very brief time. So many- perhaps most- flashlight makers will regulate the light to put out max power for a few minutes, then step it down to avoid burning out the emitter and killing the battery. The end result is that you rarely get the performance you expect to get when you read the specs.

But Malkoffs are regulated differently. They will run at their rated output for a very long time. The entire head is a huge brass heat sink that dissipates heat extremely well. An M61 module weighs almost as much as an empty Surefire G2 nitrolon body! The ability to shed heat means the light can run for a long time without overheating the emitter. Most of the Malkoffs will run at rated output for many hours til the voltage drops out of regulation, then they'll give you a good long taper til the battery is spent.

Even the regular/standard engine has pretty good color. It's a little blue but not so blue as most of the Chinese lights. My M61L is subjectively whiter than any of my JETBeam lights. If you want max brightness the standard is your best bet. The standard/high modules are around 325 OTF lumens with around 2 hours-ish of run time. The L version drops the output to around 200 lumens or a bit more with around 5 hours of runtime. The LL will go for ten hours and occasionally you can find a limited run of LLL that will go for over a day at full output (albeit only around 50 lumens).

To me the N's are the sweet spot. They're pretty neutral in tint yet still pretty powerful.

A Malkoff module will set you back around $40 plus shipping but I think they're well worth the money. I have five or six already and will probably get more down the road.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/27/15 06:01 PM

On the subject of LED lights with 18650 batteries -- I've noticed that 18650's come in mAh ratings of 2300, 2600, 3100 and 3400. Obviously 3400 batteries hold the most energy but at a higher $price. Are there other trade-offs? Do the 3400's have a faster power drain in storage or are they all about the same? TIA

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/27/15 06:24 PM

I've found that the 3400 mAh units I own are noticeably larger than smaller capacity units. Also, they may or may not come with a button on top. Buttonless tops may prevent cells from working with specific gear, always confirm.

My experience has also been that cell manufacturer has a lot more to do with self-discharge rates than rated capacity.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/27/15 06:39 PM

How do Nitecore Li-ion batteries rate? As I recall they are button top.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/27/15 08:27 PM

How do Nitecore Li-ion batteries rate? As I recall they are button top.

They are. My personal experience with them has been that they are outstanding. I have standardized on the 3400 mAh model for all critical applications.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/28/15 04:17 PM

Thanks. I didn't know enough re self-discharge for the Nitecore 3400 mAh battery, so I ordered a charger which comes with a 3400 and also a couple 2600 batteries. If the discharge on the 3400 is on par with the 2600 then I'll order a few more of the 3400 capacity batteries. I've got a few lights besides the SF which can use 18650 batteries.

Remember when a Surefire incandescent was considered bright? wink

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/28/15 04:55 PM

Remember when a Surefire incandescent was considered bright? wink

I can remember when any light at all from your light was considered a success. A carbide cap light was considerably more dependable...

I have had good, albeit limited experience with Nitecore 3400mh batteries

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/28/15 11:49 PM

On the subject of LED lights with 18650 batteries -- I've noticed that 18650's come in mAh ratings of 2300, 2600, 3100 and 3400. Obviously 3400 batteries hold the most energy but at a higher $price. Are there other trade-offs? Do the 3400's have a faster power drain in storage or are they all about the same? TIA

Actually you cannot trust the mfg specified capacities in many cases. Take a look at the following reviews to get an idea of some of the better models.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650Summary%20UK.html

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/29/15 04:19 PM

Now that I've shifted slightly to the dark side and have invested in an 18650 and LED upgrade for my SF 6P, I added to it by ordering a ThruNite TN12 (neutral white). The neutral white version is supposedly 20% less out the front as cool white, so this one should max out at 840 lumen (Turbo), 296 lumen on high and 116 lumen on medium if my arithmetic is correct. The numbers advertised are for the cool-white version and are higher.

The TN-12 had good reviews on Amazon; I'll let you know how it feels and if I notice any issues once it arrives.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 12/29/15 05:22 PM

Russ...my older SF 6P (originally an incandescent) will not take the IMR 18650 cell that does fit in the Solar Force L2M body...

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 01/01/16 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
Russ...my older SF 6P (originally an incandescent) will not take the IMR 18650 cell that does fit in the Solar Force L2M body...

Yes, you cannot assume lights designed to fit 2 x 123a cells will accomidate an 18650 as they are slightly larger diameter. For these lights you can typically use 17670 cells, although at the cost of capacity.

