Anyone using the Sawyer mini-filter?

Posted by: TeacherRO

Anyone using the Sawyer mini-filter? - 09/03/15 03:56 PM

Just got mine, have yet to use it in the field.

TRO
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Anyone using the Sawyer mini-filter? - 09/03/15 05:33 PM

Yes, not much to say about it. Mount it on the bottle and squeeze. Just make sure you back flush it after use and know that you will not reach the stated capacity.
Posted by: Alex

Re: Anyone using the Sawyer mini-filter? - 09/03/15 08:39 PM

Got it in spring for the hiking bag. Didn't use it yet (just tested its sucking resistance with tap water smile ).
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Anyone using the Sawyer mini-filter? - 09/04/15 08:33 PM

Isn't the stated capacity 100,000 gallons? Not worried about that
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Anyone using the Sawyer mini-filter? - 09/04/15 10:33 PM

Love it. Use it on pop bottles, and as an inline filter on a platy. Even as gravity fed

No waiting. Just be sure and add your lemonade mix AFTER you run it through the filter. (New scout not yet sure of the concept, tried that).
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Anyone using the Sawyer mini-filter? - 09/05/15 06:11 AM

I bought several for our family. My SIL and I use them occasionally. I've probably run 80 gallons through mine so far without backflushing it and no apparent change in function. Considering what I spent on a Katadyn Pocket filter which has considerably less capacity and is quite a bit heavier and larger, I'd say the Sawyer is a great value for the money comparatively.
Posted by: Burncycle

Re: Anyone using the Sawyer mini-filter? - 09/05/15 07:43 PM

As much as I would like to be an avid adventurer, I may only get the chance to go do something a few times a year. Unlike a lot of the higher end hand pump filters, the sawyer mini is almost disposable at its $20 price point, so instead of being super unsure about its status after months and months between use I planned to just get a fresh one. Great value for money.

There is no carbon element so it's not going to do much for taste and it won't get teeny viruses, but depending on where you live that might not be a big deal. I still have tablets and a means to boil so it's just part of a system.
Posted by: frediver

Re: Anyone using the Sawyer mini-filter? - 09/07/15 06:23 PM

The key to a long life for these filters is cleaning (easy) and drying them between uses (storage) not so easy.
With the original sawyer you could open them up to dry, now they are sealed. I prefer the original design. I bet it was the lawyers who decided to seal it.