Smartphone Thermal night vision

Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Smartphone Thermal night vision - 10/22/15 04:27 AM

Thermal night vision for a Android Smartphone!

Therm-App. A 384 x 288, 17µ thermal detector micro bolometer camera array attachment for around $1000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmA-2Gkhytw

But will it allow you to see the Zombies in the dark?
Posted by: Herman30

Re: Smartphone Thermal night vision - 10/22/15 06:08 AM

confused But would it not cost less to get a real nightvision device?
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Smartphone Thermal night vision - 10/22/15 06:21 AM

A typical FLIR with similar resolution and capability would cost around $3000 e.g

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J2K..._1_2&sr=8-2
Posted by: Alex

Re: Smartphone Thermal night vision - 10/22/15 04:09 PM

It seems to me I saw a similar bolometer array for only $300 a couple of years ago. Ah, I see this one is with better resolution. Very cool indeed!
Posted by: wileycoyote

Re: Smartphone Thermal night vision - 10/23/15 04:05 PM

i think you're talking about FLIR One

http://flir.com/flirone/content/?id=69506
Posted by: Alex

Re: Smartphone Thermal night vision - 10/23/15 07:28 PM

That's right, in fact, they are comparing the two in the video above.
Posted by: Burncycle

Re: Smartphone Thermal night vision - 10/23/15 11:40 PM

I've been following this since release. As mentioned above, a similar setup (all in one instead of a smartphone attachment) runs significantly higher and typically has lower resolution.

There's no comparison between this and FLIR one IMO, the resolution you get for the price is just incredible and marks the first really affordable consumer thermal worth a darn. The $1,000 price tag was the initial price, it's closer to $2,000 now, but still a good buy IMO.

The limiting factor IIRC was the refresh rate due to export laws (it's from Israel if I remember right), but it's still quite usable as the videos show.
Posted by: WesleyH

Re: Smartphone Thermal night vision - 05/26/16 08:53 AM

Nope, apparently according to the latest research, zombies are known to ART (Assume Room Temperature) and as such would not stand out from background temperature, thus no differential of import. .

They would not show up. . literally. . .
Posted by: wileycoyote

Re: Smartphone Thermal night vision - 05/26/16 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: WesleyH

Nope, apparently according to the latest research, zombies are known to ART (Assume Room Temperature) and as such would not stand out from background temperature, thus no differential of import. .

They would not show up. . literally. . .

well rats, that kills it for me. it was my only reason for wanting one.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Smartphone Thermal night vision - 05/26/16 07:43 PM

That depends on the type of zombie. I Am Legend has fever zombies -- the zombie virus is postulated to elevate body temperature, creating a super fast zombie.

Anyway, $1,000 is still a lot of money for something with limited application. For the average civilian, I can think of two situations:

-- Finding wounded, unconscious people in the dark, or perhaps children too scared to cry out.

-- Identifying threatening individuals in a dangerous situation.

In both situation you need stealth for some reason, otherwise you can just use a regular flashlight. Any other uses?
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Smartphone Thermal night vision - 05/26/16 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Bingley

That depends on the type of zombie. I Am Legend has fever zombies -- the zombie virus is postulated to elevate body temperature, creating a super fast zombie.

In both situation you need stealth for some reason, otherwise you can just use a regular flashlight. Any other uses?

I disagree with the ART based assumption on two basis. Different surface = different emissivity = it'll show up on a thermal scope. I've used thermal cameras, and the markings on a steel ruler will show up nicely. Even through the difference in surface temperature between the marked and unmarked surfaces is negligible. So, rottoing Zombie will not show up the same as floors or walls. Second: Movement creates heat. If zed is moving, it will be not be room temp.

On a somewhat tangent subject, wouldn't scopes with IR emitters fill the same stealth requirements (unless dealing with somebody who already has $$$ night vision gear, like ending up in the middle of military coup)

http://www.amazon.com/Firefield-Nightfall-Night-Vision-Monocular/dp/B00FWG9LNY/ref=pd_sim_421_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Aja38%2BFIL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=10M44KS32RX8JK6RKZZH