Bowhunter says pistol, not bear spray, only option

Posted by: clearwater

Bowhunter says pistol, not bear spray, only option - 09/01/15 11:05 PM

Thought some of you might appreciate the fellows multi layer preparedness.

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors/...grizzly-attack/

"Losinski said Adams is left-handed and had bear pepper spray on his left side, but couldn’t get to it during the attack. Losinski said Adams with his right hand was able to reach his handgun on his right side and fire shots that Adams told officials he thought struck the bear."
Posted by: GoatRider

Re: Bowhunter says pistol, not bear spray, only option - 09/02/15 02:35 AM

Quote:
“He was doing off-hand shooting while being attacked by a bear,” Losinski said. “How accurate he may have been no one knows.”

If a bear is chewing on one arm, I don't think you need to be all that accurate.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Bowhunter says pistol, not bear spray, only option - 09/02/15 02:53 AM

The article title is a little misleading. The hunter didn't claim pistol was better than bear spray for bear defense. In truth:

Quote:
Losinski said Adams is left-handed and had bear pepper spray on his left side, but couldn’t get to it during the attack. Losinski said Adams with his right hand was able to reach his handgun on his right side and fire shots that Adams told officials he thought struck the bear.

It appears to me that the hunter had planned on using the bear spray as his first defense, because he put it on his strong side. The pistol was the backup. In this case, he used the backup. Isn't there a saying: two is one, and one is none? I'm glad it worked out.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Bowhunter says pistol, not bear spray, only option - 09/02/15 06:29 AM

He also packed it in a way that would create redundancy.
As I see it, this case is not bear pepper spray vs gun. It´s about justifiying the use of the gun against an animal protected by the Endangered Species Act (no judgement from my side).
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Bowhunter says pistol, not bear spray, only option - 09/02/15 07:59 AM

Wow, he really lucked out! Well, bad luck to be attacked but good luck to survive it. I hope the bear survived the wound and wasn't permanently disabled. The article makes it sound like it was just of "justified" on the bear's part give her knowledge of the situation and bear behavior.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Bowhunter says pistol, not bear spray, only option - 09/02/15 10:56 PM

Shot placement would be critical even at melee range with a 44 vs a mature grizzly. Even with the big Buffalo Bore loads I use (absolute maximum for my Super Redhawk), you'd still pretty much have to stick the muzzle into the bear's mouth or under his jaw and put it into his brain to positively stop an attack. Griz are tough.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Bowhunter says pistol, not bear spray, only option - 09/02/15 11:37 PM

Almost same story and only 24 hours later.

This bow hunter did not have a gun but he did seemingly manage to fend off the Grizzly attack with his bow.
Posted by: BruceZed

Re: Bowhunter says pistol, not bear spray, only option - 09/09/15 05:20 PM

Carrying a few Bear Deterrents is a good Idea. I still like Bear Spray as it is None Lethal to "Everyone Concerned" including those who are being attacked by a Bear when you arrive on scene and it is an "Area Weapon" which means it works even if the Bear simple bites into it. Lastly if you put you rifle aside to clean your game, it not there when you get attacked by the a Bear attracted to Blood Scent.

In the end any weapon is better than no weapon, I just wont go hunting without my Bear spray!