What don't you EDC?

Posted by: TeacherRO

What don't you EDC? - 09/21/15 07:33 PM

What have you stopped or never did every day carry that some people do?
Esp. interested in what you thought you might need but never used.

Teacher
Posted by: clearwater

Re: What don't you EDC? - 09/21/15 09:11 PM

More than 1 knife.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: What don't you EDC? - 09/21/15 09:31 PM

Cell phone belt pouch/holster/clip - kept catching on things.

The latest and greatest portable tech - I know it costs $50, but it does what I need it to, and I get to keep the additional $400 in my pocket.

Gel pens - Leak a lot, and difficult/impossible to wash out. Capped ballpoints almost exclusively for EDC.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: What don't you EDC? - 09/21/15 09:51 PM

Food. I replaced what was in my pockets with what is around my middle.
Posted by: haertig

Re: What don't you EDC? - 09/21/15 10:09 PM

A multi-tool or Swiss Army knife. I just EDC a folding knife now, and take my box of tools along if I will be doing something requiring that.
Posted by: ZenEngineer

Re: What don't you EDC? - 09/22/15 01:01 AM

Gum - stopped eating sugar, and don't like artificial sweeteners
chapstick - not worth the carry for infrequent chapped lips
Posted by: hikermor

Re: What don't you EDC? - 09/22/15 03:26 AM

I carry an emergency stash of $$. Haven't had to use it yet, but just one time will be worth it....
Posted by: gallihand

Re: What don't you EDC? - 09/22/15 04:35 AM

I stopped carrying most things.

I used to have a small FAK. I used the bandaids a few times but that was about it so that has been removed.
Most of my wallet. I really only carry two credit cards and my driver's license now. I keep some cash at home and in my car in case I need it. All those other cards that companies want me to keep sit in my glovebox.
I still carry a small notebook, pens and cellphone, but everything else has been pared down.

Re: What don't you EDC? - 09/22/15 06:37 AM

I never carried as much as some people, but I stripped everything down to just what I actually USE every single day. Wallet, cellphone, folding knife, flashlight, wristwatch (OK - in truth, some days the phone never rings, and many days I never touch the wallet). I also carry two things I don't use every day, but would never leave home without, and hope to never need to use - a firearm and spare magazine. That's it. I am very minimalist now. Everything else I carry in a bail out bag that may or may not go in the car with me, depending on where I'm heading and what I'm planning on doing. Lots of stuff in that bail out bag for sure, but it doesn't ride in pants pockets anymore, so not what you'd term EDC. It's typically close at hand, but not physically on me any more.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: What don't you EDC? - 09/22/15 01:51 PM

I used to carry three extra magazines, then two, and now most days it's one.

Wristwatches started aggravating my tendonitis, my phone started having a clock on it, so I stopped wearing one most of the time, excepting my GPS watch when running.

I traded glasses for contact lenses -- they work better for me. But sunglasses became a must.

Re: What don't you EDC? - 09/22/15 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
But sunglasses became a must.

I switched from a second, tinted pair of my prescription glasses to "Cocoons" (they go over my regular glasses). One good thing about getting older, you are allowed to wear things like that without embarrassment. Actually, you're expected to look like that! Best sunglasses I have ever owned. They keep the direct sunlight out from all directions, not just from the front like my old prescription ones did.
Posted by: Russ

Re: What don't you EDC? - 09/22/15 02:57 PM

My EDC pocket carry has been minimized to a quality locking folder (usually a BM 940), a minimal set of keys (house & truck), my $ wallet with ID, ATM & credit cards (thin and light) and sunglasses (it's SOCAL). Everything else is in my EDC backpack which stays in the truck -- normally close by. I can take it with but usually don't.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: What don't you EDC? - 09/22/15 10:14 PM

My EDC has expanded more than contracted. I did reluctantly ditch my SAS in favor of a Spyderco Dragonfly a few years ago;I really liked having the small scissors but I found the actual knife blade to be wanting.

I too have scaled back to just one spare magazine for my sidearm.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: What don't you EDC? - 09/23/15 04:25 AM

I don't carry a handgun. I haven't gone through the hassle of trying to get a Cali permit. Even if I had a permit, I'm not sure if I would carry anyway. The trouble a handgun could give me outweighs the unlikely benefit...personal decision.

I don't carry a multi-tool. A pocket knife covers most of my emergency tool needs.

I don't carry a separate flashlight when I'm cutting as much weight as possible. I honestly haven't used my flashlight in about a year. When I need a light, I've been using my cell phone's light.

Instead of a wallet or a money clip, has anybody here tried using a strong rubber band around their credit cards and cash?
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: What don't you EDC? - 09/24/15 01:20 AM

Quote:
Instead of a wallet or a money clip, has anybody here tried using a strong rubber band around their credit cards and cash?

I haven't tried a rubber band. Instead of a money clip, I use one of the medium black binder clips. Most money clips I've tried can't handle a decent amount of cash without stretching out over time. The only ones that haven't are titanium.

Re: What don't you EDC? - 09/24/15 06:26 AM

That's one trouble I don't have...I don't have enough money to break a money clip! whistle grin
Posted by: Bingley

Re: What don't you EDC? - 09/24/15 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: ireckon

I usually carry a few thousand dollars in a roll secured by a rubber band when I go to my night shift working for the mob. I learned that from Donnie Brasco. Financial transactions with credit cards? Fuggedaboutit!

grin
Posted by: ireckon

Re: What don't you EDC? - 09/24/15 09:55 PM

Does anybody here NOT carry a man bag? My man bag makes life fun and easy.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: What don't you EDC? - 09/25/15 07:13 AM

I don't. Wallet (has some bandaids and such), keys, phone, flashlight, SAK and a pack of tissues. All fit in my pockets or are on my belt.

Re: What don't you EDC? - 09/25/15 07:19 AM

Nope, just a wallet. The only time I do have a "man bag" is when I'm headed to a coffee shop or cafe to have some tea and slurp some wireless with my Galaxy Pro 8.4 tablet. I've got a small sling bag that neatly holds my tablet, charger, and pen & notebook along with a spare tactical-type light (currently an old Surefire 6P upgraded with a Malkoff M61 LED dropin) and an extra spare mag for my sidearm. On my day off I like to spend an hour or two lounging at a local sidewalk cafe to there I usually have my bag. I would hate to carry it around all the time, though.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: What don't you EDC? - 09/25/15 12:14 PM

It depends on what I am doing and where I am going. If I am carrying a bag, it usually takes the form of a small backpack or messenger bag. If it is rural or remote, the bag is larger and I carry more supplies. My work environment changes, and my bag choice adapts to the situation.