-john

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 01/02/16 06:29 AM

If you're really attached to the light you can have it bored out to accept an 18650. It's not super expensive. Or you can get a replacement body already bored out. Overready is one source but there are several others.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 01/02/16 12:20 PM

http://oveready.com/

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 01/02/16 01:25 PM

I'm not as bad of a flashlight geek as some but even I have over a dozen high powered LED lights including three from Elzetta, a bunch of Surefires and a bunch of Malkoff engines.

I have three. All are either 2D or 3D LED MAG-LITE. My first, the one that got scratched up in the accident, is an incandescent converted to a LED.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 01/02/16 02:56 PM

Thanks. I have a feeling the Surefire lights (6P and 6R) will stay with CR123A batteries. The batteries incoming will work in other lights already capable of taking the ever so slightly fatter 18650's.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 01/03/16 04:54 AM

I have a lot of affection for the 6P. Even though I have three Elzettas and a number of newer Surefires I still like my 6Ps converted to LED with Malkoff modules. They're built like a tank! Just really solid and useful. I love the lack of bells and whistles, too- all they do is light up on setting, HIGH. The lockout tailcap is great if you stow one in your pack, too...no more finding the light came on in your bag and died before you needed it.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 01/03/16 11:54 AM

re: 6P with Malkoff module...the module has the circuitry epoxy filled (potted) and encased in a massive brass heat sink ... the switch is forward on for momentary, and for continuous light the tail cap is tightened... you can aluminum foil wrap the module to provide a snug fit to further transfer heat to the flashlight body

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 01/03/16 05:42 PM

I have my doubts, but is there a Li-Ion battery replacement for the NiCd B65 battery used in the SureFire 6R? It would have something like an 18900'ish designation (significantly longer than the 18650). TIA

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 01/03/16 06:09 PM

Could you use an 18650 plus a spacer (either purchased or manufactured)?

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 01/03/16 06:40 PM

I suppose I could, but if that was the only option I would remove the tube extension that turns a 6P into a 6R. Just looking for a longer Li-Ion battery that takes advantage of the 6R length.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 01/03/16 09:21 PM

dead horse kicking... if you are thinking about venturing into the 18650 LED light arena, I could not be happier with my low voltage (.8-4.2v)smooth reflector single mode XP-G R5 Solar Force module... I would recommend a protected 18650 cell in addition to the circuit with the module... and a good multi chemistry charger

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product.php?sname=&s=10&t=RB

and the modular Solar Force L2M (modular) host

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=FB&s=2&id=485

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 01/04/16 12:35 AM

Alrighty then... someone here turned on the gene I'd taken so much effort to suppress -- "Hi, I'm Russ and I'm a flashaholic"
Quote:
Hi Russ

So the Thrunite TN-12 mentioned upthread arrived today and all 840 lumens will be going with when the dog gets walked tomorrow morning. I really need to see what that light does outside when it's dark. It is the neutral white version and appears to be a straight white tint. Cool white will get you the highest lumen numbers but lumens take a back seat to color imo, Warm white is too yellow and cool white is too blue, neutral is the way to go. YMMV.

A couple 18650 batteries came with it and they will not fit in the Surefire 6P -- end of discussion, not going to happen.

LesSnyder's comments regarding the Solarforce L2M are very compelling though. Parts seem to be compatible with Surefire except that the tube will accept 18650 batteries. I'd like to hear more on Solarforce wrt compatibility and modularity with Surefire.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 01/04/16 02:25 AM

[Deleted by Jeanette Isabelle]

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 01/04/16 03:21 AM

Russ... the bezel and tail cap are interchangeable between my 6P and L2M... the L2M is a "clicky" tail cap ..., which might be easier to switch between modes if a multi mode module is chosen..the L2M is slightly longer than the 6P... the low voltage XP-G module will also work with a single 123 with the single cell configuration of the L2M, which might have use as a weapon's light... I have a second extension tube (adds one 123) on another Solar Force light that allows 3 x 123 as the M3 head's XM-L2 module can handle 9v... with that extension tube on the L2M, 2 x AA Eneloops work, but rattle around a little

single cell configuration compared to a Streamlight Pro Tac 1L

if you want to light up the alleyway, the 3 x 123 with a M3 (XM-L2) head is a flame thrower

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 01/04/16 05:05 AM

Thanks Les. I didn't see a need for a 1x123A light so I ordered the L2P instead of the L2M. Commonality/compatibility seems to be what Solarforce is about. Thanks.

