Prepping for international travel?

Posted by: Bingley

Prepping for international travel? - 12/06/15 10:06 AM

I'm going to be making my first extended trip overseas -- I'm going to Switzerland, with a detour to France (probably Paris). How should I prepare for this trip, both in terms of emergency prep and convenience? Here's my list thus far --

• Figure out how to have cell phone/mobile data access in foreign countries. Does anyone have experience with this?
  • Get local currency -- Swiss Francs and Euros.
  • I'll have to look for some sort of translation app or dictionary app. It needs to work without internet access (i.e., I can't count on being able to use Google Translate).
  • Maybe a phrasebook in case my cell phone battery ran out?
  • Look into health/accident insurance while traveling abroad (I think my current health insurance has some sort of coverage for that -- good time to find out exactly what).
  • Refill my meds
  • Transformer and power plug adapters so I can use 220V sockets with a funny shape. Will need to power a computer, recharge batteries (for cell & cameras).
  • My EDC kit
  • I don't know what sort of knife I can have/carry in those countries. I'll have my knifeless Leatherman.
  • Should I even bother with getting a SW radio??? In case things go so wrong that I can't get news from the internet (prolonged blackout) and getting news from the US (or in English) via SW would make a significant difference for me. Right now I'm leaning towards no, because if things got so bad, I don't know a radio would make much of a difference.
  • Set up home security monitoring so I can keep an eye on things at home from abroad.

Is there anything else I should do?

I realize the US State Dept. has issued a warning for international travelers until sometime in February. I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for suicide bombers.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/06/15 12:01 PM

Switzerland is pretty expensive, so don’t be shocked by the prices. Note, that the Swiss speak French or 'German' (I can understand normal German, but Swiss German... no idea what they are saying).

Most Swiss can speak English. The French, depends on the location. Tourist locations yes, other locations no or they understand English, but speak back in French. It is appreciated when people do try to speak the local languages.

As for medication; prescriptions medication is on prescription only. What is over the counter, depends on the country.

For knifes, I never had issues with a SAK or opinel. No problems making lunch on a city square with either of them.

Note; the Swiss autobahn has a speed limit. Foreign driver can pay on the spot.
Posted by: bws48

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/06/15 01:18 PM

• Figure out how to have cell phone/mobile data access in foreign countries. Does anyone have experience with this?

Check with your carrier to see if they have a plan that will fit your needs and budget. Also, if you have a GSM phone, you can buy a sim card with data and voice locally and usually cheaply. BUT your GSM phone must be unlocked. Again, check with your carrier; some will do a full unlock, or they may give you a temporary unlock, e.g. 30 days. I have an unlocked GSM phone and just get a local sim and one month plan (with 1 gig of data.)

• Get local currency -- Swiss Francs and Euros.

If you intend to use your credit card, it has to be “chip and pin.” Many of the credit cards being issued here now have the chip, but require a signature. This may cause a problem or confusion overseas. My credit card company was able to add a pin to my card so I could use it in Europe.

• I'll have to look for some sort of translation app or dictionary app. It needs to work without internet access (i.e., I can't count on being able to use Google Translate).

Google Translate will let you download a language for offline use. They also have a way to take an image of a sign and translate it, but I was not successful in making it work. YMMV

• Look into health/accident insurance while traveling abroad (I think my current health insurance has some sort of coverage for that -- good time to find out exactly what).

Can be expensive; last time, a little over 2 weeks coverage cost me like 200 dollars, but it was required for me to get a visa to the country I was visiting.

• Refill my meds

Make sure they are in the container from the pharmacy. Loose pills invite attention.

• Transformer and power plug adapters so I can use 220V sockets with a funny shape. Will need to power a computer, recharge batteries (for cell & cameras).

You definitely need the plug adaptors, but may not need the transformer; check the small print on the power adaptors; many OEM models will handle 220v 50cycle. Many aftermarket ones will not. Also check Amazon and search for “voltage converter kits” These kits will have plug adaptors for everything in Europe, and a small voltage transformer for 220 to 120 conversion in case you do need it. These kits are usually in the 30 Dollar range.

• I don't know what sort of knife I can have/carry in those countries. I'll have my knifeless Leatherman.

I put a SAK in my checked bag; a “sportsman” model, one with a corkscrew, which may be put to its intended use in France. Just don’t flash it.

• Should I even bother with getting a SW radio??? In case things go so wrong that I can't get news from the internet (prolonged blackout) and getting news from the US (or in English) via SW would make a significant difference for me. Right now I'm leaning towards no, because if things got so bad, I don't know a radio would make much of a difference.

