Pocket Survival & EDC Kit - Aluminum Container...

Posted by: cedfire

Pocket Survival & EDC Kit - Aluminum Container... - 03/08/15 07:08 PM

This just showed up the other day -- wanted something a little bigger (and sturdier) than an Altoids tin for putting together a small pocket survival kit. The container is Type III hard anodized aluminum, and while it looks heavy, it's actually very lightweight. So far, it seems to be working out well. Stuffed some survival and EDC goodies inside, and replaced the ferro rod in these pics with a Spark-Lite. Overall, it's not something you are likely to carry in a pair of jeans, but it definitely fits in cargo pants/shorts or a jacket pocket.

Flickr album link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/26438889@N08/sets/72157650992532671/
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Pocket Survival & EDC Kit - Aluminum Container... - 03/08/15 10:27 PM

Looks nice..Where can one obtain the container?
Posted by: barbakane

Re: Pocket Survival & EDC Kit - Aluminum Container... - 03/09/15 04:06 AM

I'd add paracord and maybe $20 cash..otherwise very nice. I take it you carry a separate knife/mt?

Re: Pocket Survival & EDC Kit - Aluminum Container... - 03/09/15 02:56 PM

Thanks! The container is from a company called Vigilant Gear. I believe ITS Tactical also carries a similar one. Then there is another company out there called Solkoa, and they make a container called a "Suma". I believe the dimensions are a little different, but still hard anodized aluminum with Velcro for retaining the lid.

Been back and forth over the years on including a knife in mini kits. Finally gave up and went with the folder already clipped to my pocket (Delica or Manix), and a MT and/or SAK in the EDC pack. For hiking, camping, and bushcraft-type activities there would be a fixed blade (BK2, BK11, or Mora) and folding saw tossed into the mix.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Pocket Survival & EDC Kit - Aluminum Container... - 03/09/15 03:39 PM

The link is http://www.vigilantgear.com/kit-container/.
Posted by: Alex

Re: Pocket Survival & EDC Kit - Aluminum Container... - 03/09/15 08:04 PM

$55 for a small velcro closure box with just a retro-reflective sticker on the inside?
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Pocket Survival & EDC Kit - Aluminum Container... - 03/09/15 11:06 PM

It is an almost identical copy of one issued in some military units. I am not a fan of a hard box in my pocket though.

Re: Pocket Survival & EDC Kit - Aluminum Container... - 03/09/15 11:11 PM

Agree, I have a few kits in Altoids tins and small Pelican cases and I don't carry them. I much prefer soft cases or simple pocket carry without a container.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Pocket Survival & EDC Kit - Aluminum Container... - 03/11/15 05:48 AM

Good looking container. Although I have to admit, I have an absurd amount of containers already. blush There are all the purpose built ones I've bought plus all the ones that were made for fishing, etc. that looked to be good for gear. And then of course there's an embarrassing amount of snacks, candy, teas, medicines etc that I purchased solely because they came in a good lookin' metal container. grin

Re: Pocket Survival & EDC Kit - Aluminum Container... - 03/11/15 02:09 PM

Thanks -- yeah, you know it's pretty bad when you're walking through a store and spot the "perfect" future PSK container. grin
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Pocket Survival & EDC Kit - Aluminum Container... - 03/11/15 05:35 PM

I have never found the "perfect" one, but hundreds of potentially perfect ones!
Posted by: haertig

Re: Pocket Survival & EDC Kit - Aluminum Container... - 03/12/15 07:12 PM

Good box or not, $55 is a ludicrous price for it. I won't be buying one. After reading the first part of this thread, I raced to the website with the intent to order one, then promptly closed the browser when I saw how much they wanted for it. They've got to be insane. Other than looking cheap and home made when used for a PSK, Altoids tins function just fine. And you get free mints when you buy one.

These $55 tins would be good companion gifts for people to keep their gold tipped titanium toothpicks in however.
Posted by: tomfaranda

Re: Pocket Survival & EDC Kit - Aluminum Container... - 03/12/15 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: haertig

These $55 tins would be good companion gifts for people to keep their gold tipped titanium toothpicks in however.

Or a new Apple watch.

Re: Pocket Survival & EDC Kit - Aluminum Container... - 03/12/15 07:44 PM

LOL ... totally OT but I cannot resist ... Why I Don't Want An Apple Watch (And It's Not Battery Life)

Re: Pocket Survival & EDC Kit - Aluminum Container... - 03/12/15 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By: haertig
Good box or not, $55 is a ludicrous price for it. I won't be buying one. After reading the first part of this thread, I raced to the website with the intent to order one, then promptly closed the browser when I saw how much they wanted for it. They've got to be insane.

LOL Just happy to have choices. grin

We all have our vices and hobbies. Some will drop thousands on a custom 1911. Others will splurge on shiny blades, fancy packs, the latest fishing gear, specialized optics, zoom lenses, imported watches, motorcycles, etc. The list goes on and on.

Sure, a folding knife and a disposable lighter from the convenience store is probably all that most of us need, but where's the fun in that? cool