BTW the Thrunite TN12 casts a very nice beam. It's narrower than a flood, but it isn't a pencil beam either. Both the medium & high settings (down from Turbo) lit up a good portion of the back yard -- nice. Tomorrow AM at the park I'll get a better idea how it lights up an open area. Lotta light for something you can drop in your pocket.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 01/04/16 01:40 PM

I didn't read the fine print, and got the L2M entirely by accident

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 01/04/16 03:20 PM

If only all our accidents were so useful. smile

Meanwhile, the Thrunite TN12 does a respectable job of lighting up the night.
Comments IMO:
- The TN12 is fairly light in weight (w 2xCR123A) and carries easily in a jacket pocket.
- The light turns on in the mode it was in when turned off.
- Neutral white color rendition IMO is excellent.
- Lumen output range is very good, with a nice separation between levels.
- Switchology is easy, the buttons have a good feel, not mushy.

It is now my morning EDC light, it has a much lower low and its High mode is double the output of the light I was carrying, Turbo is 5x higher.

No coyotes this morning, but the light reflected off rabbit eyes that I would not have otherwise seen. The rabbits were thankful for the lack of 'yotes.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 01/12/16 09:02 PM

I didn't comprehend everything about the SolarForce product line either. The SolarForce light I'm building up is something of a project and a toy, although it will undoubtedly be a very bright light. When I ordered the K3 head I also ordered the extension tube so the light would have two 18650 batteries. Thing is, what to do with the L2P head? Then I saw a SolarForce two battery L2 tube and a tailcap that would be more suitable for a larger/longer light.

Bottom line, by the time this build is complete I'll have a three battery L2P tube (two battery main tube pls extensio) with the K3 head, and enough extra parts (the original L2P body) to build a straight-up 1x18650 L2P with a SolarForce 3 mode LED module. Both should be good lights (assuming all the parts play together) -- one a 1500 lumen flamethrower and the second a fairly normal 320/128/32 lumen output light -- 30 hours of runtime at the low setting. SolarForce 320 lumen 3 mode .8-4.2volt bulb

Interesting, but the only review of the bulb complained that it didn't fit correctly (too long) in a Surefire 6P. LOL. I had just the opposite problem with a 6P bulb being too short for the L2P (hence the beginning of this project). The bulb I originally bought fit perfectly in my SF 6P and that is now a great light, albeit CR123A only.

Parts is parts.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 01/13/16 12:15 AM

Russ... I think you will really like an L2 with the low voltage XP-G R5 and a single 18650....my single mode smooth reflector is good for 100+ meters illuminating a river bank

ETA... I used the extra Solar Force head/bezel to replace the round Surefire 6P head... the polycarbonate(?) lens had been deformed, probably during its incandescent life

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 01/13/16 06:41 PM

Les - Thanks for the edit comments. It never crossed my mind to move the 6P head with that 300 lumen LED module over to the SolarForce battery tube. Hmmm -- more experimenting ....

BTW, I find the 300 Lumen level to be a sweet spot. It takes a lot more Lumens and battery energy to get an appreciable illumination effect. In many cases much less light is plenty. That's the reason I'm going with three 18650's with the K3.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 01/22/16 04:58 AM

Alrighty then... Just tried my SolarForce L2P with a three mode P60 (Cree XPG R5) LED module which is good for 320 lumen with reduced modes of 40% and 10%. This is a nice light, very similar to a Surefire 6P but designed for an 18650 Li-Ion battery. Kicker is that I can add a tube extension which allows the light to run two 18650 batteries and then I can change the head to the M3 that LesSnyder has mentioned. That is a very nice light -- each mode is about double the Lumen output of the standard SolarForce L2P with the P60 module.

Parts is parts.

The K3's 1500 Lumen is double the output of the M3 at 750 Lumen, but it's not that simple. From my very subjective evaluation, the SolarForce K3 puts out a lot of light, but the M3's light is more focused with a better defined hotspot and a reduced corona; the K3 is more floody. IMO the M3 is a more efficient light and will allow the batteries to last longer. The M3 is really impressive, but I'm not sure the battery drain is justified. YMMV

These are well made lights, smooth threads with good tolerances. Put the parts together and they work.

Everything was ordered through Amazon.

Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 - 01/22/16 06:50 AM

Nice! I'm glad it's a good light.