I always take one, a small Grundig mini world 100PE, about 15 – 20 years old. Never “needed” it, but like to check out the local radio stations and I could usually get the BBC on a fairly regular basis via SW. Internet has mostly replaced it, but I still think it is worthwhile to take, and it is small enough so as not to be a burden.
Posted by: Ian

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/06/15 04:16 PM

Whilst all of that may or may not be useful all you really need is a credit card and perhaps a little cash for small purchases and tips. Your card will work OK but chip and pin is more convenient.

Should you need anything else you can get it here, borrow adaptors from the hotel, English works everywhere, skip the knife; more trouble than it is worth, and so on.
Posted by: Pete

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/07/15 03:24 AM

Bingley

Have a terrific time in Switzerland.
Forget about suicide bombers. You will not see any.

The only problem that you will have in Switzerland - everything costs a LOT of money. Even simple things, like buying a cooked breakfast, are very expensive compared to the USA.

You do need a phrase book.
It would be helpful to have several different credit cards.
Please make sure that you call all of the credit card companies before you depart the USA and let them know the dates of your travel.

The biggest safety device you would probably need ... is just a cell phone in Switzerland. I am sure you can probably buy a SIM card there for your phone, but ask around.

Other stuff, I wouldn't even worry about. Enjoy the Alps ... hope you have a great time!!

Ohh and my travel tip - each time you leave the airline desk at the airport ... take a quick second look for your stuff. It is super-easy to forget your passport at the airline desk. The same thing applies on the airplane. Check the seat pockets carefully before you get off. It is very easy to put something important into a seat pocket, and then forget it.

Pete
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/07/15 05:33 PM

My tidbits...

Get a good man bag. You will be carrying more stuff. Most important, you should be walking around with your passport. Personally, having important stuff spread around multiple pockets is a creative way for me to lose something. I use the Maxpedition Remora.

For short trips of 2 weeks or less, I use Verizon's new "Travel Pass" feature. It is a good option if you just want to get there and spend a week looking for a better long term option.

Upon arrival wherever I go, I try to go grocery shopping and stock up on water. I just went to St. Maarten (Dutch). One day, the city cut off the water for half a day for maintenance, no warning, and locals were acting like it was not a big deal. So, I don't assume the mindsets are going to be the same. People may fundamentally think differently.

Have fun. Don't over prep to the point you can't have a good time. Your knowledge and know-how is your best prep. Many times, working through issues leads to the best stories and ends up being the most endearing part of the trip. Also, learning how to do more with less is a valuable survival skill.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/07/15 05:50 PM

get a passport pouch.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/07/15 06:31 PM

Maybe buy a "Swiss" army knife there?
Posted by: Blast

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/08/15 04:40 AM

Figure out where the local U.S. embassies are (address, email, and phone number) in case something happens.
-Blast

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/08/15 05:25 AM

Thanks, everyone! Maybe I will get a Swiss Army Knife while in Switzerland. Do you think they have special editions sold only over there?

Things I've discovered that could be useful for other Americans traveling abroad:
  • Sign up for Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), run by the State Dept. They'll notify you when bad things happen. https://step.state.gov/step/
  • Credit cards! Call your credit card company so let them know your travel plans so they don't disable your card when they get a charge from wherever. Also, learn about "foreign transaction fees" and such: http://europeforvisitors.com/europe/articles/atm_conversion_fees.htm
  • I read about the different ways in which people used SW radios while traveling, and I think my chances of needing SW while in a major city in Switzerland is nearly nil. It seems like SW is useful when (1) you're in a place with poor infrastructure; (2) you're in a place that could suffer blackouts or internet outage; (3) you're in a country that might cut your information off.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/08/15 03:59 PM

Great advice in this thread. Here's what I did last time:
  • Preloaded my iPhone with maps that didn't depend on a data connection, and those maps having important locations (my hotel, the office where I was working, US embassy and consulate) marked
  • Arranged for a local cellphone
  • Let my credit card issuers know the dates of my overseas travel
  • Researched the best way to obtain local currency and how commonly US dollars are accepted in its place
  • Bought a money belt and put five hundred dollar bills in it for emergencies
  • Bought a hidden passport wallet and wore my passport everywhere I went
  • Took a picture of the photo page of my passport and made sure I could get it from my personal email account or from my phone
  • Talked with my coworkers who live in that country before arriving and during my stay regarding safety issues
  • Had my corporate and legal travel permissions in order
  • Enrolled in STEP
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/09/15 03:08 PM

To add a few minor tips: Switzerland is one of the safest countries on Earth, everything is very expensive indeed (downright exorbitant at times) but other than that, you really shouldn't expect any difficulty.

France is a little different. The countryside is generally very pleasant and charming, but Paris (and several other major cities) can be a little stressful at first. The current security level in Paris is very high, so this might be one of the safest times to visit actually.

Nonetheless, street crime in Paris is a fairly serious problem by European standards. Not just in the suburbs, even downtown. I was nearly mugged once in broad daylight on a major avenue near Bastille and had several other unpleasant experiences elsewhere (particularly at Gare du Nord). So it's best to stay sharp and avoid wandering around at night on your own unless you know exactly what you're doing.

