PocketRocket knockoff questions

Posted by: xavier01

PocketRocket knockoff questions - 11/22/15 05:04 AM

I have two of the PocketRocket knockoffs.

When I screw on a canister (Primus Power Gas) on one, fuel sprays out. On the other stove, no fuel sprays out. Does anyone know why this is and is there a way to keep this wasting-of-fuel from happening?

Thank you, Sincerely.
Posted by: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Re: PocketRocket knockoff questions - 11/22/15 08:56 AM

smile having read some posts on adventuresinstoving (esp refilling and thread care ) maybe you have damaged threads or damaged valve?

Is this the stove orange box? Maybe you're missing an o-ring? (says a complaint in reviews)
Posted by: hikermor

Re: PocketRocket knockoff questions - 11/22/15 05:02 PM

Is the fuel spray just a short burst, or does it continue? A brief bust is fairly normal, but continued spray is likely a missing o-ring....

Of course, you could get a real Pocket Rocket. Mine has worked flawlessly for fifteen years and continues to be my most used cooker. It is even an ounce lighter than the knock-off....
Posted by: Tjin

Re: PocketRocket knockoff questions - 11/22/15 08:13 PM

Does it leak at the location where the valve attaches? Or does it leak from the jet.

- In the first case, check o-ring and if the lenght of the pin (the thing that pushes at the canister valve, is the correct lenght. Too long and you won't engage the o-ring. Too short and it won't open the valve. (tolerance issue with cheap stuff).
- In the last case, make sure the valve is turned off before screwing on the stove.
Posted by: xavier01

Re: PocketRocket knockoff questions - 11/26/15 11:04 PM

Hi.

I can't see where the leak is coming from. As I screw the stove into the tank, just before the stove washer meets with the stove, I get a spray of extremely cold gas coming out from the entire circumference in between the washer and the stove. I have to continue screwing in for another approx. 1 and a half turns before the rubber washer meets with the stove. Until they meet, I get quite a blast of cold gas on my arm. If the coldness were my only concern, I could just put on a long sleeve, but I am concerned with the amount of gas I lose also.

Is this a tolerance problem mentioned above?

Thank you very much for your input.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: PocketRocket knockoff questions - 11/27/15 08:11 AM

Originally Posted By: xavier01
Hi.

I can't see where the leak is coming from. As I screw the stove into the tank, just before the stove washer meets with the stove, I get a spray of extremely cold gas coming out from the entire circumference in between the washer and the stove. I have to continue screwing in for another approx. 1 and a half turns before the rubber washer meets with the stove. Until they meet, I get quite a blast of cold gas on my arm. If the coldness were my only concern, I could just put on a long sleeve, but I am concerned with the amount of gas I lose also.

Is this a tolerance problem mentioned above?

Thank you very much for your input.

Not sure which stove you have. But the MSR Pocket Rocker has two seals. One o-ring at the valve and a rubber washer that sit on the shoulder of the canister. The last one is more of a backup seal and is more of a thing protect the valve from torque forces. On new lightweight stoves they skip that part to save weight.

You always get some leakage at the o-ring at the valve when screw a stove on a canister, but only a short burst. If it's more, but stops after continuous screwing it on, it's probably manufacturing tolerances or you have a o-ring that leaks/is absent. The o-ring must seal the leak. The rubber washer isn’t what is supposed to keep the gas in.