You may carry a non-locking folding knife with a reasonably small blade (3" or less IIRC) without any undue concern. Just don't flash it in public places. Carrying a folding knife in a bag rather than in a pocket/ready for instant deployment is a good idea, could save you some trouble. Either way, you may expect some leeway as a foreign tourist as long as you behave yourself.

If by some chance you find yourself in any kind of situation involving the French police do exactly as you're told, without the slightest hesitation or resistance. Keep in mind that the French legislation is very strict in some respects and the police has a lot of authority compared to many other Western countries. Any attempt whatsoever to resist or disobey an LEO will get you in a world of trouble fast.

As far as SW radio, I don't think it's needed other than for purely personal enjoyment (if that's your kind of thing). Both Switzerland and France have excellent infrastructure and access to information is going to be easily available, particularly in the urban areas.

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/09/15 03:30 PM

Bingley - I forgot to tell you the most important advice.
It is very possible that your normal medical insurance will cover you during travel to Europe. Many people travel to Europe and I have never heard of any problems.

But if you want some extra coverage, the best travel insurance I have ever found is "TRAVMED" insurance. I will try and find the link for you. It's not expensive, and it covers a lot of situations. I always get a TravMed policy when I am going overseas.

Also, if you are going to Europe - it is guaranteed that the electric supply (voltage) and the plugs for the electrical connections will be different than the American plugs. This is always a nuisance. There is a store online that sells adapters, so you can plug in an American appliance anywhere in the world. I will find the link and send it to you. If you only need to charge a cell phone, you can buy a plug-in USB charger in Switzerland. But if you need to charge your laptop, you will need an adapter.

cheers,
Pete

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/10/15 06:45 PM

Thanks for all the input!

My current insurance covers international travel, and it even has providers in the city I'm going to, so I think I should be OK. I got a voltage converter and plug converter, and since we're all gadget guys, I wouldn't mind seeing Pete's recommendations.

It sounds like people here carry their passports with them all the time when traveling abroad. So do you buy into the RFID protection thing? How big of a risk is identity theft (or anything else) from RFID, and do pouches come equipped with proper protection? (I'm guessing a conductor-lined bag will provide the Faraday cage necessary to prevent transmission.)

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/10/15 07:25 PM

US passports are supposedly protected against RFID skimming when closed. I bought a passport wallet with RFID protection anyway. It was too cheap to not do it and I didn't want to invest the time and effort to build an RFID pentesting lab.

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/10/15 07:47 PM

I also use a Passport RF protective sleeve when I travel; it does not have to be expensive or fancy. Here is what I use: http://www.amazon.com/Blocking-Passport-...rfid+protection

And I do carry my passport at all times. It is just not something you want to be without.

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/10/15 10:27 PM

Wow, bw48, there are RFID sleeves for credit cards? Just how many RFID scanning thieves do we have? Is it common practice to protect your credit cards with such sleeves in Europe?

Maybe I can make my own with tinfoil. After all, I made a wonderful hat.

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/10/15 10:50 PM

I am not sure the credit card sleeves are required with the new generation of chipped cards. Some of the older cards had true RFID chips that could be easily read from a distance. I have not been able to find a definitive answer about the risks from the present generation of chipped cards, but I figured why take a chance. My bank has the sleeves available if you ask for them, so I think there is a risk, however small it may be.

As a general rule, although chip and pin cards are better than swiped cards, they are still fairly vulnerable to hacking/fraud. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks0SOn8hjG8

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/11/15 01:07 AM

I'm not aware of any current-issue US credit cards with RFID chips. I don't know of any way to remotely read electronic data from such a card from more than at most a few inches away.
Posted by: Lono

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/11/15 01:21 AM

It might be nice to use your US cell phone overseas but I have never done so, and tend to purchase a new cheap cell phone in destinations right at the airport on the way to the hotel. A few Euros and then fees for time and data get you online quick enough. You may actually need a new cell or a new SIM one for Switzerland and one for France, don't know. A local phone will also give you a fresh phone number to share out while you are travelling in country.

I have enjoyed travelling with a tablet device for email access and Skype conversations, a Surface which will connect via Wifi, no data plan necessary. Good also for playing music and movies that I take along, as US subscription services aren't generally accessible from overseas.

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/11/15 04:59 AM

An external battery for charging your laptop and cellphone on a long flight seemed like a good idea. I almost clicked on the buy button, but then I realized In most cases, I wouldn't use it for work. It's just to keep myself entertained on the plane. Well, I can still avail myself of the old reliable solution of reading a book.

The only remaining argument is that I could use the external battery even when I'm not on a trip. But then portable batteries are not designed expressly for that purpose...
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/11/15 09:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Wow, bw48, there are RFID sleeves for credit cards? Just how many RFID scanning thieves do we have? Is it common practice to protect your credit cards with such sleeves in Europe?

Maybe I can make my own with tinfoil. After all, I made a wonderful hat.

The sleeves are sold in Europe, but except for the safety/security conscious people, rarely used.

However cards are generally PIN protected and for private use most people only use debit cards, not credit cards. I only use a credit card if a deposit is required (hotels, rental cars).

Note; that some small shops sometimes won’t except credit cards, only debit or cash. So peak at the stickers at the front to see if they accept them.

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/11/15 03:51 PM

Bingley - you are going to one of the safest places in Europe, and probably in the world. I think that it's very unlikely that you will have any personal safety issues, or any problems with credit cards.

I have travelled to a LOT of very scummy places (especially Africa) and nobody stole any credit card information there. Of course, I was watching to ensure that nobody stuck a knife between my ribs. But I think that you will have an excellent time in Switzerland. Other countries in Europe are more of a problem, but not where you are going.

Your biggest problem is the HIGH prices for everything. I would tell you to pack some peanut butter so you can make sandwiches, but I don't think they will let it into the country.

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/11/15 05:46 PM

We are just starting to get RFID enabled cards in the UK, known as 'Contactless Cards'. They have RFID, chips and magnetic stripes. It won't be long until all cards have them.

They have a small symbol on them:

http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/assets/images/bank/contactless/contactless-debit-card.png

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/11/15 07:27 PM

I remain confused about the difference between the "RFID" card and the chip and pin (or signature) card. My understanding (very possibly wrong) is that an RFID card can be read by a bad guy with a covert scanner at about 1 foot distance, or a bit more. Thus, when standing in line, almost anywhere, someone near you can hack your card while you just stand there with the card in your pocket.

In the USA, the RFID cards were promoted as being able to just be "waved" over the payment terminal instead of being "swiped."

Then came the present generation of "Chipped" cards which must be inserted into the terminal for several seconds.

It is totally unclear to me if the Chipped cards can be read and hacked from a distance, even if only a few inches. It appears they can, but I have no definitive information on this. Thus, given the lack of information, I use the RFID metal foil sleeves.

Any clarification, directly or a site to review, on this would be greatly appreciated and help in keeping the card secure.

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/11/15 07:42 PM

The card chips have electrical contacts that need physical, mechanical, connection to the reader. They can't be read from a distance.

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/11/15 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Ian
The card chips have electrical contacts that need physical, mechanical, connection to the reader. They can't be read from a distance.

Exactly. RFID chips are typically read from between three to six inches, but can be read at up to thirty feet with the right equipment. A moderately-skilled bad guy could build a pocket-sized RFID sniffer that would collect data from all the RFID chips carried by people walking by on a sidewalk.

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/11/15 10:53 PM

Pete -- thanks for your reassurance! I'm actually not worried. Just taking some basic precautions. Getting my data stolen because of a criminally operated RFID scanner seems unlikely to me, but I need a pouch to carry the passport and other stuff anyway.

I signed up for STEP, and got a warning from the State Dept. They're chasing down five terrorists in Switzerland, I guess. I actually figure that'd make things safer -- all these cops around, it takes a really incompetent terrorist to actually try anything. But if I end up having to subdue a terrorist by tying him up with the lanyard from my RFID-proof pouch, and perhaps use my Leatherman to get the code from him for disarming the bomb, I'll be sure to give a shout out to my homies on equipped!

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 12/25/15 09:10 AM

Something I learned the hard way --

If you're able to set up VPN, whether through your own genius or through your employer, before going abroad would be a good time to get VPN. You'll end up using public wifi a lot, and on a prolonged trip, sometimes you may have to log in to your bank account or to work.

Be ready to re-authenticate your accounts. Your account administrators can tell what country you're logging in from, and sometimes they think logging in from a foreign country means someone has stolen your password. So make sure you have everything you need to authenticate (e.g., access to your back up account, knowing how to re-enter password on your app, etc.).

Fortunately I informed your credit card companies before traveling so they don't block my account upon receiving a charge from a foreign country on suspicion of fraud.

Having a phone that can do SMS is a good idea. Some places offer free wifi, but only if you enter a code that they send you through SMS.

You can't rely on streaming video service THAT YOU HAVE PAID FOR to entertain you when you're abroad. There are apparently laws against streaming videos across countries. I personally find it absurd.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 03/11/16 10:21 PM

when vacationing I'm outside almost the whole day - so more sunscreen, jacket, hat and water. On business, back up paperwork and power ( batteries)

Re: Prepping for international travel? - 03/12/16 04:27 AM

I'll be heading overseas again soon. Fortunately, I'm not going anywhere worrisome and I'll mostly be concerned about sunscreen and paying for drinks.